• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 455 Ultimate Tacticool 17 HMR Range Test! Pics!

djdilliodon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2013
West Babylon, NY
Got a chance to take the 455 Ultimate Tacticool out for a spin today. It was far from an ideal day to shoot but I went anyway as the suspense was eating me alive lol. Temps where in the upper 40's to low 50's with very light rain and winds SSW @ 19 mph. Targets are facing north so wind was definitely a problem today :(. I did the best I could to take my time and wait for the wind to stop to try and shoot it to its max potential. For the most part I did a fine job IMO and this rifle proved to be one wicked 455!

I started at 50 yards and used 40 rounds for break in starting with 1 shot and clean for the first 5 rounds. I then shot 5 rounds in a row then cleaned followed by 10 shots at a time and clean. After the break in I shot 5 rounds to foul the barrel. Shot my first 5 shot group at 50 yards and the first 4 shots went into the same hole with a group size of .123" CTC! The 5th shot was my fault and opened the group to .307" CTC. Shot a couple more groups at 50 yards and all measured in the .2's for 5 shots which made me feel like a kid in a candy store as I didn't expect to shoot this good in these conditions! Here is a pic of the heart breaker target.

I ran over to the 100 yard side and cleaned the barrel quick and fired 5 shots to foul the barrel again. I only shot one group and boy was I impressed! 5 shots at 100 yards measuring .402" CTC!

Once it gets nicer out I will go back and test again to get a better idea. I only shot hornady 17gr vmax and I will try the 20gr next as I'm very interested in seeing how it does with those. Here is what has been done to this 455:

Boyds tacticool stock pillar bedded and glass bedded including first 3" of barrel channel and free floating after the bedding.

Custom extra power striker spring with polished striker and custom mixed moly lubricated.

Custom tactical bolt handle.

Custom trigger spring with polish work and custom mixed moly lubricated (trigger is a dream!)

Lilja straight .900" match barrel chambered in 17 HMR.

Custom 12.9 grade action screws

Single shot adapter

Soon to be custom M5 style CNC machined trigger guard.

Here are some pics of the rifle.

With its cousin in 22 LR

Now that's a crown :).

Last edited:
The 17 gr v-max works well at 50, the 20 gr fmj do better at 100.
The 20 gr fmj make great small game rounds, no meat damage.
The Lilja 17 hmr barrel is worth the added cost, just so you don't
have to shoot a brick on barrel break in to achieve best results.

Got a chance to take the 455 Ultimate Tacticool out for a spin today. It was far from an ideal day to shoot but I went anyway as the suspense was eating me alive lol. Temps where in the upper 40's to low 50's with very light rain and winds SSW @ 19 mph. Targets are facing north so wind was definitely a problem today :(. I did the best I could to take my time and wait for the wind to stop to try and shoot it to its max potential. For the most part I did a fine job IMO and this rifle proved to be one wicked 455!

I started at 50 yards and used 40 rounds for break in starting with 1 shot and clean for the first 5 rounds. I then shot 5 rounds in a row then cleaned followed by 10 shots at a time and clean. After the break in I shot 5 rounds to foul the barrel. Shot my first 5 shot group at 50 yards and the first 4 shots went into the same hole with a group size of .123" CTC! The 5th shot was my fault and opened the group to .307" CTC. Shot a couple more groups at 50 yards and all measured in the .2's for 5 shots which made me feel like a kid in a candy store as I didn't expect to shoot this good in these conditions! Here is a pic of the heart breaker target.

I ran over to the 100 yard side and cleaned the barrel quick and fired 5 shots to foul the barrel again. I only shot one group and boy was I impressed! 5 shots at 100 yards measuring .402" CTC!

Once it gets nicer out I will go back and test again to get a better idea. I only shot hornady 17gr vmax and I will try the 20gr next as I'm very interested in seeing how it does with those. Here is what has been done to this 455:

Boyds tacticool stock pillar bedded and glass bedded including first 3" of barrel channel and free floating after the bedding.

Custom extra power striker spring with polished striker and custom mixed moly lubricated.

Custom tactical bolt handle.

Custom trigger spring with polish work and custom mixed moly lubricated (trigger is a dream!)

Lilja straight .900" match barrel chambered in 17 HMR.

Custom 12.9 grade action screws

Single shot adapter

Soon to be custom M5 style CNC machined trigger guard.

Here are some pics of the rifle.

With its cousin in 22 LR

Now that's a crown :).

DJ;
"Learn me".....In all my years I have never seen splice cuts in a crown. Why? Even gas dispersion?

DJ;
"Learn me".....In all my years I have never seen splice cuts in a crown. Why? Even gas dispersion?

Those long star lines only appear mostly when firing jacketed bullets and are in line with the groves of the bore. In 22 LR the pattern will still show just the lines won't be as long. Those lines are the exact same length and the exact same color which means the crown is perfectly cut. You may have never noticed this due to maybe your barrels are blued. The 11 degree crown like on the Lilja's show the best fouling stars.

The 17 gr v-max works well at 50, the 20 gr fmj do better at 100.
The 20 gr fmj make great small game rounds, no meat damage.
The Lilja 17 hmr barrel is worth the added cost, just so you don't
have to shoot a brick on barrel break in to achieve best results.

Justin have you tried the xtp or game point 20gr in yours yet? If so how did they do?

The XTP's in 17 gr and 20 gr are good for varmint control.
Not for putting dinner on the table, too much meat damage.
Accuracy wasn't quite as good as the 20 gr fmj/fsp.
The ballistic tips produced best accuracy under 75 yards
but turns critters into meat spray. Good for rodent control
but not something you want to use for squirrelling or rabbits.

At the range my best results come from Hornady 17 gr V-Max
as long as the winds are calm. The 20 gr fmj/jsp does better
out past 75 yards when the breeze begins to pick up. At 200 yards
results are inconclusive, but that's probably due to my skill level.

Tried the Winchester 17 hmrs. Split necks, extraction issues
misfires, I won't purchase them any more.

For a cheap giggle, grab a flat of discount canned sodas
and take 'em out to the range. Try the ballistic tips, xtp
and jacketed 17 hmr at different distances and see for
yourself what the different flavors of 17 hmr will do.

Last edited:
The XTP's in 17 gr and 20 gr are good for varmint control.
Not for putting dinner on the table, too much meat damage.
Accuracy wasn't quite as good as the 20 gr fmj/fsp.
The ballistic tips produced best accuracy under 75 yards
but turns critters into meat spray. Good for rodent control
but not something you want to use for squirrelling or rabbits.

At the range my best results come from Hornady 17 gr V-Max
as long as the winds are calm. The 20 gr fmj/jsp does better
out past 75 yards when the breeze begins to pick up. At 200 yards
results are inconclusive, but that's probably due to my skill level.

Tried the Winchester 17 hmrs. Split necks, extraction issues
misfires, I won't purchase them any more.

For a cheap giggle, grab a flat of discount canned sodas
and take 'em out to the range. Try the ballistic tips, xtp
and jacketed 17 hmr at different distances and see for
yourself what the different flavors of 17 hmr will do.

I'll be mostly target shooting at 50-100 yards but wanna find a good choice for yotes which I would imagine would be the xtp 20gr. I had 3 savage 93 17 hmr's in the past and all but 1 preferred the hornady vmax in 17gr offerings. All 3 though shot the 20gr the best. I'll have to grab some of the xtp to try them out. When I take this thing out for yotes I'll be attaching a bipod on the front stud. In the tacticool stock the barrel channel is inletted down to the swivel studs. I've come up with something that will totally eliminate any stock flex. I'll post a thread on it once I finish.