• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Custom Build with Wyatt's Box--A single shot BDL? Help

CavJock07

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Richmond, Texas
I am going to hold off on posting pictures right now because I don't necessarily want to throw anybody under the bus, particularly the builder. If I posted pictures, most of you might know even without a name who built it.

I ordered a defiance ultralight, left hand long action, cut for the Wyatt's box (MBE-2). The rifle is a 7 rem mag, throated long. I ordered a flat top EH1-A and the builder inlet everything and installed the adjustable cheek piece. At the recommendation of the builder i sourced a dakota bdl floor plate assembly. This is more of a long range hunting stick, type of build.

Long story short it doesn't work. Sure I can single feed rounds and it will put good factory ammo into a ragged hole, but I can't load more than one. At first the cartridges were nose diving into the side of the chamber and binding the action to such an extent that I had to drop the floor plate to get everything out. So I turned the mag spring around and they would at least feed. The next problem is when I have two down and an empty chamber. Running the bolt will pick up and feed the first cartridge and eject it fine, however during the ejection process the remaining cartridge in the mag goes nose up to such an extent that the bolt overrides the base of the case and won't feed without me resetting the cartridge. It's almost like the follower is binding inside of the box. This also happens when I have two down and one in the chamber--ejecting the first cartridge causes the remaining two to go nose up--and I have a single shot.

I talked to Kevin Wyatt and he suggested putting apiece of tape around the internal box because it may be too wide (it's not fused in the rear and there was a gap). If anything that made things worse.

I am a good bit dejected because I have boat load of cash in the stock, bedding, paint, etc. and I would have been better off with a good barreled action and a chassis.

My question is whether there are any tricks to getting the Wyatt's box to work, or a bdl in general to work? I am not new to the these things and suppose I took for granted that what bel rifles I had, you just loaded cartridges and went to work. Maybe there is more of a science to it than I realize.

There is a groove inside of the dakota bdl floor plate assembly that looks perfect for a standard long action mag box to sit it--problem is the Wyatt's is way longer. I could go on and on.

I would sure appreciate any thoughts. I realize this is long winded. If a PM from anybody would be more appropriate, I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks everyone

Reactions: aljones_315
I think most of us know who built it from reading your post. Have you talked to him about the issue. He probably knows as much about how to make it feed as anyone.

I have and honestly communication has been more difficult that I was hoping especially given that the rifle hasn’t worked from day one. I’m just exploring all of my options.

I have used quite a few Wyatt’s boxes and some need tweaking and some just plain worked no bending mods,nothing.
Which follower are you using in the mag box?

It’s the xl follower to go with the extended box. Visually I can’t see anything wrong with the box/follower interface