• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

CZ 457 - Area 419 Rail 30 MOA - Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 and Vortex Low (0.87”) Rings - AM I GOOD?​

Pick up the CZ 457 tomorrow and have the rings and scope on hand. Won’t have the rail for a few days…. Anyone know if I’m going to have clearance issues?
You shouldn’t have a problem at all. If anything, you’ll find that the scope sets higher than your cell rest. The Area 419 rail sets pretty high.

I've got the 419 30moa rail on mine with the lowest 34mm burris rings and its still a tad higher than I like. I think they're at an inch. Just sold the at-one it come with and will have a chassis on it soon. Hopefully with a little more cheek adjustment.

Reactions: USMC22
Update on my 2 week old MTR.
I was invited to shoot a 50y fun match last Saturday.
I’ve never shot a Benchrest match before let alone a rimfire Benchrest
There are 2 classes -10.5 lb and +10.5 lb
That’s rifle with everything on it except a magazine.
My MTR weighed in at 9 lbs 15.5oz bipod included.
Myself and 2 others shooting Savages were in the -10.5 lb class.
In the +10.5 there were 9 Annie’s and 2 RimX
We were 14 shooters in all.
I finished in 7th overall winning the -10.5 lb category. I finished ahead of 3 Annie’s and both RimX.
989A69FD-59D2-42EE-95EC-CCBFDDD1AD7C.jpeg

458291A5-3C8A-453C-B4D9-8270C54DF807.jpeg

A8E3BE62-2CED-4C02-98C6-40AD63865AEA.jpeg

EF4C9B9E-91D8-47C3-87E4-522A508F728D.jpeg

977115C7-FAF0-4B72-BBEF-1C8107CADF52.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m going to put my 457 in a chassis. But is it worth spending the money for a chassis like the ACC or should I look at something else.

Will be shooting NRL22/X

I like the looks of the acc but would love to find a used beat up one. Might make the wife a little happier.

Thanks.

I’m going to put my 457 in a chassis. But is it worth spending the money for a chassis like the ACC or should I look at something else.

Will be shooting NRL22/X

I like the looks of the acc but would love to find a used beat up one. Might make the wife a little happier.

Thanks.
The ACC is a nice chassis. Good luck finding one used for your CZ. 👍🏻

I've got a CZ 457 Varmint Precision Trainer MTR that I picked up in the spring that I haven't purchased a scope for yet. I know that there is a optics forum, but since this gun series has such a following, I thought it better to post in this thread. I'm looking for recommendations or guidance on scope and mount. Right now this is just a range toy, but I could see getting into matches once I have more time in a few years.

Not looking for budget options, but also not looking for a 5k Nightforce offering. After some research, my initial inclination was to look at the Burris XTR III illuminated or Pro series. Even if I decided on one of those, they're each offered in at least three different reticles, which is probably where I need the most help. So I'm asking the hive for recommendations on scope, reticle, and mount. Links to recommended sites to purchase wouldn't hurt either. :)

Thanks!

I've got a CZ 457 Varmint Precision Trainer MTR that I picked up in the spring that I haven't purchased a scope for yet. I know that there is a optics forum, but since this gun series has such a following, I thought it better to post in this thread. I'm looking for recommendations or guidance on scope and mount. Right now this is just a range toy, but I could see getting into matches once I have more time in a few years.

Not looking for budget options, but also not looking for a 5k Nightforce offering. After some research, my initial inclination was to look at the Burris XTR III illuminated or Pro series. Even if I decided on one of those, they're each offered in at least three different reticles, which is probably where I need the most help. So I'm asking the hive for recommendations on scope, reticle, and mount. Links to recommended sites to purchase wouldn't hurt either. :)

Thanks!
That’s such a loaded question. In reality, reticles are a a personal interface to your rifle like the ergonomics and trigger feel. What works perfect for an individual may be awful for another.

Go to a Scheel’s, gun show, or similar where you can hands on look through scopes and get a feel for which you prefer. I would only suggest 5-25x and MRAD. Mostly you’ll be at 12-15 maybe even 18x.

I’m trying to go common reticle on my scopes but can’t afford it in every rifle I own.

Reactions: obx22 and lash
Hey friends, I just installed my cz457 in a MDT ACC chassis and i have the anarchy outdoors extended mag release. However it is not near long enough. Are there any other options to make the mag release lever easier to get to?

thanks

I think DIP or area 419 make an extended release too. I know one of the 3 is supposed to be longer.

Hey friends, I just installed my cz457 in a MDT ACC chassis and i have the anarchy outdoors extended mag release. However it is not near long enough. Are there any other options to make the mag release lever easier to get to?

thanks
I bought the DIP extended release and they were only about 1/8" longer but it makes a big difference in finding it.

Before I remove the scope, rings and base I will shoot a box of each of these. It's the variety on hand so it will do to get a better idea and hopefully eliminate others. If any of these particular type brings the groups back together, I think it maybe ammo related. I's a slow process as I only have one day a month to take a range trip.

regards,
I ended up with removing all the optics kit, base rings and set aside the scope. Checked each piece and set it all back. Bore sighted as before and headed to range. Wing was pushing 5 mph with a frequents gusts that took some targets off the posts.
Shot SK rifle match and it took about 15 shots to zero at 25 yrs. Had to dial the scoped past the point I believe it should have needed to go and then come back to the zero. Think of it as a worn out hotel shower handle. You have to go past the perfect temp. and come back to it.
Set out at 50 yrs and this is the best I was able to get. Wind was a factor, though not sure how much.
Contacted Vortex and they agreed to check out the scope. It's a Venom and has shot quite well before, as did the entire setup. If it is the scope, I know they will fix it.

ps, left the selection of ammo to test at home, that's why I shot only the SK rifle match.
regards,

Attachments

• Getting better.jpg
    Getting better.jpg
    618.5 KB · Views: 126
Reactions: Thump_rrr

thanks
DIP is very short. Anarchy Outdoors has 2 different models. One with the paddle (now aluminum) and one without. the one with the paddle is the longest I've seen for these. non of the others are as long. I though MDT has a magwell insert, maybe ask them if they have an extended mag release for use in their chassis.

Reactions: WeeHooker
I'm very happy with my CZ 457 Pro Varmint. First time I actually measured groups(normally just plinking). Ammo is Wolf Match, but also had the same stamp as SK I was also using. I didn't measure the SK groups because it was me just drilling 20rds into a single target fairly quickly.

Only thing added is Harris bipod, Bradley cheek rest, Area 419 50MOA rail/ARC rings/Athlon Midas TAC. 50yd zero.

100yds indoor shooting kind of fast. Any other ammo suggestions?

Attachments

• 1669609413242.png
    1669609413242.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 76
I'm very happy with my CZ 457 Pro Varmint. First time I actually measured groups(normally just plinking). Ammo is Wolf Match, but also had the same stamp as SK I was also using. I didn't measure the SK groups because it was me just drilling 20rds into a single target fairly quickly.

Only thing added is Harris bipod, Bradley cheek rest, Area 419 50MOA rail/ARC rings/Athlon Midas TAC. 50yd zero.

100yds indoor shooting kind of fast. Any other ammo suggestions?
First off, All Wolf, SK, and Eley, along with others have that same head stamp, so that means nothing other than who manufactures it.

Which SK were you using and have you tried shooting a group with it? Have you considered slowing down just a bit and making sure that each shot has the same POA and trigger pull? Just flinging them down in a hurry is fun, but rarely tells you anything about what results you can expect to achieve for accuracy and repeatability.

The SK Rifle Match is a decent mid grade ammo, but then you’ll need to step up to higher grades if you feel you need an improvement. Like Center X and the like. Then you’ll find that there are variations in lot numbers of the same ammo type.

ETA: also 1” at 100 yards for ten shots is not bad at all for .22LR.

Cz457 Pro Varmint, factory barrel, KRG bravo stock, Yo Dave spring, bolt shim, BScar 20 MOA rail, Athlon Argos BTR, Weaver 30mm medium rings, Monstrum scope covers, Hub City data card holder, Area 419 bolt handle, ETS tuner, Atlas CAL. Shooting Lapua testing center tested Center X.

1. ARA factory target @ 50 yds (I realize that my stock invalidates)
2. 5 shot groups X2 @ 50yds
3. Current set-up

Loving it.
CB46A493-B4FF-4BF4-A12F-1E28DB11CC1C.jpeg
4CB19CF7-9C27-4833-AE76-09BAB4BFEAC1.jpeg
4E15096C-C356-4645-8279-2EFA1FDE2BE3.jpeg

just got my 457 in the Boyd's AT-one
dropping ring height tomorrow, but may still need a little more cheek-weld elevation help

has anyone used either :
1) the very nice looking Velcro one from wield? and if so which one, (since they don't make on exactly for this stop?
how'd it fit? picture?
or
2) the adhesive one from hoptic? and again, which one? or just the generic one and trim to fit?
anyone ever try to remove an adhesive one/ are we talking permanent residue???

just got my 457 in the Boyd's AT-one
dropping ring height tomorrow, but may still need a little more cheek-weld elevation help

has anyone used either :
1) the very nice looking Velcro one from wield? and if so which one, (since they don't make on exactly for this stop?
how'd it fit? picture?
or
2) the adhesive one from hoptic? and again, which one? or just the generic one and trim to fit?
anyone ever try to remove an adhesive one/ are we talking permanent residue???
If your going to run the cheek riser ( or butt pad) out near it's limits, you'll find that the adjustment gets wobbly. You're going to want to stack some hard rubber 0-rings on the rods to stabilize them. As for adding a pad, I've been using the anarchy outdoors brand on my Bergara and CZ's. Quality is good but they are only 1/8" thick. Last I looked, they had a cut your own generic option.

If your going to run the cheek riser ( or butt pad) out near it's limits, you'll find that the adjustment gets wobbly. You're going to want to stack some hard rubber 0-rings on the rods to stabilize them. As for adding a pad, I've been using the anarchy outdoors brand on my Bergara and CZ's. Quality is good but they are only 1/8" thick. Last I looked, they had a cut your own generic option.
Pic of your o-ring mod?
What size?

Pic of your o-ring mod?
What size?
I have not installed the O ring fix for my own At-One as I'm not a tall guy so didn't need to extend the adjustments but a little. My cheek and butt extensions are as solid as a rock. I mentioned this because slop in the At-One extensions is a common gripe among owners that set them way out. As said, it's only really "needed" if you need allot of extension and have wobble in those pieces. I do know several others that use this method on the AT-ONE on another site though. You'll want both 1/4" ID and 3/8" ID O-rings to fit the rods on the AT One. ( OD and thickness aren't real important but bigger is better.) These are available all over Ebay and /or Amazon pretty cheap. Get a bag of 50 min. You basically just stack them on until you set the proper height.
FWIW, here is a picture of the O-ring set-up on my Bergara B14R. I use it there primarily because the cheek piece needs to come out every time I pull the bolt. The O-rings, besides adding extra stability, bring the cheek riser height back to the same height every time . Works VERY well and is completely adjustable/reversible.

Attachments

• 20221130_104447.jpg
    20221130_104447.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Reactions: WileyG and lash
Hi Guys
I keep seeing reference to 2 action screws and a tang screw?
My 457 only has 2 screws, it's a LRP.
Are there different 457 actions?
The manual only shows 2?

Are those references to 3 screws made specifically regarding the 457, because there are only two screws on that action. Now, people with vudu or Rim-x will have the three screws as in any centerfire short action.

Hi Guys
I keep seeing reference to 2 action screws and a tang screw?
My 457 only has 2 screws, it's a LRP.
Are there different 457 actions?
The manual only shows 2?
All 457 actions are identical regardless of model. All use only two action screws. If there are three screws, it's not a 457. Earlier model CZ rimfires ( i.e 452, 453 and 455) did have a 3rd (wood) screw holding down one end of the trigger guard but it was not an action screw..

Last edited:
@yotesniper66 i mounted my Bscar 25 moa today and took my 419 off. Bill has an "extra height" 25MOA if you email him, and it worked perfectly with my .87" Vortex low rings. that's a midas tac 4-16x44 objective for reference. the extra height rail is only 1/16" higher than the standard height rail, so my cheek riser made that a moot point. The bolt clearance is about 1/8" under the rear ring, so the extra height might be a safe bet regardless. here are some pics with the new cheek riser and new 25moa bscar rail. if anyone wants my 419 30MOA rail, DM me -$70 shipped. used 2 weeks, perfect.View attachment 7040346View attachment 7040347View attachment 7040348
That looks Amazing,

Thanks for choosing our Cheek Riser for your CZ rifle, we greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Matthew
#MatthewsFabrication
#CheekRest #CheekRiser

I purchased the magwell and extended mag release. Anyone know if I need to loosen the rear tang screw when removing the barreled action and re-install per KRG instructions?

I purchased the magwell and extended mag release. Anyone know if I need to loosen the rear tang screw when removing the barreled action and re-install per KRG instructions?
Not sure if it's required but I've found that screw is the key to properly fitting and functioning mags across several KRG chassis. I certainly won't hurt.

Reactions: SoftCookie
90C3F92A-7B09-41F0-A5F3-753DFE5FC5EE.jpeg

Just received the Manners stock from J_D today and put this together. Cz 457, Thunderbeast take down .22 and bipod, gen 2 Razor in ARC rings, Area 419 30 moa base, arca rail and bolt knob.

Attachments

• B3C659EB-A0BF-406E-AB1A-F82EE5F840F9.jpeg
    B3C659EB-A0BF-406E-AB1A-F82EE5F840F9.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 133
Doesn't hurt but I didn't find it necessary since the mag well opening is cavernous . I did end up opting for a aftermarket mag well on mine though. It aided in loading quite a bit,

Just picked up aa 457 pro varmint. Anyone know where I can pick up some 10 rd mags? Shooting my 1st match next weekend. Practicing with 5 rd mags is getting old. TIA

Reactions: WileyG and mulish
i need a scars 457 trigger ,anyone have one to sell
Jim,
I don’t think that Bill has sold much more than 100 of them. I have one and have had another one that went with a rifle I sold. I hope you find one. I’m assuming you’re on the list?

@jim p might want to reread the rules. Wtb posts not allowed outside the PX. To post in the PX need to be a Supporter. Might be a good idea to edit your post.

Reactions: lash
Been going down the rabbit hole... I dont understand which 457 varient is the "best" choice. I'm sure the answer will lean towards "it depends" but arguably for someone just getting into it but likes to have good equipment to learn with where would you start.

Initially I was leaning varmint mtr but is the precision chassis mtr worth the upgrade? And why is the VPT, both mtr and not, so much more $???
I'm so confused

Thanks!

Been going down the rabbit hole... I dont understand which 457 varient is the "best" choice. I'm sure the answer will lean towards "it depends" but arguably for someone just getting into it but likes to have good equipment to learn with where would you start.

Initially I was leaning varmint mtr but is the precision chassis mtr worth the upgrade? And why is the VPT, both mtr and not, so much more $???
I'm so confused

Thanks!
Most if the variants are just bullshit imho, id just buy the cheapest one and then put the chassis you want on it later

My 1st 457 was an American, purchased in 2017, because I'd always liked the 452 American, and really liked the classy-looking 457 sporter stock. Though I wanted a Varmint MTR, they just trickled into the country, a few at a time, and it took me several months of looking before I finally snagged one. The American's bbl gave lousy accuracy, and I wound up buying a Shilen select match ratchet blank and doing some machine contour work on it, then opening the stock's bbl channel a tad bit to get it to fit. Chambered it with my EPS reamer, glued it into the action, and it shoots a fair bit better & more consistently than the MTR I was finally able to buy.

I have several rifles in Manners PRS1T stocks, and thought it'd be great to have a lighter 457 in one, so bought a 24" VPT, but got another lemon bbl with accuracy issues. Bought another Shilen blank, this time going with a straight .863" dia that was a good fit in the Manners' bbl channel. It got the same EPS chamber, and was glued in, just as I'd done on the American. I've seen a lot of nice groups out of various versions of the 457s posted here & over on RFC, and the MTR I had was no slouch for a factory rifle, but the fact remains that 2 out of the 3 457s I bought were not good shooters. If I hadn't liked the 457 actions so much, with their 100% reliable function and the easily adjusted triggers, I'd never have spent the time nor money to re-barrel them. But after doing the bbl work and being very satisfied with the results, I've got the two 457s that suit my needs.

Just wanted to pass along my first magwell failure out of over 7 CZ457's I've owned. Was out shooting the 500yd targets and noticed my mags weren't staying put. The plastic magwell cracked near the release lever.

I've heard of these failures but never seen one. I ordered 3 aluminum ones from DIP last night to replace my 3 current ones. Good thing this didn't happen during a match.

Just wanted to pass along my first magwell failure out of over 7 CZ457's I've owned. Was out shooting the 500yd targets and noticed my mags weren't staying put. The plastic magwell cracked near the release lever.

I've heard of these failures but never seen one. I ordered 3 aluminum ones from DIP last night to replace my 3 current ones. Good thing this didn't happen during a match.
Keep us posted on what you think about the aluminum magwell and how the mags fit it. I’ve been thinking about doing the same thing but hear the mags fit really tight as opposed to the plastic one. I definitely don’t want it happening in a match but don’t want to fight loading mags either.

Reactions: lash and mulish
It's crazy that there are no magazines available, and even more that no one makes a 15rd mag for the 457.

It's crazy that there are no magazines available, and even more that no one makes a 15rd mag for the 457.
I agree with both sentiments. I had to get the mag extensions from Anarchy Outdoors so that I could load 12 rounds. They seem to work well.
Extra mags are unicorns.

I had no problem finding 10 round mags last summer. Wish I had stocked up. Surely another run is coming.