• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom Hunting Build. Whose the go to guy?

WatchTimes

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2013
Metro Detroit
OK a quick background.
Im a custom gun idiot lots of 1911's
Yost Marlin levers in 44, 30/30 and 45/70
A Westley Richards 30/06 I bought from a friend and the LOP is way too long for me so it just sits in the vault.
Melvin Forbes NULAs in 22, .308, 7mm-08 and 9.3X62. Well if you have ever shot a NULA you know they are light but kick like a mule!

So I want to build my last hunting rifle.
I'm fairly open minded on caliber but was thinking of something with more performance than the .308 (but not looking for a 6.5 etc)
Im not recoil sensitive but I don't need to shoot a .416 LOL
My main hunting is deer but I plan on going for another bear hunt as well as perhaps moose or elk hunts hopefully in the future.
Im looking for that rifle that will be the go to for North America hunting when I want a more than .308. I want something on the lighter side but this isn't likely going to be a gun Id carry long distances (for that Id take a NULA)
I don't reload so Im looking for a somewhat common caliber.
I mostly hunt in Michigan (lots of woods).

But who do I go to? I have seen more than a few posts about TS Customs but who else?
Who are the top guys for hunting? If I was looking for a long distance sniper set up Id go to TacOps or GA Precision.
I don't mind waiting for the right builder as the right builders rifles tend to hold their value better than some others (at least in my experience with 1911s)

If you made it this far, thank you for reading and I appreciate anyones thoughts/opinions.

You can always build yourself as an option

For customs stuff like SAC, GA and tac ops will hold value. There’s very few customs you see where when posted in the px that will hold value. GA is one that typically does well.

Personally in todays world I’d assemble my own or go for AI or something of the sort. If I want a hunting rifle I personally just go Tikka for factory

I only mention this as you brought up holding value. If you’re not concerned about that so much there’s many options. Watch the px here as well. Can get full customs for a fraction of what someone else put into them

Reactions: NewsShooter
If I could have one do all caliber with off the shelf ammo it’d probably be 7PRC.

Most of my rifles are geared toward hunting and I’ve never considered buying a complete custom when they’re not doing anything special for the extra money. Get a carbon fiber stock of your choice, manners LRH for me inletted for whatever action you want to run that’ll take prefits, Hawkins Hunter bottom metal/magazine and a carbon fiber pre fit or have a good local smith spin one up if you’re not comfortable screwing a barrel into an action. I believe carbon six is still running 15% off their barrels right now too. Install a trigger and you’re done.

Reactions: YotaEer and Ronws
Building on myself isn't something I have the free time to do unfortunately at this point in life, maybe in 10 years.
Oh I know there is AI, GA TacOps but they aren't really hunting rifles. Sure any rifle can hunt but they are more set up and meant for a sniper etc so tend to be a little heavier than I am ideally after.
I had a Blaser R8 but as I have a shorter LOP it just didn't work out for me, when I simulated where my face would sit with a shorter LOP I was almost hitting myself in the face cycling the bolt

1) Go Spartans! (Ive spent a lot of time between lansing and Houghton mi.

2) It depends on you bro! For a custom rig. LRI, Tacops, GAP, TBA. List goes on. Afore mentioned are more for Sniper clone builds and PRS.

3) you could go for a foundation stock or mcmillan. A Terminus Zeus action. Quick change. Bughole’s barrel for Terminus zeus and put it together at home.

4) go buy a standard Remmy 700. Or Tikka

Reactions: WatchTimes
Building on myself isn't something I have the free time to do unfortunately at this point in life, maybe in 10 years.
Oh I know there is AI, GA TacOps but they aren't really hunting rifles. Sure any rifle can hunt but they are more set up and meant for a sniper etc so tend to be a little heavier than I am ideally after.
I had a Blaser R8 but as I have a shorter LOP it just didn't work out for me, when I simulated where my face would sit with a shorter LOP I was almost hitting myself in the face cycling the bolt
When I say build your own I’m referring to like what is mentioned in above comment. If you get a terminus Zeus QD you can still have the barrels spun up in whatever caliber you wish. Then change with minimal tools and effort

The “building” portion would literally be screwing on a barrel/torque it. The just torque your chosen stock/chassis. Modern chassis don’t necessarily need to be bedded

What part of Michigan do you live?

OK a quick background.
A Westley Richards 30/06 I bought from a friend and the LOP is way too long for me so it just sits in the vault.
Melvin Forbes NULAs in 22, .308, 7mm-08 and 9.3X62. Well if you have ever shot a NULA you know they are light but kick like a mule!

I'm fairly open minded on caliber but was thinking of something with more performance than the .308 (but not looking for a 6.5 etc)
My main hunting is deer but I plan on going for another bear hunt as well as perhaps moose or elk hunts hopefully in the future.
Im looking for that rifle that will be the go to for North America hunting when I want a more than .308. I want something on the lighter side but this isn't likely going to be a gun Id carry long distances (for that Id take a NULA)

But who do I go to? I have seen more than a few posts about TS Customs but who else?
Who are the top guys for hunting? If I was looking for a long distance sniper set up Id go to TacOps or GA Precision.
I don't mind waiting for the right builder as the right builders rifles tend to hold their value better than some others (at least in my experience with 1911s)

If you made it this far, thank you for reading and I appreciate anyones thoughts/opinions.
Bugholes
Altus Shooting Solutions
GA Precision
Gunwerks
R Bros
Long Rifles Inc
and about a 1000 others

It takes no time at all, you’re not building anything just assembling it.

I’m a fan of Alamo precision rifles. They have some models on their website to choose from and usually 20-30 ready to ship rifles.

Reactions: R_A_W
OK a quick background.

Joe Walls in Jacksonville, FL
Walls Rifles LLC
[email protected]

Joe is one of the top PRS and LR shooters in the country, he is a hard core hunter and his favored building niche is high end hunting rifles.
He has been custom building for several years as Exodus Rifles and just rebranded to narrow his lane.

I saw several of his rifles drop big ass bulls just outside Yellowstone last September with one bedded down at about 760yds.
They are pretty and they perform.

Highly recommend.

./

Dozens upon dozens of fantastic machinists out there that can build anything your heart desires.

Biggest thing you'd want to do is decide what you want out of the build (parts). Get the parts you want and have it put together by a competent 'smith.

Or...for the guys out there with a lot of money and don't mind paying someone (a hell of a lot IMO) to do everything for you, to include load development and sight in etc... Gunwerks, and I think McWhorter still offers a lot of packages.

I will throw my opinion out as a side note.

If you want to improve your chances of having a top performing rifle, simply explain what you are looking for to a builder that works heavily in the hunting lane and then let them recommend components to get a finished rifle like you want.

You may save a few $ by collecting all of your parts yourself and sending the box of parts to someone to assemble but you are totally taking away any of their own input.

Ditto when a customer starts dictating exact chamber, lead length and throat angle. It is my opinion that if you insist on doing all of that, the only thing your builder should guarantee is cutting and assembling everything correctly.
If it shoots accurately, great.
If it doesn't shoot accurately, you should absolutely NOT try to hold the builder responsible.

Letting a builder stay in their known comfort zone based on hard won and expensive experience is valuable.
If they are in control of specs and build components, then you can and should be able to hold them responsible for the rifle's performance (given proper ammo/optics and shooting).

If they are allowed to do this while still delivering the weight and cosmetics that you have in mind, it should be a total win.

I personally refuse to guarantee anything except concentric cuts, good surface finish and correct fitting if anyone forces me out of important decisions. In fact, I simply do not accept those type of jobs. Tons of other shops out there that would be happy to accept that work and roll the dice.

The vast majority of people will be very happy getting parts and doing it themselves or having someone simply assemble their part to their specs, however the ones that aren't happy can only blame the guy in the mirror.

./

You can assembly a bolt gun from parts with a few basic tools in about 10 minutes, 30 minutes taking your sweet ass time. There's nothing to it. Bolt togethers hold their value far better than a custom and are easy to part out. Custom bolt guns aren't good resellers unless it's just a "custom" grade model from a shop that's high demand.

If you want a work of art call Jered Joplin at APA. There is no greater attention to detail than what that man does. Look at his IG account at some of the customs mannlichers and wood stock stuff he's done.

Reactions: R_A_W
Dozens upon dozens of fantastic machinists out there that can build anything your heart desires.

Biggest thing you'd want to do is decide what you want out of the build (parts). Get the parts you want and have it put together by a competent 'smith.

Or...for the guys out there with a lot of money and don't mind paying someone (a hell of a lot IMO) to do everything for you, to include load development and sight in etc... Gunwerks, and I think McWhorter still offers a lot of packages.

I was looking at GunWerks a while ago and it's their way or the highway.
I wanted a .308 and well they don't build a .308. It's either their way or the highway and I just don't like that attitude.
They don't build .308??? LOL why would someone not build one of the most popular calibers in the world.
Ive dealt with Yost, Harrison, Gemini Customs etc etc and never once did I feel like my opinion did not matter.

I was looking at GunWerks a while ago and it's their way or the highway.
I wanted a .308 and well they don't build a .308. It's either their way or the highway and I just don't like that attitude.
They don't build .308??? LOL why would someone not build one of the most popular calibers in the world.
Ive dealt with Yost, Harrison, Gemini Customs etc etc and never once did I feel like my opinion did not matter.

That was kind of my point. If I articulated it poorly, my apologies.

There are so many top gunsmiths who will put together whatever you wish with the parts that you source, that your biggest hurdle should be picking the parts that you feel will suit you best.

I'm 4 barreled actions complete with Matt Stewart of Stewart Rifles here in SE Oklahoma. He does great work on everything. If you want to talk about whatever build you're interested in with a guy who will spend an hour with you on the phone, I'll send you his Number.

Dallas Lane (Lane Precision Rifles) builds more custom magnum hunting rifles than most. He's a good dude, always take the time to answer my calls or get back to me quickly, even if it's just a simple call of what's happening and how's life. He builds some great rifles. Alex Wheeler is another, although his wait times are long and costly, his work is perfection.

I'm 4 barreled actions complete with Matt Stewart of Stewart Rifles here in SE Oklahoma. He does great work on everything. If you want to talk about whatever build you're interested in with a guy who will spend an hour with you on the phone, I'll send you his Number.
Matt is the schnitz.
He is one of only a handful that I feel very secure referring people to. Great person and great work.

Matt is the schnitz.
He is one of only a handful that I feel very secure referring people to. Great person and great work.

He's had a lot of good things to say about you and your teaching Sir. I'm glad that he's only an hour drive away...unfortunately that means I'm always finding a new project for him to help me with.

For a hunting rifle, I would also look at D’Arcy Echols and Mark Penrod. It just really depends on the intersection of performance and style you are after. There are a handful that do both really well.

Reactions: WatchTimes
How has Unknown Munitions not come up in this thread yet.. biased being in the NW but Jake/Blaine at UM, along with Stratton in MT are some of the best hunting focused builds.

Can’t go wrong with Travis/TS Customs either - use him for all my prefits. Robert at Alamo for anything ELR competition.

Lane Precision or TS Customs. I'll go with one of them for my next build. Dallas Lane built my 6.5 Sherman and it's a laser.

Reactions: toader
Dallas Lane 100%, all he does is custom hunting rifles. He's a serious hunter himself, don't get your panties in a wad when he doesn't answer the phone randomly in the fall, he's out hunting. I've had several rifles from him and he's building me another as we speak. I've been in his shop and it's cleaner than some dentist offices, that tells me alot about his attitude and attention to detail.

Reactions: toader
I was always mr 308 guy. But I echo @Jnull . Get 7 PRC. It will take deer up to moose and black bear. Not quite the kick of a .300 WM. In fact, depending on the stock and a brake or suppressor, you can get it tamed to that of a .308. Yes there is more recoil but the felt part of it can be managable.

Last edited:
I am in Metro Detroit, spent lots of time in East Lansing back in the day partying LOL
Houghton Lake is beautiful!
Some great info and names thrown out here. D'Arcy Echols and Mark Penrod are names I know have been around forever and used to hear quite a bit about them.
Over the weekend I will be reviewing all of this and post back here with some more thoughts/ideas!
Calibers Im still not sure, I am not what I consider recoil sensitive I regularly shoot a shortened 45/70
Im not that worried about barrel life, being I will be using this for hunting only pretty much I doubt Id ever approach 500 rounds
Thank you to everyone!

Reactions: Stankydogfarts
I built a few due to shooting lefthanded and wanting things not offered in lefty. In the OP shoes I'd simply buy a Seekins Pro Havak in 6.5 creedmoor or 6.5 PRC. Add a NXS 2.5-10 or an Atacr 4-16 and start shooting. Or any of the previously mentioned off the shelf rifles.

Reactions: XTREM HTR16
D'Arcy Echols would be the guy I would call if I was to do it all over again. Buy once cry once.

But I've got two Custom M70's from LRI and I'm 100% happy with them. Hunting and tactical rifles can overlap, but they don't necessarily need too.

Also add (found elsewhere but seems ok):
Holland and Holland (not the caliber, the rifle maker).
Krieghoff
Heym
Purdey
Rigby
Westley Richards

I'd give Jay Jarrett a call down in Jackson, SC.

They build their own barrels, actions, and stocks in house; and guarantee accuracy based on test fired groups. Prices are high relative to some of the names listed above, but price/value is for the OP to decide. There are also a number of pet hunting calibers, that while they'll all burn up a barrel in 1,000rnds, still deserve consideration.

They'll also buy it back from you at full price if you choose to return it within 30 days.

I own one, and have visited their shop on multiple occasions. Solid, humble, family owned business in my opinion.

Kirby Allen/Allen Precision, in Montana

6.5 PRC or 300 WSM. As for a smith that makes excellent rifles, I hear Aaron Roberts of Robert's Precision more often then others when it comes to high-dollar hunting rifles. I understand he's super OCD and builds for some of the best competitive shooters, which is exactly what I look for, but I have not shot one of his rigs yet. He has one of mine right now and I will report back if you are interested.

Think again on GAP. They can build a lightweight hunting rifle accurate as yo can shoot…

IMG_4168.jpeg
IMG_4147.jpeg

Reactions: 2c1fr
I have several rifles from Charlie Robertson, ScoreHi, Albuquerque, NM. Each is superb. 2 are 300WINMAGS cut with the same reamer and, as was hoped, I am able to shoot same ammo in both. In fact, my brother put a hole in a target for me at 100 yards and I was able to only slightly enlarge that hole with the other. The 280 Ackley he built for me is so sweet. Low recoil, and super accurate. Shooting 140 Bergers at 3250 fps that leave a gruesome exit wound if it doesn't hit a rib bone on entrance side. Coyote hides are not sellable.
I also have some from another builder based in Lewiston, ID. Although all but one are superbly accurate, the interaction with the last one left a real bad feeling and I will not recommend him.
I have used LRI for some work and that's who I will use from now on for as long as Chad Dixon is there.

Sounds like youre ont he right path. A 30cal magnum seems to be the sweet spot for those critters. Maybe a 300wsm with 215 bergers?

all mentioned have excellent reputations.hill country rifles is a no no for me.i believe they are semi custom.some are just pricier than others with same components or close to without loss of any quality.would never buy a mcwhorter custom rifle.insane pricing.fortunately i bought 2 from jim borden many years ago,when he i believe owned his own stock company.i believe pacific research was the name at the time.i still use mr bordens actions as i believe he makes the finest of the remington clones.believe alex wheeler said that at one time.but borden rifles today are also overpriced to me.now when it comes to winchester mod 70 controlled feed mark penrod is who i used and i believe in many respects when he works his magic as reliable as mr echols and i believe when i built my 2 a step up from mr echols and mr simillion.please i would love to own either of there beautiful works or art.but mark was less than gene and way less than mr echols.both sit in echols stocks and his machining skills and chambering are 2nd to none.reread thankfully before posting.when i said a step up was only referring to his chambering skills.good hunting to all.

I'll second what some others have said above and recommend SAC. They can build anything from mild to wild and consistently produce hammers.

384996942_10231919602231903_7183320535625389504_n.jpg

TVP LONG RANGE HUNTER Carbon Fiber in 6.5 Creedmoor (Thunder Valley Precision - Tom Sarver)
Terminus Actions Apollo Lite
TVP prototype carbon fiber barrel
Manners LRH in High Plains camo
Hawkins Precision M5 BM
Huber Concept Trigger set at 1.045 lbs
Piercision Self Time Five Port Brake in 6.5
Night Force NX8 4-32 MOA F2
Night Force Six Screw 30 mm 1.000" Titan rings

This build is a prototype for a NDA company for the sole purpose of engineering the best possible Carbon fiber barrel technology.

The optimum accuracy, stiffness and cooling capabilities are our ultimate goal.

This is the third rifle built for testing, and a writer from Guns and AMMO will be picking it up today to take on an Antelope hunt.

I'm sure other calibers are available.