• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom build vs factory

Rick7353

Private
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2017
I'm interested in getting some feedback. I'm looking at getting a new blot rifle in .243 win. My grandkids shoot as does my daughter out of state. I currently have a REM 700 trued, pinned, m16 extractor in 6.5x47 Lapua with Bartlien m40 bbl that I love. I'M disabled so bench rifle only. Looking for production rifles like Sako S20, TikkA, MPA, OR??? IDEAS?

I'm interested in getting some feedback. I'm looking at getting a new blot rifle in .243 win. My grandkids shoot as does my daughter out of state. I currently have a REM 700 trued, pinned, m16 extractor in 6.5x47 Lapua with Bartlien m40 bbl that I love. I'M disabled so bench rifle only. Looking for production rifles like Sako S20, TikkA, MPA, OR??? IDEAS?
Considering the "out of the box" consistant precision, a Tikka is hard to beat. After market accessories are quite available as well.

If you want to spend more a full custom bench rest rifle is another option.

How much do you want to spend?
What expectations do you have?
Optics?

Considering the "out of the box" consistant precision, a Tikka is hard to beat. After market accessories are quite available as well.

If you want to spend more a full custom bench rest rifle is another option.

How much do you want to spend?
What expectations do you have?
Optics?
Cost range: When I raced the saying was " speed costs, how fast you want to go"? My last build was in the 2k range less optic.
Optic : I have a Leupold Mark 5 HE 7.5-35×56 and a Vortex Razor gen 2 4.5-27×56 on my Savage . Custom I was looking at Receivers of Bat, Defiance, Surgeon, Curtis,STOCK McMillan XIT. ,Diamond tech trigger and Kreiger or Shilen bbl.

The factory’s have had to really step up their games and have responded well. They are many that have MOA guarantee. Nothing like a spec’d custom, but the factory’s are good shooters at good price points.

Sako and Tika are great guns and your grandkids and daughter will be challenged to shoot those guns to their accuracy potential. Without spending their inheritance. Haha.

but I bet your trued 700 is a shooter also.

Custom. Tikka doesn't have the type of rifle you want in .243. As far as stocks go. Look into a chassis system, like KRG. They offer the adjustability you're going to need, if different people are going to be shooting the rifle.

Reactions: goatboy
Do you want to spend money or do you want value? If you want value and performance, get a Tikka and buy a stock that you like. The factory Tikka barrels are super accurate and triggers are fantastic and reliability is great. What more could you want...I just don't see the point in custom anymore myself, unless you want some oddball caliber. Made sense 10 years ago, but not anymore.

Reactions: krumfola
Custom. Tikka doesn't have the type of rifle you want in .243. As far as stocks go. Look into a chassis system, like KRG. They offer the adjustability you're going to need, if different people are going to be shooting the rifle.
Contradictory. Tikka T3x Varmint in a KRG or any other chassis/stock would fit the bill.
Do you want to spend money or do you want value? If you want value and performance, get a Tikka and buy a stock that you like. The factory Tikka barrels are super accurate and triggers are fantastic and reliability is great. What more could you want...I just don't see the point in custom anymore myself, unless you want some oddball caliber. Made sense 10 years ago, but not anymore.
This.

I built this winter with Impact action in a manners TCS stock and I couldn’t be happier. Proof stainless barrel. I used Altus Shooting out of Florida, had the rifle in less than a week. Shoots like a laser. It all comes down to what you want to spend. GAP pps rifle is a hell of a deal, take a look at their website.

Reactions: Zane1844
I went with a custom build (TL3) when I really wanted an AI. I convinced myself that the flexibility of the TL3 was the rational decision. I still want that AI, and I now regret not getting the AI instead. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with a custom build, but I think deep down you know what want. Do yourself a favor and just get what you want upfront. It's usually a better deal in the long run.

With a .243 from a factory maker the biggest thing will be barrel twist. Most all are too slow for the heavier long range bullets. If you wanted to shoot light bullets then not a problem. What do you plan to do with the .243?

Any reason you're wanting .243 Win. caliber? If you're looking for a long range rifle to shoot from the bench, why not a 6.5 Creedmoor? Lots of ammo choices (current shortage notwithstanding) and a plethora of factory rifles. If you really want a 6mm / .243 caliber, the 6 Creedmoor fits the bill; the cartridge case is quite similar to the .243 Winchester. But either .243 Win. or 6 CM is a relative barrel burner.

Depending on range you want to shoot, a good .223 is lots of fun, low recoil, cheaper to shoot, great barrel life, and easily gets you to 750 yards with 75-77 grain bullets - more, actually, in terms of raw ballistics and especially with heavier bullets, but a gnat fart moves the bullet around out there.

As has been written above, it's really hard to beat a Tikka for a pure factory rifle. I had two of them, a TAC A1 in 6.5CM and a Varmint in .223. Both superbly accurate. I sold them in favor of customs - not because the customs were necessarily more accurate; rather, because the rifle bug had bitten me hard and I had an opportunity to pick up a custom 6.5CM from a friend at an excellent price. Now all my rifles are Remington 700 footprint actions in MDT or MPA chassis.

Like Rob said above - a lot depends on what you want to do with the rifle. My post assumes you want a range toy your daughter and grandkids can also enjoy. And his comment about standard twist rate in factory .243 Winchester is an excellent point - it really limits the caliber.

I have a Tikka Varmint in 6.5 CM and building a custom rifle in .300 PRC at the moment. This is my first Tikka and maybe I got a good one but this has been one of the most accurate rifles I have owned and it’s completely factory at the moment, Iam extremely impressed and happy with my Tikka. Iam building a custom long range rifle just because I want a custom rifle not because I need one I bet I could build a Tikka and be just as happy with its performance. When my custom is done I will be getting a aftermarket chassis and using the Tikka for PRS because I really don’t want to spend the money to build another custom rifle. The Tikka don’t need a aftermarket trigger just a Yo-Dave $10 trigger spring, long story short if you want a custom build one but if you want a budget-ish rifle that shoots extremely well get a Tikka with a aftermarket stock or chassis and have fun.

...I will be getting a aftermarket chassis and using the Tikka for PRS...
Here's my Tikka Varmint in .223 in an MDT LSS-XL chassis / MDT skeleton buttstock / 20MOA rail with an Anarchy Outdoors bolt handle (the "large" knob was too large; wouldn't do that again), MDT ARCA rail and vertical grip, and MDT 10-round polymer magazine. It's always puzzled me why Tikka sells so many of their rifles (TAC A1 notwithstanding) in those horrid rubber stocks...

EDIT: I added the MDT upgrades piecemeal over time. While the older LSS-XL chassis is a lightweight, excellent chassis, someone who intends to use a Tikka or whatever for PRS would probably be better served to purchase an MDT chassis created for the purpose.
IMG_2559.jpeg

Here's my Tikka Varmint in .223 in an MDT LSS-XL chassis / MDT skeleton buttstock / 20MOA rail with an Anarchy Outdoors bolt handle (the "large" knob was too large; wouldn't do that again), MDT ARCA rail and vertical grip, and MDT 10-round polymer magazine. It's always puzzled me why Tikka sells so many of their rifles (TAC A1 notwithstanding) in those horrid rubber stocks...

EDIT: I added the MDT upgrades piecemeal over time. While the older LSS-XL chassis is a lightweight, excellent chassis, someone who intends to use a Tikka or whatever for PRS would probably be better served to purchase an MDT chassis created for the purpose.
View attachment 7562053

I have a MPA Matrix for my custom and might buy the same chassis for my Tikka. For a hunting stock my factory Varmint stock isn’t that bad but for serious shooting it leaves a lot to be desired for sure.

They are not selling rifles, they are selling barrelled actions... in rubber stocks.
Never thought of it, but you're pretty much right. I can't recall the last time I saw a Tikka in a factory stock. You also rarely see them without the factory barrel unless it just got shot out. They shoot so darn good. I stuck mine in a Manners and put on a Sterk bolt handle and I have zero desire to do anything else til the barrel is done in another 1500 rounds.

Reactions: CerebralDistortion
If a factory B/A has everything you want then you can drop it in a stock of your liking. A lot of fun has been had with factory rifles. We have become spoiled with all the latest and greatest for sure.

Personally, I would go budget aftermarket action that accepts pre-fit barrels (Origin, Tenacity,etc)......then go more budget friendly on a stock (KRG Bravo or whatever). Some guys are doing budget friendly pre-fit barrels with sub Tier 1 barrel blanks and they are capable of some really good accuracy.

If you already load for 6.5x47.........makes reloading easier to stick with that.

Also, if you go the Origin route......you have the option for 223 for young shooters and cheap plinking. Then swap barrel/bolthead/magazine to standard or SA magnum and cartridge choices are pretty much endless.

Ern

Last edited: