• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

I have a 457 Pro Varmint I love, but my cheek/comb is built up so much with tape and padding almost no one else can shoot it. Sooooo I was looking at something like a KRG Bravo or Boyds AT ONE with adjustability. Any other stocks like that I can look at that will let me drop the 457 in easily? I looked at drilling out my stock and a project, but barely have enough time to shoot at it is right now so that's not my 1st option. Thanks
I'm wanting to ditch my AT-ONE stock. The comb doesn't raise very much on it.

I'm wanting to ditch my AT-ONE stock. The comb doesn't raise very much on it.
Oh geez am I glad you said that....I had someone do a measurement on a KRG and it 'seems' like it should be enough, but I also didn't consider what baseline height is for a low set of rings. Hmmmm.

Oh geez am I glad you said that....I had someone do a measurement on a KRG and it 'seems' like it should be enough, but I also didn't consider what baseline height is for a low set of rings. Hmmmm.
I just looked it up...the AT-ONE has 5/8 inch of comb adjustment.

Finally was able to set the hook in my brother on NRL22...

I'm setting him up with a 457 AT-One and Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25. I figure we'll go with the Area419 30moa scope base... Have any of you 457 folks with the Are419 base gone with a 34mm tube? Trying to figure out what ring heights to order... I know I had clearance issues on my 455 with the Area419 base. I'm hoping we get away with lows (.25" rail to bottom of tube) to keep the cheek rest at a reasonable height w/o extensions...

Any input?

I just looked t the KRG bravo 457 page...It says:

Cheekpiece:
  • Infinitely adjustable within range (~1” travel).
Maybe its a "big" ~1" !!!

Yeah, whatever the number for the comb adjustment range is, it's been plenty for me with a Vortex Diamondback FFP 5-25x scope. I raise the cheek piece up barely half-way of its range to get it where I need it.

Maybe a silly question, but just recieved a SAP extra mag holder for my 457 VPT. I've seen most people put it where I've circled on the picture. That manners has a channel that runs there, it's not flat like other stocks I've seen. Anyone install their mag holder somewhere else? More specifically on a manners?
20201105_145052.jpg

@Mr. Wolf It's the Boyd's Pro Varmint stock. The inletting was pretty loose so I did pillars and epoxy bedding. Needed a little sanding to get the barrel free floating. Added spacers to get my LOP right (that white bit is 3 slices of an old cutting board). Comb riser is the Victor/Titan. Rattle can grey paint to finish it off. A little texture would've been nice, maybe some other time.

It was shooting one hole groups at 50 yards (CCI SV) right out of the box. The above work didn't improve accuracy much, but the improved fit alone was worth it.

I have the CZ rimfire suppressor on backorder. I'm excited about that. I think it'll make it look a lot more balanced, especially since I made the stock longer and bulkier. I'm really stuck in the CZ suppressor because it's the same diameter as the barrel, so it'll blend right in, but damn, it's already been on back order for 7 months...and then my form 4...so maybe this will be all put together for the 2022 summer rimfire season. Here's hoping. I love CZ products, but it's always such a crap shoot with lead time.

Antares-
I’ve been on the road too long and I need to get some shooting in after turkey day... I have the 457 PV with the same stock but with that paint job, i didn’t even recognize it as the same stock I’m also thinking about increasing the LOP and putting a Titan cheek riser. Atlas bipod and a suppressor are great choices.
Happy shooting.

Yeah the LOP and comb mods are "must have" for me. This just looks way cleaner than what I had on it before (leather/velcro pad for LOP and a kydex, foam, electrical tape mess for comb height).

You can always mock it up like I did before you commit. Just to make sure you like it.

Last edited:
I have a 457 Pro Varmint I love, but my cheek/comb is built up so much with tape and padding almost no one else can shoot it. Sooooo I was looking at something like a KRG Bravo or Boyds AT ONE with adjustability. Any other stocks like that I can look at that will let me drop the 457 in easily? I looked at drilling out my stock and a project, but barely have enough time to shoot at it is right now so that's not my 1st option. Thanks
I just picked up these McRee comp 457 chassis. I'm switching pistol grips and will have rifles in them this week with better pics. First picture is the chassis out of the CNC, being hand fitted and checked before coating. Then after oven bake cerakote. They are folding stocks, have integrated ARCA rail, and have built in bubble level. I also got 35MOA scope rails from McRee Precision.

Attachments

• 20201116_083530.jpg
    20201116_083530.jpg
    710.9 KB · Views: 151
  • 20201118_130906.jpg
    20201118_130906.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 148

CZ, you just ruined my holiday budget.
Price is listed as $399 for the chassis on the CZ website but not in stock.

Figure another $250 for a buttstock and AR grips and you can have very competent setup.
Ps: what’s the best way to drop hints to the kids and wife for X-mas gifts?

YMMV, happy shooting.

Reactions: macthknife
Looks good! (y) Real good! I don’t compete but that looks intriguing. Using the AR stocks and grips, I could do some damage to my wallet. I’ve been wanting a a cheek riser for my pro varmint. Would a magpul PRS be a good option? How about this vs MDT chassis?

Last edited:
FYI - MDT Premium rings and DIP rail don't play well with the 457 bolt handle. Will need to chamfer the corner a bit.

20201205_162251.jpg

Reactions: macthknife
@Kisssofdeath - No, that is the furthest forward slot. The MDT rings just have a bit too much meat on them in that area. A few swipes of the file and some touch up should do it.

What about flipping them around?

Very stoked to have found a great deal on a CZ457 Varmint MTR locally, today. Already had a Nikon Black FX1000 4x16x50 on the way for it. Should be a fun combo. Looking forward to some range time.

Reactions: Twostep
Picked this a couple of weeks ago, finally had a chance to test it. Not bad at all!
1st 2 groups - CCI Standard
2nd 2 groups - SK Long Range Match

Attachments

• IMG_002.jpg
    IMG_002.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_003.jpg
    IMG_003.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_004.jpg
    IMG_004.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_006.jpg
    IMG_006.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_005.jpg
    IMG_005.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_001.jpg
    IMG_001.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 136
I finally got some ARA Factory targets to practice with my MTR. In the last week I have shot 4 targets for score. I'm very pleased so far. My rifle is getting more consistent the more rounds I put through it. I think I'm around 1k now. The 4 targets score were 2275, 2200, 2300, and finally 2400. Here's the last target, the P in the corner means I plugged it. From some of the other targets I've seen on the Rimfire section a lot of you would shoot 2500.

50696772807_5cf43cf3ff_z.jpg

Finally was able to set the hook in my brother on NRL22...

I'm setting him up with a 457 AT-One and Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25. I figure we'll go with the Area419 30moa scope base... Have any of you 457 folks with the Are419 base gone with a 34mm tube? Trying to figure out what ring heights to order... I know I had clearance issues on my 455 with the Area419 base. I'm hoping we get away with lows (.25" rail to bottom of tube) to keep the cheek rest at a reasonable height w/o extensions...

Any input?

I have the same scope on my 457 and have no issues. I believe the 457 has shorter 60 degree bolt throw than the 455. I used a D.I.P 20MOA rail which is lower than the A419 one. Make sure the A419 one has enough rail in the front. I had to buy the extended one from D.I.P.

Did the math and so I am using Seekins xhigh rings - they are not AR xhigh, more like other rings' medium height. With that setup my scope height is 2.04". I think Seekins makes the rings for Vortex. They are identical. Ring height doesn't matter, all Seekins rings have the same bolt clearance. Pictures below:

And here's a handy Scope Height Calculator. My concern was the front bell hitting the barrel, if I ever go with a straight .900 inch custom barrel.

http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator

My setup:
i-mknQcnb-X5.jpg

Seekins pic of different height rings attached - mine are the third from the front:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-10 081807.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-12-10 081807.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
I recently acquired a LRP and it came with a test target. I havent been able to get an optic on it yet and test fire it. I was wondering how indicative of accuracy these reports are?

Reactions: kai24
I recently acquired a LRP and it came with a test target. I havent been able to get an optic on it yet and test fire it. I was wondering how indicative of accuracy these reports are?
A lot of people say it's not an indicator for accuracy, just for function. I'd just about say that's true except with my guns. I have several CZ 452's and all shoot in general according to their targets. For example, the Ultra Lux is very accurate, the Varmint is very accurate, their test targets are very accurate. I have a 16" threaded factory barreled 452 American, it's not very accurate, the test target show it to not be very accurate. Take this for what it's worth.

Well mine showed a .51" group, and I am hoping for better than that. Hopefully through ammo testing it will perform better.

Saw a post earlier that someone had to bevel the corner of their rings, because they interfered with the bolt handle on their 457. They were mounted on the D.I.P. rail. I ordered the Vortex Pro rings, and they already have that bevel out of the package.

Attachments

• IMG_8878.jpeg
    IMG_8878.jpeg
    379.6 KB · Views: 101
I guess this is just a general thread for the CZ 457 so I hope this is in the right spot. I had issues with my cheek weld and see that several did on here as well. I did some looking and found that Manners sells an Elite Adjustable Cheek Riser. (Sorry if this is old news) Easy call to Manners. $129+ship and all is well. If you have time to wait, they told me they would do the install for nothing. Just have to send them the stock and buy the cheek piece. I was told 5-8 weeks turnaround if you send it in. Doesn't take high tech tools. I have ancient drill press and used a mounting vice on the press to mount the stock vertically so I could drill into the top. When arrived, it was installed in less than an hour.

Used the pillars as a guide for the bit and placed a piece of tape around the bit just above the height of the pillar. I drilled a pilot hole first with a 1/4" bit to the depth of the pillar. Using the cheek riser as a template so that I got the spacing correct. Then repeated myself with a 1/2" bit using the same method. A little epoxy for the pillars and 24 hours later... she's done. I highly suggest this route. There is no significant additional weight and it is rock solid.

It is also adjustable. It comes with three spacers and it would be easy to purchase a few more if needed (or make them yourself).

Attachments

• Stock Pic 2.jpg
    Stock Pic 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 235
  • Stock Pic 1.jpg
    Stock Pic 1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 254
  • Stock Pic 3.jpg
    Stock Pic 3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 255
  • Stock Pic 4.jpg
    Stock Pic 4.jpg
    931.7 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
I have much to learn and am grateful for having the ability to own, shoot and and enjoy my rifles. Also, much respect to the resources, advice, and excellent shooters in the Hide.
This weekend I finally got around to shooting and enjoying time with my boys. They are progressing nicely in the shooting discipline and I am certain that they will out shoot me in a few years.
Today I chanced the rain and winds to go to the range alone to practice some fundamentals. The 200 yard range was empty, but the 600 yard F-Class competition was on and the flags gave me some reason to question whether I should be shooting groups today. (The 10 MPH flags were pointed in 3 different directions at the same time!) Prevailing headwind but switching conditions to say the least. Temp 59F, humidity 99%, DA 968 ft.

Attached are the 6x5 groups at 50 yards with the CZ 457 Pro Varmint, Athlon Argos BTR Gen2, Atlas CAL bipod and SK Standard+ and SK Rifle Match. The rifle now has approximately 750 rounds and it is settling in nicely. Of note, earlier groups with the SK Standard+ shot an average of .520” 5 shot group shortly after purchase.

I must have been temporarily possessed by the spirit of Carlos Hathcock as I felt like I was able to read wind at my face and observe the mirage down range to time my shots. I also noticed that when I waited with a round in the chamber, that shot would usually end up as one of the higher hole in the group. The groups were shot prone with a bipod and a home made bean bag.

Results:
SK Std + (yellow box) 6x5 at 50 yards = .427"
SK Rifle Match (red box) 6x5 at 50 yards = .361"

I’m sure the rifle can do better in good weather conditions and with a more competent shooter.
Happy to answer questions and I’d appreciate any suggestions on how to progress on my shooting journey.
YMMV and happy shooting.
37D0142A-5AF7-45A9-8EED-FCDE6E0550EE.jpeg
7696391F-C445-4F10-BE05-035AC4274228.jpeg
FB9CA442-157F-4F2B-921D-4931855F2FE3.jpeg

A lot of people say it's not an indicator for accuracy, just for function. I'd just about say that's true except with my guns. I have several CZ 452's and all shoot in general according to their targets. For example, the Ultra Lux is very accurate, the Varmint is very accurate, their test targets are very accurate. I have a 16" threaded factory barreled 452 American, it's not very accurate, the test target show it to not be very accurate. Take this for what it's worth.

I agree here, the test targets seem to give you somewhat of an idea how the rifle will perform, I can tell you this for sure, if the point of impact on the test target is way off more than a couple inches.......stay away, friend bought one and POI on the test target was very very low, and when he scoped it and tried to sight in, you guessed it, couldnt sight it in, he returned it to CZ.

Last edited:
I have much to learn and am grateful for having the ability to own, shoot and and enjoy my rifles. Also, much respect to the resources, advice, and excellent shooters in the Hide.
This weekend I finally got around to shooting and enjoying time with my boys. They are progressing nicely in the shooting discipline and I am certain that they will out shoot me in a few years.
Today I chanced the rain and winds to go to the range alone to practice some fundamentals. The 200 yard range was empty, but the 600 yard F-Class competition was on and the flags gave me some reason to question whether I should be shooting groups today. (The 10 MPH flags were pointed in 3 different directions at the same time!) Prevailing headwind but switching conditions to say the least. Temp 59F, humidity 99%, DA 968 ft.

Attached are the 6x5 groups at 50 yards with the CZ 457 Pro Varmint, Athlon Argos BTR Gen2, Atlas CAL bipod and SK Standard+ and SK Rifle Match. The rifle now has approximately 750 rounds and it is settling in nicely. Of note, earlier groups with the SK Standard+ shot an average of .520” 5 shot group shortly after purchase.

I must have been temporarily possessed by the spirit of Carlos Hathcock as I felt like I was able to read wind at my face and observe the mirage down range to time my shots. I also noticed that when I waited with a round in the chamber, that shot would usually end up as one of the higher hole in the group. The groups were shot prone with a bipod and a home made bean bag.

Results:
SK Std + (yellow box) 6x5 at 50 yards = .427"
SK Rifle Match (red box) 6x5 at 50 yards = .361"

I’m sure the rifle can do better in good weather conditions and with a more competent shooter.
Happy to answer questions and I’d appreciate any suggestions on how to progress on my shooting journey.
YMMV and happy shooting.
View attachment 7507277View attachment 7507278View attachment 7507280

Those look good to me, I have been considering a 457 Pro Varmint or AT-ONE with the 16.5" barrel, if I could find one that I know would shoot groups like yours, I would buy it in a heartbeat, its kinda of a crap shoot.

Those look good to me, I have been considering a 457 Pro Varmint or AT-ONE with the 16.5" barrel, if I could find one that I know would shoot groups like yours, I would buy it in a heartbeat, its kinda of a crap shoot.
Thank you. I had my doubts during the first 500 rounds and finding the right ammo it likes was a challenge in the world we live in today.
Also, unlike some of my other builds, I did not add anything to this rifle that I would consider “good enough for rimfire”.
Lastly, shooting groups with 22lr is proving to be much more challenging than centerfire rifles where .5 MOA isn’t uncommon with today’s equipment.
YMMV, happyshooting.