• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom action choices

I'll tell you what Johnny get it and I'll kick in $200 for you and MY WORD is Solid... Tell me where to mail the check in a PM and its on the way...

You Can Thank me later... ;)

Mike R.

Wow. Take him up on his offer, OP. This man aint lyin. If Mike suggests something, you should probably seriously consider it. He's willing to give you $200 towards it too. Thats bad ass and awesome of Mike.

I mean, if you're purely looking for a custom set up on budget:

Bighorn Origin - $825
Northland Criterion pre-fit - $400 (pick a length and contour for hunting that suits you)
KRG X-Ray - $450
Triggertech Special - $175 (on sale at Midway)

Total = $1850

If your budget is really $2-2.5k... then get this setup, and spend $500 on ammo and/or a long range hunting course.

Reactions: Mdfowlman2
No it doesn't end there. Weight for one. And there's more if we dive into the mechanical properties of both.
I'm not so sure I like the mechanical properties of Ti for this application. My limited experience with Ti parts (not related to rifles in anyway) is that threaded parts seems to easily come loose??? I'm thinking steel action screws into a Ti action.

I understand its great strength to weight ratio (which is not to say anything about its absolute strength), rigidity, and corrosion resistance.

Can you please further explain what properties of Ti make it more suitable for an action aside from weight? I'm not a materials guy and what little I do know has led me to view Ti actions with a jaundiced eye. Please show me the error of my way. haha

You could go with a Impact barreled action and a KRG bravo stock and be right at 2500. You’d still need a trigger and a brake though.

Another option is to contact Deep South Tactical and ask about their $2500 production rifle with a Defiance action, Hart barrel, Trigger tech, and a MDT ACC chassis. Pretty hard to beat the rifle for that price

Basically every custom action nowadays has "tight" tolerances. That's why smiths can spin-up pre-fits without seeing the action. "Loose" tolerances would likely result in a higher percentage of bolts binding regardless of conditions.

Maybe you're trying to discuss clearances?
Sorry, wrong verbiage. Yes clearances, specifically between the bolt and action body/raceways. I’ve seen a defiance action so gummed up with just a days worth of dust it would barely move.

Sorry, wrong verbiage. Yes clearances, specifically between the bolt and action body/raceways. I’ve seen a defiance action so gummed up with just a days worth of dust it would barely move.
How much clearance did that Defiance action have?

Why the Ti over the steel Fuzion?

I understand the Ti is harder material but it ends there.
He stated he wanted a long range HUNTING Rifle so with the TI he can get a little liter...

Just a thought :)

Mike R.

Not sure, but defiance has very tight actions in general. Very glassy when they’re clean, but I’m not sure I’d use one on a hunting rifle. At least not out west where I’m at.

Can't Defiance actions be spec'd out for whatever bolt clearance you want? If they can, and im pretty positive they can, it's a non issue. Saying all Defiance actions are so tight they're unreliable in dirty conditions is wrong.

Reactions: Evlshnngns
He stated he wanted a long range HUNTING Rifle so with the TI he can get a little liter...

Just a thought :)

Mike R.
The Fusion Ti makes for a very nice hunting rifle. McMillan Mountaineer.
38F2F895-E4DE-4095-B7BF-A97F44756129.jpeg
7034DDA7-DBF0-4569-B7EF-3D4EA5F479CB.jpeg
AB852226-00FF-4EF4-9A5C-9D8BEAFE0127.jpeg
FE8485A4-372B-41D4-BC1D-598C9988C7EF.jpeg

Can't Defiance actions be spec'd out for whatever bolt clearance you want? If they can, and im pretty positive they can, it's a non issue. Saying all Defiance actions are so tight they're unreliable in dirty conditions is wrong.
I’m sure they can too. But I never said all of them are unreliable in dirty conditions, I said I saw one that wasn’t. Most of the guys I shoot with run defiance and have no problems. If they need to be specifically spec’d for that kind of thing, then that needs to be made more widely known. Maybe it is and I’m just ignorant to it.

Reactions: Gil P.
If you’re purely after performance then the Seekins PH2 is very hard to beat for an accurate, lightweight hunting rifle...it even comes with a warranty. However I completely understand if you want a custom rifle and want to go through the process of choosing each part.

Titanium is lighter weight than steel and it is more corrosion resistant than steel, including stainless steel. Any other comparisons, steel has the advantage.
Advantages in what, fatigue, creep, stiffness, impact resistance, thermal conductivity? And for which applications?

Reactions: MikeRTacOps
I'm not so sure I like the mechanical properties of Ti for this application. My limited experience with Ti parts (not related to rifles in anyway) is that threaded parts seems to easily come loose??? I'm thinking steel action screws into a Ti action.

I understand its great strength to weight ratio (which is not to say anything about its absolute strength), rigidity, and corrosion resistance.

Can you please further explain what properties of Ti make it more suitable for an action aside from weight? I'm not a materials guy and what little I do know has led me to view Ti actions with a jaundiced eye. Please show me the error of my way. haha

I was refuting some misunderstandings and outright ignorant statements about the difference in properties between steel and titanium alloys in general. Not making a suitability judgement for any particular application.

People with more firearms design and manufacturing knowledge in this thread seem to have no issues with Ti as a receiver material. I defer to them on that specific application.

As far as threaded joints not holding clamp in Ti, I have some suspicion as to why but there's nothing I can say with certainty unless I knew a lot more about the joint in your case.

All material selections in product design are a compromise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baron23
For the price vs quality vs features I've been very happy with my Bighorn Origin. I can't see myself spending any more then what they charge for an Origin. Sure an integrated pic rail and recoil lug would be nice, but not a necessity.
Another vote for Bighorn/Zermatt Origin.
True and square to 4 decimal places action face, lug seats and threads the ones we've built here. As in .0005 max runout
Also the nitride finish is superb

I have decided to jump headfirst Into the custom long range hunting rifle world. Through a good bit research I think I have narrowed it down to a bighorn action but I’m very open to others. I’m hoping to keep my rifle build to around $2k-$2500 without optics. I’m either going with a .300 or 6.5
thank in advance

Check out our KODA rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC for $2499!

Advantages in what, fatigue, creep, stiffness, impact resistance, thermal conductivity? And for which applications?
Advantages in what? Whatever you want, your choice.

Which applications? Lets go with a receiver on a bolt action rifle.