• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Custom gun cases??

NRF

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2010
CORNHUSKER
Does anyone here know of a maker of quality custom gun cases?

It seems these long rifles don't fit into any of the cheap plastic cases everyone is making now days.

I would like to get at least a two gun set up with 56 objective lens scopes on both rifles, I know Pelican can make a custom case has anyone had one made?

Or let me know of anything else out there,
Thanks

Re: Custom gun cases??

NF41780,

See you a husker, so I'm assuming you are in NE. I had the same problem on a Stiller SA, 32 inch barrel Krieger HV taper barrel, and 14.5 inch LOP. OAL of the rifle was 52 inches from butt pad to muzzle.

The only case I could find that would house it was offered at Sheels in Lincoln, south side in Village Pointe, or whatever its called, down off of 27th and Pine Lake Road. Its not on their website, but in their store. It is a diamond tread aluminum case made for two rifles. Simply because of the size of the scope (a 58mm obj) and length of the rifle, I was only able to get one in the case. It is an option, but not a very good one. Kalispel is a better alternative.

EDIT: I didn't have time to buy a Kalispel as it would have taken too long to get it and I was getting on a plane in only a couple of days. The Kalispel would be a much higher quality case. I believe the one I purchased was $229 and it faired the trip from OMA to MRY very well. That was with two layovers and a 24 pound rig inside of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR-WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I found this made to order #6013-KK1 $275.00

http://www.icc-case.com/products/item.asp?id=40 </div></div>

Never seen that one before. Do you own one? If so, how well is it constructed? I have another long tube gun that will need a case, and that looks like a viable alternative.

Pelican/Storm just didn't offer anything with enough interior length.

I edited my post. Check out the bottom one I added.

No, I dont have one yet, I have a 55" rifle on the way and will be ordering one soon. I do know a little about aluminum and these look as tough as anything I've seen on the market.

Holy crap. 30lbs. Wow! Put one 25 pound rifle in it or two 15 pounders and you are over the 50lb limit on the airlines. It costs me 100 bones to put my HG (93 lbs) on the plane with me.

I've contemplated getting an AICS 2.0 folder for the new rifle just so I could fit it in a Pelican.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy crap. 30lbs. Wow! Put one 25 pound rifle in it or two 15 pounders and you are over the 50lb limit on the airlines. It costs me 100 bones to put my HG (93 lbs) on the plane with me.

I've contemplated getting an AICS 2.0 folder for the new rifle just so I could fit it in a Pelican.
</div></div>

That just means that the baggage attendent cant throw it around, with out getting a hernia
wink.gif

Something built that well I wouldnt mind it going in the hold. The 2.0 is nice, a friend of mine has one that fits a short SKB very nicely. I was hoping I would be able to get away with the Plano Airglide being that the rifle is transported in the top up config but no such luck. Guess I'm gonna have to pony up and get one of these alum vaults with wheels

I took the foam out of an old stinger missile box and converted it to a double rifle case. It holds 2 rifles, 80mm Kowa spotting scope, stand and other stuff. If laid out differently it could hold 4 rifles vertically. The inside dimension length is 60”. The aluminum box with the original foam weights 49 pounds. With everything locked up, I’m less than 100 pounds (but never weighted it). Don't plan on flying anywhere with it. With a bungee cord to tie it down to a truck dolly, I can roll it anywhere. Without the dolly, the case can fit in the truck bed.
Finished001withoutdivider.jpg

I set up a group buy with ICC maybe 8 years ago. They made us 30 custom .50 cal cases and let everybody pick their own color and options. They had tons of cool colors. Everybody was happy with the quality. They were heavy as we went with the thicker option for the aluminum but they seem to be made to last forever. They did not have a pressure release valve and the seal on ours was more like a dust seal. I don't know if it is actually submersible-waterproof like a pelican, but it is certainly heavy rain or float down a river proof.

I would love to buy an aluminum case but can't justify the extra weight for the time being. And I'd get a pelican, but they dont seem to offer anything in the sizes that I would like.

After the group buy I found out from my ICC contact that they custom make the "bullet proof" line of cases for Cabellas. I also ordered one of those from Cabellas and they are equally nice and were less expensive than getting it directly from ICC. You may want to look at those if you have not already. They have a two gun that is 52" x 14" x 4-1/2"(21 pounds) and a safari two gun that is 52" x 10" x 10")

Brand692,

Yes I'm from Ne. I didn't know that California even knew there was a NEBRASKA? I have a buddy in orange county he made that comment LOL.

I checked out the Icc and Kalispel sites and that looked like a great possility My guns are over the which seems to be standard 55 inch range in the other cases iv'e seen.

79m1a-Texas
Where did you find that case that is bad ass too. Although it may be tougher to take on flights that is a nice setup and I would prefer a standup setup like you have but would settle for others.

Thanks for the great incite guys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 79M1a-texas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I took the foam out of an old stinger missile box and converted it to a double rifle case. It holds 2 rifles, 80mm Kowa spotting scope, stand and other stuff. If laid out differently it could hold 4 rifles vertically. The inside dimension length is 60”. The aluminum box with the original foam weights 49 pounds. With everything locked up, I’m less than 100 pounds (but never weighted it). Don't plan on flying anywhere with it. With a bungee cord to tie it down to a truck dolly, I can roll it anywhere. Without the dolly, the case can fit in the truck bed.
Finished001withoutdivider.jpg

</div></div>

I'm gonna have to put out the feelers to the Army / Navy stores local to me to see if I can score a box like that. Very well done, a little cumbersome but I like it. Its a perfect range box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF41780</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brand692,

Yes I'm from Ne. I didn't know that California even knew there was a NEBRASKA? I have a buddy in orange county he made that comment LOL.</div></div>

Trust me, I'd rather not be here. Not my choice.

I'm a transplanted country kid who doesn't get along with a damn soul here, save a hide member or two, on the central coast. But, summer leave has been submitted and approved...

I recently purchased a starlight case. I ordered custom foam for my AI AE Mark I. The foam was cut precisely and even had cut outs for a scope and bipod. In the pic below you can just make out the scope cut out above the rifle. I would give them a call and see what they can do. The cases are quality made and their customer service is great. Guaranteed for life.
Starlight Cases
4600100200_024a240708_o.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vile Mr Bubbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently purchased a starlight case. I ordered custom foam for my AI AE Mark I. The foam was cut precisely and even had cut outs for a scope and bipod. In the pic below you can just make out the scope cut out above the rifle. I would give them a call and see what they can do. The cases are quality made and their customer service is great. Guaranteed for life.
Starlight Cases
</div></div>

You are upside down. Have always been told to have your scope up to the handle.....

Other than that....looks good....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vile Mr Bubbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently purchased a starlight case. I ordered custom foam for my AI AE Mark I. The foam was cut precisely and even had cut outs for a scope and bipod. In the pic below you can just make out the scope cut out above the rifle. I would give them a call and see what they can do. The cases are quality made and their customer service is great. Guaranteed for life.
Starlight Cases
</div></div>

You are upside down. Have always been told to have your scope up to the handle.....

Other than that....looks good.... </div></div>

I understand what you mean about having scope up when you would be carrying it but since it is cut to the profile of the gun in every direction where could it go? And it looks like the wheels are on the bottom so carrying it that way would be barrel down. I think that is a nicely made case as well, you guys make decision making a bitch.

Or is there another reason that I am missing? Just curious?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF41780</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vile Mr Bubbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently purchased a starlight case. I ordered custom foam for my AI AE Mark I. The foam was cut precisely and even had cut outs for a scope and bipod. In the pic below you can just make out the scope cut out above the rifle. I would give them a call and see what they can do. The cases are quality made and their customer service is great. Guaranteed for life.
Starlight Cases
</div></div>

Other than that....looks good.... </div></div>

I understand what you mean about having scope up when you would be carrying it but since it is cut to the profile of the gun in every direction where could it go? And it looks like the wheels are on the bottom so carrying it that way would be barrel down. I think that is a nicely made case as well, you guys make decision making a bitch.

Or is there another reason that I am missing? Just curious? </div></div>

Rotate the foam 180 that way your scope is up. If you roll the case you are not dragging on crown (rifle is still encased in foam). Just what I have been told about how they are "supposed" to be built

This is the factory custom cut Pelican using high density foam that comes with the AMP DSR (also inverted from the factory)

rdevrv.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vile Mr Bubbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the gouge Chiller. I will rotate the foam. </div></div>

One of the many services I provide.....
grin.gif