• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom hunting rifle advice/builder

Blackjack1987

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2020
Hattiesburg
I’ve got a mid ‘90’s Synthetic/stainless 700 bdl in 30 06 I’d really like to upgrade the stock and re-barrel. I’d like to keep the rifle looking as similar to the original as possible. I’ve got my heart set on the McMillan Remington classic stock, but don’t know enough to decide on the barrel. I’d like to keep the same barrel contour as what’s on it.

Can someone recommend a match barrel maker for this project? Bartlein?
Do I need to get the barrel first, then order the stock or the opposite?

Anyone know of a gunsmith for this project in LA, MS, or Alabama?

K, what are you wanting to upgrade to ultimately? Hunting, long range, prs?

You might wanna consider remage barrel for it. If that doesn’t appeal to you and you want a shouldered barrel then I would buy any of the popular barrels in the Remington Varmint or Sendero contour. Krieger or Bartlein are good but you want the one that’s in stock. Send it and your barreled action to LRi for rebarreling. You might wanna get the action blueprinted while it’s there. Since you have an attachment to the rifle I would leave that old Remington Sendero like it is and keep it unmolested. They don’t make them like that anymore. Buy a new blueprinted Remington action from northland shooters supply and get your barrel put on that and add a good trigger and drop it in the McMillan stock. It’ll be less money than ruining your nice old Remington Sendero. Just my humble opinion

It doesn’t have the Sendero. It’s got the heavy sporter.
However I really appreciate the LRI recommendation. I researched them recently.

I would choose your rifle builder first. Speak to them and see what they recommend. Then go from their.

If your dead set on the same barrel contour and have chosen your stock. Just order it. Just don't change your mind on barrel contour as then you might have a rifle with either a large gap between barrel and stock or needing to have stock opened up which cost more money. When I spoke to LRI years back they didn't want inleted stocks. Just wanted me to order it and leave the inletting to them. Not sure if thats changed.

I'd have the action trued, trigger tuned if it's an old style remington, have it bedded in your new stock and use the old bottom metal if you don't want to spend more money. Then enjoy using it to hunt for years to come.

Let's know how it turns out.

If you will measure your barrel diameter 1/2 inch in front of the receiver, 5 inches in front of the receiver, and at the muzzle, I can provide some useful information.

Most custom rifle builders Iv talked to want you the send in a Remington action to fit it. Patriot valley does great work Iv got a trued Remington action they re barreled and it shoots lights out

I’d be looking for a #1 or #2 barrel with about 1 1/4” of shank, or just go with a factory contour dupe. If you’re going to order new stuff, it won’t matter, but you’re gonna be waiting. If you’re gonna source used stuff, you’ll want to stay as close as possible to factory.

Are you wanting to change cartridges?How does the rifle shoot now? Have you done load development for the rifle? Sounds like a used McMillan and a bedding job might suffice. You’re not going to get 1/4 MOA accuracy out of this build. If the current barrel will hold 3/4 MOA I’d probably drive on.

If I’m spending 2k plus on a rifle, I’m getting a cut-rifled barrel, a professional bedding job, and a 1 1/2# trigger[Full Stop]

Reactions: HousePlant
LRI does awesome work, have 2 rifles from them. PVA makes an incredibly accurate rifle too, but they have a hard time delivering on time, at least that was my experience. Are you looking to stay with the ‘06 or move to something else?

Not sure if this will help your decision making or not but here’s been my rifle building evolution (sickness). First build on Rem 700, had to have bartlein m40/24. Second build, rem 700, couldn’t find a bartlein at the time, settled for a Krieger, same profile. Both shoot pretty much identical (lights out), both built by LRI. Third build I sent to PVA, told Josh I wanted a tier 1 level barrel in med palma, didn’t care manufacturer. Shoots amazing, still don’t know who’s barrel it is. Latest build, proof barrels, but only because I got them for a song.

My point is; unless you want something specific in profile, barrel material, contour, etc that only brand X will give you, top level barrel companies are pretty similar in end product. You’re in good hands with LRI, anything you decide (or let Chad decide for you) will drive tacks and put animals down.

Good luck and welcome to the hide!

If you want to keep the same contour barrel, a #19 bartlein would fit the bill. I’d have it trued, throw a triggertech and a McMillan Rem hunter on there and call it a day. Lots of great smiths out there, I’d highly recommend APR or Shaen Rifles. Shaen has a much shorter lead time than most. APR did my 280AI with a proof and Shaen will be doing a 22 creed with a Rock Creek shortly.

Call Jon Beanland or LRI. They will build you a tack driver.

@BJames, PVA uses a lot of Rock Creek tubes IIRC.

I recent got a chance to shoot a PVA barreled 700 in 6CM, stacks tiny little holes on top of each other.

There a lot of great riflesmiths out there BUT there some that are less than desireable.

My money now goes to Travis @ RBros.

Not sure if this will help your decision making or not but here’s been my rifle building evolution (sickness). First build on Rem 700, had to have bartlein m40/24. Second build, rem 700, couldn’t find a bartlein at the time, settled for a Krieger, same profile. Both shoot pretty much identical (lights out), both built by LRI. Third build I sent to PVA, told Josh I wanted a tier 1 level barrel in med palma, didn’t care manufacturer. Shoots amazing, still don’t know who’s barrel it is. Latest build, proof barrels, but only because I got them for a song.

My point is; unless you want something specific in profile, barrel material, contour, etc that only brand X will give you, top level barrel companies are pretty similar in end product. You’re in good hands with LRI, anything you decide (or let Chad decide for you) will drive tacks and put animals down.

Good luck and welcome to the hide!

You won’t regret your decision to go with LRI they do great work and fast compared to most companies. Full disclosure: not sure what their turn around times are currently.
The 300wm they build me was an absolute hammer!