• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457 Boyd’s VS Manners

C_ORR

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2019
Illinois
Looking at purchasing a new CZ 457. Looking at the AT-One mounted in the Boyd’s And the VPT MTR mounted in the Manners stock with the adjustable cheek weld. Obviously there is a price difference… but does anyone have experience with either of these or both? Pros and cons? Major and minor differences (other than one is laminated and the other is composite)? Are both easy barrel swaps? Any info would be great!

When the question is Boyd's or Manners the answer is always Manners. A much better stock. Barrel length will be different to with the At One at 16.5 or 24" and the MTR at 16.5". Figure what you want.

Reactions: nakoa01
The Manners is going to be the higher quality stock even with it's (complete) lack of adjustments. That said, for the $500-$600 difference, you could get the At-One and see how you like it. ( I like AT-One just fine and you can upgrade it with pillars/bedding for short $) Then if you decide you want to upgrade you could sell the At-One stock and invest all that savings into something more to your liking.

The Manners he is looking at has an adjustable comb.

Reactions: WeeHooker
The stock CZ in the At-One is a heavy SOB. That's both good and bad.

Having said that, there's a reason all the pros shoot Manners, etc stocks or chassis systems

The good news is you're not stuck either way and can change later

M

The Manners is going to be the higher quality stock even with it's (complete) lack of adjustments. That said, for the $500-$600 difference, you could get the At-One and see how you like it. ( I like AT-One just fine and you can upgrade it with pillars/bedding for short $) Then if you decide you want to upgrade you could sell the At-One stock and invest all that savings into something more to your liking.
This is what I did. Shot the At-One and then upgraded to an XRS. Then sold the At-One.
I’ll say the the Manners is a better stock, but I don’t believe it to be $500 better in this specific application. Having shot both and handled both quite a bit. IMO.

Looking at purchasing a new CZ 457. Looking at the AT-One mounted in the Boyd’s And the VPT MTR mounted in the Manners stock with the adjustable cheek weld. Obviously there is a price difference… but does anyone have experience with either of these or both? Pros and cons? Major and minor differences (other than one is laminated and the other is composite)? Are both easy barrel swaps? Any info would be great!

The new Manners with the adjustable cheek also gets 16.2” heavy barrel with the match chamber.
I was just checking out last years with the non adjustable cheek and it just felt great.

Reactions: WeeHooker
My 457's like their McRee G10 folder. Adjustable comb, LOP, etc.

Attachments

• 20220311_175021.jpg
    20220311_175021.jpg
    417 KB · Views: 107
  • 20220126_180640.jpg
    20220126_180640.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 80
I have the VPT with non cheek adjustable Manners stock, and just ordered the green version with the adjustable cheek riser.

If you can find one…….don’t look back. I put in a full length weighted 419 Arca rail and fixed barricade stop.

I may sell the MTR in the KRG Bravo……

Attachments

• 0F9C558F-E3BF-4444-9A9D-FF7E663B4A53.jpeg
    0F9C558F-E3BF-4444-9A9D-FF7E663B4A53.jpeg
    904.2 KB · Views: 239
I have the VPT with non cheek adjustable Manners stock, and just ordered the green version with the adjustable cheek riser.

If you can find one…….don’t look back. I put in a full length weighted 419 Arca rail and fixed barricade stop.

I may sell the MTR in the KRG Bravo
Pm me about the one MTR in the KRG stock.

I just ordered the Varmint Precision Chassis. Should have it in hand tomorrow. Might want to take a look at it over the Pro Varmint.
Congrats, I'll bet you love it. I have 5 , 457's and the VPC has become my favorite. IMHO, it's easily the most overlooked and underrated model of the entire CZ 457 line . This chassis system is rock solid in every way. The adjustability and adaptability of this model right out of the box is amazing. My VPC with just a few tweaks adjusts LOP from 11.2 to 15.2" in 1/8" increments. The cheek riser has a inch + of adjustment in the same 1/8" increments. Either of these adjustments can be made on the fly in seconds. Grip angle and texture can be changed with a simple swap of any AR grip. The M-Loc slots on the front end make adding ARCA /Picatinny rails, Barricade stops, sling mounts, etc ( or both) a simple screw turn away.

FWIW, I looked at the VPT in the Manners before purchasing the VPC. ( I already have a At-One BTW) The Manners is a quality ( and good looking) stock but the fact that it lacked ANY adjustment was a deal breaker on a rifle that costs north of $1K. ( So was the thought of drilling holes /gluing to mount "adjustments" to it to get it to fit. In the end, I saved $150 by going with the full chassis VPC. No regrets.

Attachments

• VPC L side Full.jpg
    VPC L side Full.jpg
    813.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Reactions: Alabusa
I cannot speak for the Manners stocks but have put the Boyd's on other rifles and improved their accuracy.

IMG_2579.jpg
IMG_3530.jpg
IMG_3528.jpg

Sorry if I offend anyone but.....

Boyds vs Manners...not even a comparison by a long shot...

Manners ftw

Reactions: juan916
I have a boyds, manners, the CZ chassis, grey birch chassis and a KRG bravo.

The manners is the best for competition but needed a L3I steel ARCA rail to balance it out, it's ass heavy.

The the KRG with an aluminum forend is perfect for PRS and has the weight it needs.

The grey birch is too thin for competition but makes the best backpack rifle by far. Especially with a carbon barrel.

The CZ chassis is lackluster in many ways. It's solid but no ARCA rail and that crappy stock mean its going up for sale.

The boyds is the wildcard. If you install pillars, skim bed, in stall riser and put an ARCA on it then it's perfectly acceptable and a good value.......but it'll never be the BEST at anything.

How do you find the pro varmint?
I'm looking to restock by 452 and Boyd's is pretty much my only option.

It looks as though the contour will be pretty similar to the KRG Bravo, which would be a good thing.

I really like it. It's heavy compared to the OEM plastic stock that came on the B22. It's rigid and very stable. I'm shooting CCI Suppressor 45 grain ammo.

It's not like a more expensive match round but on my worst days I get about a 3/4" shot group at 50 yards.

When the temperature drops close to freezing the groups open up.

I really like it. It's heavy compared to the OEM plastic stock that came on the B22. It's rigid and very stable. I'm shooting CCI Suppressor 45 grain ammo.

It's not like a more expensive match round but on my worst days I get about a 3/4" shot group at 50 yards.

When the temperature drops close to freezing the groups open up.
How necessary do you think is the adjustable cheek riser? Looks like your scope is mounted fairly low but still needs a reasonable height in the riser.

How necessary do you think is the adjustable cheek riser? Looks like your scope is mounted fairly low but still needs a reasonable height in the riser.

The way my face is built, I usually have to raise the cheek piece. Almost all of my rifles are like that. Other folks may not have any problems.

If you look at the Ruger American Rimfire rifle, I didn't need an adjustable cheek riser for that stock. My eye lines up with the scope without any problem. On the other hand, I don't do a lot of prone or bench shooting with that rifle compared to the Savage B22.

The stock for the Ruger is the Rimfire Hunter. The stock for the Savage B22 is the Pro-Varmint.

When I got those stocks, the Boyd's Agility stock had not been introduced. It's got my attention but I don't have any rifles to put it on.

The Agility as far as I can tell does not offer any pillar bedding. I'm a firm believer in pillar bedding however, none of the stocks for my rimfires were offered with pillar bedding. Even without the pillars in my rimfire stocks they all seem very stable.