• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

I bought my 22LR 457 American late January, and had no really decent weather to shoot until mid-March. Naturally, I tried doing some shooting in really cold weather, and blamed the poor accuracy mostly on cold & wind. However, accuracy didn't improve much when we had much more moderate temps in April. We're talking 2+ MOA, with any of the proven good lots of SK & Lapua ammo that I'd been shooting in converted 40X repeaters & V-22s. I pulled the OEM bbl and re-cut a precise 11* crown, which did help a bit, but after experiencing the accuracy of my custom-bbl'd 40Xs & V-22, I just couldn't put up with the American's factory bbl., so replaced it with a Shilen ratchet rifled select match that I'd chambered with a PTG EPS reamer. There was a large improvement in accuracy, as you'd expect from a quality custom bbl with match chamber. I'm going to drill out the plastic pillars and replace them with aluminum ones, then bed the action, in an attempt to further improve accuracy. Also intend to order Yo Dave trigger spring to see if I can get the trigger break down around 8oz. I put a BScar 25 MOA rail on it, then mounted an Athlon Midas TAC 6-24x50 mil scope in TPS TSR rings, and have been very pleased with that combination, as it's low enough so I get a good cheek weld w/o stock pack or other raised cheek piece.

The last time I shot this rifle along side a V-22 sporter, the effort required to open the bolt was obviously higher than that of the V-22. So yesterday, I chucked-up a piece of 3/4" 6061 rod & turned an extended bolt knob. I'll wait until I've got another job requiring graphite black CeraKote to paint the new knob & then use either loc tite or J-B Weld on the threads, but for now, it's a big improvement in easing the cycling of the bolt, yet isn't so large as to completely ruin the appearance of this nice sporter.

Attachments

• DSC_1228.JPG
    DSC_1228.JPG
    410.1 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: Tiger_Shilone
I bought my 22LR 457 American late January, and had no really decent weather to shoot until mid-March. Naturally, I tried doing some shooting in really cold weather, and blamed the poor accuracy mostly on cold & wind. However, accuracy didn't improve much when we had much more moderate temps in April. We're talking 2+ MOA, with any of the proven good lots of SK & Lapua ammo that I'd been shooting in converted 40X repeaters & V-22s. I pulled the OEM bbl and re-cut a precise 11* crown, which did help a bit, but after experiencing the accuracy of my custom-bbl'd 40Xs & V-22, I just couldn't put up with the American's factory bbl., so replaced it with a Shilen ratchet rifled select match that I'd chambered with a PTG EPS reamer. There was a large improvement in accuracy, as you'd expect from a quality custom bbl with match chamber. I'm going to drill out the plastic pillars and replace them with aluminum ones, then bed the action, in an attempt to further improve accuracy. Also intend to order Yo Dave trigger spring to see if I can get the trigger break down around 8oz. I put a BScar 25 MOA rail on it, then mounted an Athlon Midas TAC 6-24x50 mil scope in TPS TSR rings, and have been very pleased with that combination, as it's low enough so I get a good cheek weld w/o stock pack or other raised cheek piece.

The last time I shot this rifle along side a V-22 sporter, the effort required to open the bolt was obviously higher than that of the V-22. So yesterday, I chucked-up a piece of 3/4" 6061 rod & turned an extended bolt knob. I'll wait until I've got another job requiring graphite black CeraKote to paint the new knob & then use either loc tite or J-B Weld on the threads, but for now, it's a big improvement in easing the cycling of the bolt, yet isn't so large as to completely ruin the appearance of this nice sporter.
Strange. I would have contacted cz. Mine will group under half a minute with wolf and and 1/2 minute with automatch cheap stuff. I have not tried other ammo yet.

The stock on my American was rather attractive - I thought about contacting CZ-USA's warranty dept, but figured if I sent the rifle back, and they decided the claim of poor accuracy was valid, they might just send me out another rifle - with a stock not so attractive as mine. Since I'm able to do my own bbl work, I just decided to replace the factory bbl with a custom one and go on down the road - and I have no regrets about handling it that way at this point.

I'd read quite a few posts on this & other forums where owners of 455s & 457s had very good results with their factory bbls - but had also read a few where accuracy was lacking. Seems to me that CZ's bbls are pretty much like most other mass-produced commercial barrels - most are probably pretty good, but there's a few stinkers too. I didn't want to screw around with sending my rifle back when there was a chance I'd get another bbl that was disappointing. I wouldn't have gone to the trouble & expense to re-barrel this American if I weren't pretty happy with the action, trigger, and appearance of the rifle.

Reactions: Jgunner
I purchased the 457 PV a few days ago. At this point, it appears to favor SK Standard Plus. The scope is an older "coin click" Leupold 3-9x33 EFR. A solid compact rig that has enough weight for me to hold steady and a shorter barrel for maneuverability in the squirrel woods.

Attachments

• IMG_5303.jpg
    IMG_5303.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_5313.jpg
    IMG_5313.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 157
I acquired a new 457 Varmint with 20" barrel a few weeks back. Now I have a few questions for you 457 owners.

1. What alternative do I have to cover the trigger with a flat trigger shoe or replace the trigger or blade? I do not like the round trigger. It's the only rifle I have with a round trigger face and it's very annoying for me.

2. For those who have replace their factory stock, what did you go with and did you see a significant improvement accuracy; for example if you were consistently shooting 5/8" or more and after stock replacement you groups dropped to 1/2" or less.

Where is a good place to buy spare mags? I assume any that say they are for 452/455 in .22lr are good to go?

Just a heads up. The DIP picatiny rail does not have slots in the center of the rail. So, none of my SPUHR or Larue picatiny mounts fit.
Does anyone know if the SPUHR 4901 fits the 457’s dovetail?

I know the dovetail is the same But, I don’t know if the clamp screws interfere with the bolt.
Thanks

Last edited:
My 457 will be here on Monday. My plan is to either put a Lilja or Bartlein barrel on it. I got the Pro Varmint so I’m still thinking about the stock I want but will probably shoot it for awhile in the Boyd’s stock after bedding it. I hope you can put up some accuracy reports on that new barrel after you get to the range. Did you install it yourself or have a smith do it? I figure I could do it myself but may be able to squeeze a little more accuracy out of it if I have a smith fit it without using shims and get proper head spacing. Also, did you bed it? I know in the Manners it isn’t absolutely necessary but have seen reports that it does improve accuracy.

Reactions: 1911Operator
My 457 will be here on Monday. My plan is to either put a Lilja or Bartlein barrel on it. I got the Pro Varmint so I’m still thinking about the stock I want but will probably shoot it for awhile in the Boyd’s stock after bedding it. I hope you can put up some accuracy reports on that new barrel after you get to the range. Did you install it yourself or have a smith do it? I figure I could do it myself but may be able to squeeze a little more accuracy out of it if I have a smith fit it without using shims and get proper head spacing. Also, did you bed it? I know in the Manners it isn’t absolutely necessary but have seen reports that it does improve accuracy.
I installed the barrel using their shims and the stock is not bedded but came with pillars installed. I actually probably won’t bed the stock unless I just really see a need to.

It very well may not need it. I have a few rifles in chassis that shoot so well I don’t want to mess with them. I do have a few others that I bedded. The increase in accuracy with these is noticeable but was not a huge improvement. I think I’m going to get a Bartlein barrel from Craddock precision. Hopefully once I do that and put in a chassis (probably an MPA) I can get close to Vudoo accuracy. What length barrel did you put one your rifle? It looks good in the Manners. You struck the perfect balance between the stubby 16” and the overly long 24” barrel. If you have time I would love to see an accuracy report after you get it to the range.

It very well may not need it. I have a few rifles in chassis that shoot so well I don’t want to mess with them. I do have a few others that I bedded. The increase in accuracy with these is noticeable but was not a huge improvement. I think I’m going to get a Bartlein barrel from Craddock precision. Hopefully once I do that and put in a chassis (probably an MPA) I can get close to Vudoo accuracy. What length barrel did you put one your rifle? It looks good in the Manners. You struck the perfect balance between the stubby 16” and the overly long 24” barrel. If you have time I would love to see an accuracy report after you get it to the range.
Right now it’s length is their standard 21” that you order from them. Haven’t decided if I’m leaving it at this length or going to cut it back to 18.5” . I’ll see how it shoots first but I’ll be having the barrel and action cerakoted in Sig dark grey here pretty soon. My factory barrel shot some pretty good groups . My best Snipershide 6x5 challenge is in the .2’s but that barrel never really liked any of the really good ammo like Center X and such. It shot SK Standard and Rifle Match really good but both of those would start falling apart after 200 yards. I’m hoping with the lilja I can find something with a bit better extreme spread for shooting out past 300 yards.

There are 2 16.5's for sale on gunbroker. $1099
I ordered mine directly from CZ around the same time as you and just received it last week. According to CZ manners was the hold up. But after taking mine to the range saturday. It was worth the wait.

Question for anyone using a DIP 25 moa rail on your 457... what rings are you running? I need to get a set and want to make sure my bolt handle doesn't rub on the rings.

I will be picking my 457 up in about an hour and have the DIP 25 moa rail. I have a set of the XLR precision scope rings. The ones I have are 34mm medium height. I’m pretty sure they will be a good fit. I will let you know later this evening. The scope is a Bushnell DMRii.

Reactions: gunjunkie45
A recent epiphany has me coming to grips with the fact that I just don't enjoy shooting much of anything other than 22LR and 9mm (with a little 380 and 300BLK subsonic thrown in for good measure) so I just ordered an MPA 22BA rifle linked here and put my The Fix 6.5 creedmoor up for sale... wish I could list it here in the PX but not enough posts... Anyway, very excited to start investing more time/effort/dollars in the pursuit of rimfire excellence. I am really sold on the CZ457 as the way to go and thought the MPA rifle was a nice shortcut to some custom features right out of the gate. Anyone have any advice on additional mods/accessories/requests I should run by MPA while I am still in the early stages of the order/build/deliver process which looks to be around 8-10 weeks from now? I am going to be putting a EOTech Vudu 5-25x50 FFP MD3 on it and focusing all of my efforts on learning to shoot and maintain this rifle as best I can. Also, even though I have a silencerco spectre II on the way, thinking about using that suppressor with a few rimfire pistols I have and ordering a TBAC 22 Take Down to pretty much use exclusively with this rifle. Going to be looking into NRL22 competition and all things rimfire but I am just a beginner. Any advice on getting started the best way possible would be greatly appreciated.

A shooting buddy had a 457 American at our match Saturday. I thought the aesthetics were very nice and the wood on his was outstanding for a "rack-grade" rifle. It has nice figure and well executed checkering. Also, the little extra sculpting on the action, proper safety (ala R700 type) and rich bluing pleased the eyes. The proof, as with any 22LR, was in the pudding. That damn thing is a shooter for sure!

Took it out to 300yrds today. 6 shots at the head after finding the correct dope. 6 impacts. The two groups are 5 rounds of center X and 5 rounds of SK Long Range Match. From 50 yards.

Attachments

• 0D73337E-2664-4FD6-BEDC-060AC5A27B12.jpeg
    0D73337E-2664-4FD6-BEDC-060AC5A27B12.jpeg
    697 KB · Views: 98
  • 738B4988-8072-43C8-8952-685819CD47EC.jpeg
    738B4988-8072-43C8-8952-685819CD47EC.jpeg
    468.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 990B2E0F-79BB-4058-8779-8D7EE2F4A5A6.jpeg
    990B2E0F-79BB-4058-8779-8D7EE2F4A5A6.jpeg
    877.7 KB · Views: 103
  • D709C96E-E489-4A23-A7C3-EEDC34D310D7.jpeg
    D709C96E-E489-4A23-A7C3-EEDC34D310D7.jpeg
    490.2 KB · Views: 116
Reactions: MDrimfirerookie
The pillars in all the 457 stocks I've looked at are some sort of poly/plastic. I intend to drill them out and glue in aluminum pillars eventually, along with fully bedding the actions in both my American & Varmint MTR.

Is that really necessary? Are the rifles not shooting?

It seems the very large majority of feedback says the 457 is an accurate rifle. I have a Pro Varmint on the way and I've been wondering if new pillars and bedding is something I should do right away, or is it completely unnecessary.

Is that really necessary? Are the rifles not shooting?

It seems the very large majority of feedback says the 457 is an accurate rifle. I have a Pro Varmint on the way and I've been wondering if new pillars and bedding is something I should do right away, or is it completely unnecessary.

Both my 457s have Shilen select match, ratchet rifled bbls I chambered with my match EPS reamer. They're both glued-in, so no stress from grub screws as on a stock 457. Both bbls are completely floated, and I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or not, but will pillar & bed them both to find out if that helps tighten groups. It's helped a bit with three V-22s, feel there's nothing to lose by trying it on the 457s.

Both my 457s have Shilen select match, ratchet rifled bbls I chambered with my match EPS reamer. They're both glued-in, so no stress from grub screws as on a stock 457. Both bbls are completely floated, and I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or not, but will pillar & bed them both to find out if that helps tighten groups. It's helped a bit with three V-22s, feel there's nothing to lose by trying it on the 457s.

Where are you getting the pillars?

IMG_7832.jpg
IMG_7763.JPG

CZ457 Pro Varmint
Area 419 30 MOA Base
Vortex Precision Matched Rings
Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24-50
Silencerco Sparrow Suppressor
Victor Company Titan Stackable Cheek Rest

Shoots close to .5 MOA groups at 50 yards with CCI Standard Velocity and have enough elevation dial in the scope to reach out close to 300 yards, but that's at 5000 ft elevation. Been shooting clay pigeons out at that distance. Too much fun!

Reactions: 1911Operator
Sweet looking rifle red_dog79 !!! I have the Pro Varmit also.. went with an Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50 and 419 30 MOA rail.. I have the Victor cheek rest on my 1022 Kidd/Titan build and was thinking of using one on my CZ if I needed it..

Sweet looking rifle red_dog79 !!! I have the Pro Varmit also.. went with an Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50 and 419 30 MOA rail.. I have the Victor cheek rest on my 1022 Kidd/Titan build and was thinking of using one on my CZ if I needed it..
Thanks 1911Oerator! How do you like the Athlon? Was looking at that but picked up the vortex on Ebay for a good deal.

Just got my varmint pro last week. Put an are 419 base and burris XTR II on there. CCI SV shoots well enough but it seems to like federal hunter match and SK standard plus. Shot two groups with SK
cz.jpg
but part of the second got torn off. I'll have to go back and shoot some more groups with the SK.

Attachments

• cz 1.JPG
    cz 1.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 194
  • cz 2.JPG
    cz 2.JPG
    244.9 KB · Views: 206
  • cz 3.JPG
    cz 3.JPG
    241.3 KB · Views: 199
  • cz 4.JPG
    cz 4.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 204
  • cz 5.JPG
    cz 5.JPG
    241.6 KB · Views: 181
I took my Pro Varmit out today for the first time.. just mounted up a Nikon 3-9×40 that I had on hand..have an Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50 that will be going on after I get the rings later this week.. I shot 175 rounds of CCI sv and seemed good..some real good groups and then some opened up a bit.. Switched to SK Rifle Match and shot 50 rounds of it.. groups under a 1/2".. at 50 yards..very pleased with how this rifle performed..just took the bolt out and polished it a little to get the roughness out of it..haven't touched the trigger yet..

Attachments

• 20190929_142919.jpg
    20190929_142919.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 140
Reactions: red_dog79
I took my new Pro Varmint out last Friday. I tried a little bit of everything through it it shot the CCI SV pretty decent. It also shot all the different Elay ammo decent but nothing to get to excited about. The SK ammo I tried it shot fantastic. I had a box of SK Pistol match special and I was simply amazed at how well it shot. Unfortunately I only had one box of the ammo. I ordered another brick and hopefully it will shoot it just as well.
2F6C90B8-9124-4CFB-B248-5F77D168A823.jpeg
50DCF3A6-8AF1-4580-9A12-E8FAC8EBB24C.jpeg

I took my new Pro Varmint out last Friday. I tried a little bit of everything through it it shot the CCI SV pretty decent. It also shot all the different Elay ammo decent but nothing to get to excited about. The SK ammo I tried it shot fantastic. I had a box of SK Pistol match special and I was simply amazed at how well it shot. Unfortunately I only had one box of the ammo. I ordered another brick and hopefully it will shoot it just as well. View attachment 7155711View attachment 7155712

Is that the DIP rail? I ordered that and a buddy said it sucked. So I also ordered an Area 419. But I dont like how much thicker the 419 is.

So does DIP mount properly and hold? Or is 419 the way to go?

Birddog66424 I have a DIP 0 MOA rail on mine.. Lines up great..only one range session, but no issuses.. I do have an Area 419 30 MOA rail coming this week to go along with my Midas Tac scope.. they had them on sale this weekend with 10% off.. can never have enough spare parts..lol

Is that the DIP rail? I ordered that and a buddy said it sucked. So I also ordered an Area 419. But I dont like how much thicker the 419 is.

So does DIP mount properly and hold? Or is 419 the way to go?

I have the DIP and it mounts great. Has screws that line up with the holes in the top of the receiver. I don't see how it could move and it sits much lower than the 419 rail. Only issue is getting the right rings to allow the bolt handle to clear without rubbing. I've got TPS rings on mine and they just clear.

As the other guys have said the DIP rail works great. Mine is the 25moa. I don’t really see how it could move based on how it mounts. It slides on the dovetail on top of the receiver and then has set screws that lock into the dimples in the top of the receiver. A little loctite and it isn’t going anywhere.

As the other guys have said the DIP rail works great. Mine is the 25moa. I don’t really see how it could move based on how it mounts. It slides on the dovetail on top of the receiver and then has set screws that lock into the dimples in the top of the receiver. A little loctite and it isn’t going anywhere.
What height rings are you using with the Toric? I've got one on preorder for when they're back in stock.

What height rings are you using with the Toric? I've got one on preorder for when they're back in stock.

The ones I have are .85 to the center. Probably about 1/4” under the scope.

BTW you are going to love the Toric. It is an absolutely fantastic optic.

Last edited:
Reactions: gunjunkie45

I’m interested in a CZ 457 (not sure if I’ll go with the MTR or the VPT). From what I’m reading choosing the MTR with the match chamber you have more chances of getting a good barrel rather than the VPT. You were saying about a shillen cut with a match reamer and glued... Can you please explain? What you mean by glued? How much better is that vs a Lilja

Thanks.

Last edited: