• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

Just mounted our VMTR Barreled action in the Manners stock (from the VPT MTR) and I absolutely love it.

View attachment 8310612

Parts list:
  • CZ 457 Varmint MTR Barreled Action
  • McMaster Carr 612 Trigger Spring and Polished Sear (~1.5 lb pull)
  • Area 419 30 MOA Rail
  • Bushnell Match Pro 6-24x50
  • Vortex Pro Series 30mm Medium Rings
  • Area 419 Weighted ARCA Rail
  • Caldwell Swivel Bipod with Area 419 Harris ARCA Lock Adapter
  • Gray Ops CNC Shorty Bag Stop
  • Area 419 Bolt Knob
I went similar but I have the 16" MTR barrel, I might pull my LRP barrel off the 455 but my sons like how short it is.
  • CZ 457 16"MTR Barreled Action
  • McMaster Carr 612 Trigger Spring and Polished Sear (~1.5 lb pull)
  • Area 419 30 MOA Rail
  • Bushnell Match Pro ED
  • Zeiss Rings (I love them)
  • L3I Heavy steel ARCA Rail
  • Area 419 ARCA Lock Adapter w/ Atlas CAL
  • Super secret magwell/ latch
  • L3I Bolt Knob
  • L3I mags (all the L3I mags)

PhotoRoom-20231231_201112~2.pngreceived_879619683710248~3.jpeg

Last edited:
How does the SCOUT barrel shoot now?
Shoots fine and still groups well at 50 yards. I've been using it for NRL22 for a little over a year. Just looking to upgrade to a match barrel that would also help balance the gun since its very rear heavy in the KRG Bravo chassis.

Check out the new bottom metal coming from L3I

Attachments

• 410663752_892125632617415_8860594413495859067_n.jpg
    410663752_892125632617415_8860594413495859067_n.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 154
  • 413062758_893244825863927_3663350895920250445_n.jpg
    413062758_893244825863927_3663350895920250445_n.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 413418275_897666828731827_5097771536707871055_n.jpg
    413418275_897666828731827_5097771536707871055_n.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 148
Nice.

For those of us in the DEEP south,
these are available in Aus,

I don't actually have a CZ factory guard that isn't metal but I remember somebody saying certain models had them. I have a varmint, MTR, another MTR and a pro varmint.

Last edited:
It’s the one piece vs two piece that’s difference. Not that he’s metal. They’re all metal.

Reactions: Big Phish
I didn't know if they were all metal or plastic.
Was more showing there is an option here with the barricade stop also.

Have to pick up another 457 in synthetic varmint either today or tomorrow.

Anyone have experience with the EABCO barrel? Looking for an upgrade from my scout barrel but not looking to spend $600.

https://eabco.com/eabco-cz-457-accuracy-barrel-24-stainless/
I have one on order. I didn't need it but they hooked me at 24" stainless. I'm not expecting Lilja accuracy at 1/2 the price but I'll be happy if it shoots as well as my 24" factory barreled AT-_One. Word on the street is that these are made by Shaw but I can't confirm. Based on a previous experience with a EABCO branded 10/22 barrel, I expect it will meet expectations in all departments.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoftCookie
I have one on order. I didn't need it but they hooked me at 24" stainless. I'm not expecting Lilja accuracy at 1/2 the price but I'll be happy if it shoots as well as my 24" factory barreled AT-_One. Word on the street is that these are made by Shaw but I can't confirm. Based on a previous experience with a EABCO branded 10/22 barrel, I expect it will meet expectations in all departments.
Keep us posted on your results. I started looking at Lilja barrels and now I'm going down the rabbit hole and looking at Modacam barrels lol. So much for not wanted to spend $600.

Keep us posted on your results. I started looking at Lilja barrels and now I'm going down the rabbit hole and looking at Modacam barrels lol. So much for not wanted to spend $600.
I was just looking at their site and looks like they use Mullerworks and Krieger barrels, if you end up going this route you may as well send your action in and let them fit the barrel and do the ignition tuning.

I believe Jonathan said the MW 457 barrel was $800.
Wow, while I have no doubt his barrels are top notch, I'd personally struggle to justify a $800 barrel on a $200 action. :) As much as I like my CZ's, I'd be thinking that kind of money is closing in on a Vudoo real fast. That said, I have dropped $400+ twice on a new Lilja,

Reactions: Big Phish
My stock barreled Varmint will do 1/2-3/4" at 100 yards all as long as my fundamentals don't get me off tracked so spending a lot of money for something on a barrel to make it better may not make me a better shooter. I know a lot of guys replace barrel and stock just so the weight up there for stability but it's not for me. My Bergara B14r is already at 14.5 lbs and I appreciate the lighter CZ Varmint more so but it a equipment race regardless.

Wow, while I have no doubt his barrels are top notch, I'd personally struggle to justify a $800 barrel on a $200 action. :) As much as I like my CZ's, I'd be thinking that kind of money is closing in on a Vudoo real fast. That said, I have dropped $400+ twice on a new Lilja,
Yah, I talked to him early October. Gave his barrel some thought but ended up ordering a 360.

My stock barreled Varmint will do 1/2-3/4" at 100 yards all as long as my fundamentals don't get me off tracked so spending a lot of money for something on a barrel to make it better may not make me a better shooter. I know a lot of guys replace barrel and stock just so the weight up there for stability but it's not for me. My Bergara B14r is already at 14.5 lbs and I appreciate the lighter CZ Varmint more so but it a equipment race regardless.
"...all day, 'long as I do my part."

Yah, I talked to him early October. Gave his barrel some thought but ended up ordering a 360.

That's funny, I made the exact same decision. However one of my buddies decided to give it a go. Interesting to see how they compare. We'll both be shooting with the same chassis also so should be an interesting comparison.

Is there any difference in actions between the different 457 models? I was thinking about picking up one to put in a Bravo with a Lilja barrel.

Is there any difference in actions between the different 457 models? I was thinking about picking up one to put in a Bravo with a Lilja barrel.
As far as my google fu can determine, all the CZ actions are the same.

I've been recommending finding the cheapest rifle someone can and doing what you're thinking.

I've been known to be wrong at least twice now, so someone chime in if I'm off-base

M

Reactions: WillEver
As far as my google fu can determine, all the CZ actions are the same.

I've been recommending finding the cheapest rifle someone can and doing what you're thinking.

I've been known to be wrong at least twice now, so someone chime in if I'm off-base

M
A local smith does just that, buys the least expensive one he can find then parts it out and builds around the action.

Reactions: WillEver

They're all the same aside from the customized ones from some gunsmiths like DPG. But as far as factory options the actions are all the same.

We have had a sorta curvy path on getting our MTR together, but it is getting there slowly. I'm for now just planning to play around and accessorize the stock rifle a little and will look at optimization and/or parts replacement later, if at all.

We broke the rifle in my shooting bench and prone on sandbags with an Vortex Diamondback scope. I got the feeling right away that it was a shooter because the gun wasn't optimized and it was shooting under an MOA at 50-100 yards in lousy conditions, like winds that moved the shooter around a bunch.

About a month ago, my son bought a Vortex 5-25 Strike Eagle and I got a 30MOA rail and rings. Then a couple of weeks ago, I used Lash's approach to mount a rail, then put an Atlas bipod on it. Even with variable winds, it mostly shot groups at 50 yards in the 0.5 to 0.7 MOA range and had a few groups below 0.5 MOA. Best was 0.24. One group had 4 shots into 0.13, then a flier, so I think that's a range to strive for.

I'm normally prone to be a trigger snob, but I like the stock trigger and I've left it untouched so far. We've had good performance from Norma Tac-22 and excellent performance from Lapua Super Long Range. A few CCI cartridges have been good, but none stellar.

I do realize that the group sizes I mentioned above are not hot shit for competitive shooters. Back when I had decent vision, I was competitive enough to know good. Now I'm just a blind old fucker that can't shoot for shit.

Reactions: Big Phish and lash
We have had a sorta curvy path on getting our MTR together, but it is getting there slowly. I'm for now just planning to play around and accessorize the stock rifle a little and will look at optimization and/or parts replacement later, if at all.

We broke the rifle in my shooting bench and prone on sandbags with an Vortex Diamondback scope. I got the feeling right away that it was a shooter because the gun wasn't optimized and it was shooting under an MOA at 50-100 yards in lousy conditions, like winds that moved the shooter around a bunch.

About a month ago, my son bought a Vortex 5-25 Strike Eagle and I got a 30MOA rail and rings. Then a couple of weeks ago, I used Lash's approach to mount a rail, then put an Atlas bipod on it. Even with variable winds, it mostly shot groups at 50 yards in the 0.5 to 0.7 MOA range and had a few groups below 0.5 MOA. Best was 0.24. One group had 4 shots into 0.13, then a flier, so I think that's a range to strive for.

I'm normally prone to be a trigger snob, but I like the stock trigger and I've left it untouched so far. We've had good performance from Norma Tac-22 and excellent performance from Lapua Super Long Range. A few CCI cartridges have been good, but none stellar.

I do realize that the group sizes I mentioned above are not hot shit for competitive shooters. Back when I had decent vision, I was competitive enough to know good. Now I'm just a blind old fucker that can't shoot for shit.
Half the fun of building a CZ in in the process itself. As far as the trigger, it's easy enough to get it in the 10 oz range with a simple (and cheap) spring change.

Did anyone manage to grab an MCR 1.2" barrel today? They were in stock for less than a minute. I missed the window.

Sure it wasn't just a bug on their site? If so that's exciting news they were able to make enough to have stock. Those have been back ordered for a while.

Edit: Buddy just said he got an email about it today. Guess they were in stock and solid out pretty much instantly.

Yeah I had my phone in my hand when I got the email. I immediately opened the link and had the barrel in my cart. By the time the checkout window loaded they were OOS.

Yeah I had my phone in my hand when I got the email. I immediately opened the link and had the barrel in my cart. By the time the checkout window loaded they were OOS.

That's heart breaking. He said the same thing happened to him. Emailed came in, he clicked the link and by the time he checked out they were gone :(

I feel like they should just add a backorder option at this point.

Does anyone know of any ProVarmints in stock? i want to upgrade my 455 but can't find one.

I checked gun.deals and everywhere is showing out of stock. Same with the VMTR. Only thing I can find that's similar to the pro-varmint is the AT-ONE but from sites I'm not familiar with:

Yea, looks like another low in the typical CZ availability cycle. For the last month or so, nearly everything but Acouts, Americans and Jaguars have dried up in any quantity. Even the big players like Battlehawk and Dahlonega are picked pretty clean. That said, there are still a few Varmints and even one Varmint MTR on gunbroker to be had if your wanting to pay a little extra now rather than wait for the next influx of CZ inventory. Personally, I'd buy the 20" Varmint over the 16" Pro varmint anyway.

I checked gun.deals and everywhere is showing out of stock. Same with the VMTR. Only thing I can find that's similar to the pro-varmint is the AT-ONE but from sites I'm not familiar with:

Thanks for checking. I don't want the AT-ONE though since I'm not super confident I'd be able to sell that stock. I'm going MDT with this. I think I'll wait and find the one I want.

Yea, looks like another low in the typical CZ availability cycle. For the last month or so, nearly everything but Acouts, Americans and Jaguars have dried up in any quantity. Even the big players like Battlehawk and Dahlonega are picked pretty clean. That said, there are still a few Varmints and even one Varmint MTR on gunbroker to be had if your wanting to pay a little extra now rather than wait for the next influx of CZ inventory. Personally, I'd buy the 20" Varmint over the 16" Pro varmint anyway.
Those aren't threaded are they? I have my 455, so I'm ok waiting, but you know how it is....I have the itch, so I at least had to see if I could find what I wanted.

Thanks for checking. I don't want the AT-ONE though since I'm not super confident I'd be able to sell that stock. I'm going MDT with this. I think I'll wait and find the one I want.

Are you set on the 16 inch threaded barrel? If not you could pick up any CZ 457 you can find and pick up an aftermarket barrel to go with the MDT Chassis of your choice. There are a good amount of quality barrels out there from Lilja, EABCO, LW, etc, and some really nice custom ones from the likes of Modacam. Are you planning on getting the LSS Gen2? A 16 inch barrel will look really stubby in the Oryx or XRS. I don't think it'll even extend past the forend of the ACC.

The Varmint Pro stock isn't exactly in demand so if your concern is selling the stock, I'd stick with one of the Walnut variety (VMTR Stock is probably the most in demand after the Manners stocks). If you want a factory barrel and don't care about the threading, Lost Nation sells the MTR Barrel Actions. They're out of stock currently but I've seen them in stock regularly (https://lostnationrd.com/product/cz-457-mtr-barreled-action/).

Reactions: WeeHooker
Are you set on the 16 inch threaded barrel? If not you could pick up any CZ 457 you can find and pick up an aftermarket barrel to go with the MDT Chassis of your choice. There are a good amount of quality barrels out there from Lilja, EABCO, LW, etc, and some really nice custom ones from the likes of Modacam. Are you planning on getting the LSS Gen2? A 16 inch barrel will look really stubby in the Oryx or XRS. I don't think it'll even extend past the forend of the ACC.

The Varmint Pro stock isn't exactly in demand so if your concern is selling the stock, I'd stick with one of the Walnut variety (VMTR Stock is probably the most in demand after the Manners stocks). If you want a factory barrel and don't care about the threading, Lost Nation sells the MTR Barrel Actions. They're out of stock currently but I've seen them in stock regularly (https://lostnationrd.com/product/cz-457-mtr-barreled-action/).
This. If your looking to customize right out of the box, why pay $600-$700+ for what will be a parts gun. It's not hard to find CZ 457 synthetic Americans or Jaguars for at/under $450. From there you can resell the takeoff barrel and stock for $200-$250 ish and put the savings towards the stock and barrel you really want.

Last edited:

I actually prefer 20", but you can't get a 20" threaded bull/varmint barrelI, so I was settling on the 16". Also, CZ factory barrels shoot so well, I really didn't wanna replace whatever I bought. You're definitely right about it looking stubby, but I'm fine with that. A suppressor gives it some more length. I haven't actually picked a chassis yet, I just assume MDT. I love my KRG and Manners stuff too, so I can't say I wouldn't buy one of those if something popped up in the BST.

I had no idea you could buy a barreled action 457. Thanks for that. If one of these other models doesn't come in stock and this does, I just might ahve to jump on it.

This. If your looking to customize right out of the box, why pay $600-$700+ for what will be a parts gun. It's not hard to find CZ 457 synthetic Americans or Jaguars for at/under $450. From there you can resell the takeoff barrel and stock for $200-$250 ish and put the savings towards the stock and barrel you really want.
I only want to ditch the stock. I don't see a need to ditch a factory CZ barrel. But, considering CZ doesn't make exactly what I want, maybe I do need to look at aftermarket barrels and just grab an American....

Based on my somewhat limited experience with CZ's hammer forged bbls (2 out of 3 didn't shoot good at all), and from all the posts I've read here & on other forums where guys are replacing OEMs with custom barrels, it's kinda surprising to hear someone talking about "how good CZ barrels shoot". I always wondered if I was just unlucky with the lemons I had on my 457 American & VPT rifles, while the Match-marked one that came on the Varmint MTR was a pretty fair shooter right out of the box? I liked the 457 actions enough to put the time & $$$ into re-barreling them with Shilen ratchet blanks, but after doing that, the MTR's OEM bbl was a bit of a disappointment, so I wound up selling that rifle and keeping the other two with their Shilens.

Reactions: Mark_Dorman
That's a very fair point. There is a bit of a "Barrel Lottery" when it comes to CZ. While I've heard very few people say they've gotten bad MTR barrels, I have heard it happen. The regular barrels are hit or miss (though the misses seem less common based on forum feedback I've seen). I think if I were to build a CZ though I'd go straight into an aftermarket barrel and just buy the cheapest action I could find.

My 457 MTR started off being pretty good but not competition level with groups around 4xx. That was out of the box. Getting the trigger down to 7 oz helped a lot but groups were still high 3’s. Then i pillar bedded it. The groups came down to 2’s with the best 5 shot group .197. That puts in where my rebarreled Anschutz 54 match shots. All these numbers are at 50 yards.

I want to keep this an ARA qualified factory class. I did this with bipod and a cheap rear sandbag. I realized in my last session that my set up was the limiting factor so i have a new set of bags coming for my Sinclair front rest.

I am really happy with its performance and it really shows how good they really are capable of performing. Maybe i am a lottery winner but…

David

Reactions: lash
IDK, I don't buy into the lottery thing. I've owned nine CZ 457's to date and still keep five. Some shot better than others but every one of them would shoot MOA out to 100 with the right ammo and conditions. On days they wouldn't, it wasn't the barrel, it was me. Yes, I've changed out the factory barrels with IBI, Lilja and (most recently) EABCO barrels on a few of them but that was largely to my quest for 1/2 MOA and the ease in which my tinkering itch can be scratched. IMHO, I think people are quick to blame the barrel on a CZ because a) they are so easy to change out and b) they feel they may be missing out. I'd argue that in many cases, better ammo and more practice would be a truer path to better performance than a barrel swap. ( That goes for myself too)

My 457 MTR started off being pretty good but not competition level with groups around 4xx. That was out of the box. Getting the trigger down to 7 oz helped a lot but groups were still high 3’s. Then i pillar bedded it. The groups came down to 2’s with the best 5 shot group .197. That puts in where my rebarreled Anschutz 54 match shots. All these numbers are at 50 yards.

I want to keep this an ARA qualified factory class. I did this with bipod and a cheap rear sandbag. I realized in my last session that my set up was the limiting factor so i have a new set of bags coming for my Sinclair front rest.

I am really happy with its performance and it really shows how good they really are capable of performing. Maybe i am a lottery winner but…

David
I think that I’m going to pillar bed my MTR. Thanks for the inspiration. Not because mine doesn’t shoot well, because it does, but just because, why not? More consistent action torque.
IDK, I don't buy into the lottery thing. I've owned nine CZ 457's to date and still keep five. Some shot better than others but every one of them would shoot MOA out to 100 with the right ammo and conditions. On days they wouldn't, it wasn't the barrel, it was me. Yes, I've changed out the factory barrels with IBI, Lilja and (most recently) EABCO barrels on a few of them but that was largely to my quest for 1/2 MOA and the ease in which my tinkering itch can be scratched. IMHO, I think people are quick to blame the barrel on a CZ because a) they are so easy to change out and b) they feel they may be missing out. I'd argue that in many cases, better ammo and more practice would be a truer path to better performance than a barrel swap. ( That goes for myself too)
Agreed.

Though admittedly, I’m not using mine for BR comps or tiny groups.

David
I’ve had two Varmint MTRs. Both were good enough for middle of the pack. My 457 VPC and VPT MTR both can win. My 452 American has shot 2500’s, but not won.

It’s just coincidence that both my Varmint MTR’s weren’t above average shooters. It’s a barrel lottery whatever model we’re talking. I do know of a few very good shooting Varmint MTR’s on the line.

I think that I’m going to pillar bed my MTR. Thanks for the inspiration. Not because mine doesn’t shoot well, because it does, but just because, why not? More consistent action torque.

Agreed.

Though admittedly, I’m not using mine for BR comps or tiny groups.
Curious, you don't think the pillars already installed at the factory are doing their job or are you looking to apply more torque than the factory recommends?

Curious, you don't think the pillars already installed at the factory are doing their job or are you looking to apply more torque than the factory recommends?

No I don’t if you are try to isolate the action from any wood expansion and contraction. When i got my rifle the action screws were not tight. So i torqued them to 25 in-lbs. when i was doing some work i needed to pull the action and when i did i saw that the action had left an impression in those pillars. They are soft.

David

Reactions: lash
See above this post or below quoted comment.
No I don’t if you are try to isolate the action from any wood expansion and contraction. When i got my rifle the action screws were not tight. So i torqued them to 25 in-lbs. when i was doing some work i needed to pull the action and when i did i saw that the action had left an impression in those pillars. They are soft.

David
This.

Realized I shared this on RFC but not here. I don’t know who all has seen this yet, but I stumbled across it last month and thought I’d share. Manners recently announced they’ll be offering a version of their TCS (Tunable Competition Stock) for the CZ 457 this year (2024). It's basically the CZ 457 Varmint Precision Trainer MTR stock with an adjustable butt pad but available without buying the complete rifle from CZ.

They said it’ll start at $924 + shipping but will probably have some add-ons like their other stock as well as finish options. I recently spoke with them about adding the Sikes Clutch Knob rail to mine and they offer it for $65 installed (shipping round trip is about $60) so this might be an option when ordering a new one. Price does not include the rail.

1707149329924.png

1707149344092.png

1707149349526.png

Features they mentioned in their Instagram Post:
  • New 2 way adjustable buttpad! This stock has rear hardware that allows adjustment in both length of pull and up/down movement letting you dial it in exactly the way you want it!
  • Adjustable comb. Using the same proven design of the LRH we incorporated a lightweight yet adjustable comb to achieve a perfect comb height!
  • Arca Ready. The stock comes with internal hardware to mount the popular MCS/Area419 weight tunable Arca rail!
  • Molded in texture. This stock comes with palm swell texturing allowing you the perfect purchase on the stock.
  • Full wrap around shell. The stock will be incredibly light, stiff, and hold up to whatever you throw at it. This feature really helps lock in the rear hardware and allows for a molded in bolt notch so that no strength is compromised.

YouTube Video on it:

So I mentioned that I had bedded my 457 MTR and it has improved my groups quite nicely. I had written this up in several emails to a friend of mine as I was going though process so he could do it. I thought I would put this out in case somebody thought they wanted to do it. I have done lots of Remington 700's over the last 10 years and I have to say they are a lot easier. Just up front, I didn't get the rear pillar long enough so it was not floating in a sheath of epoxy but it was easy to fix.

I guess from start to finish it might take a week from start to finish. I didn't have the pillars when I started (lost in the mail)so it drug out for a few weeks but it was so cold I wasn't wanting to shoot rimfire.

If I can answer any questions feel free to ask

Enjoy

Attachments

• Bedding the CZ 457.pdf
    6.7 MB · Views: 155