• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

D.S. Arms- Any experience??

Sean1791

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2009
Washington
As the topic says, i was watching a television show today about D.S Arms FAL series of rifles. They look amazing, and i would love to hear any input anyone has about them? I have never handled them so any feedback is much appreciated.

Here's a link to their website for anyone that cant resist...:)
http://www.dsarms.com/

Thanks

Re: D.S. Arms- Any experience??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scrambler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As the topic says, i was watching a television show today about D.S Arms FAL series of rifles. They look amazing, and i would love to hear any input anyone has about them? I have never handled them so any feedback is much appreciated.

Here's a link to their website for anyone that cant resist...:)
http://www.dsarms.com/

Thanks </div></div>

A friend of mine in the military has nothing but very high praise for one. In fact, he wishes that he could use it rather than the M4 (he has nothing but pretty high contempt for both the design and .223 as a battle round).

I've shot a FAL before, granted one made in 1949 or 1950 by FN, but I thought it was heavy. Really heavy.

Apparently it's durable and accurate (for a battle rifle). It definitely has a time-tested design.

Thanks, praise from military personnel is a very good thing. The FAL's design is very old, but very durable. I really like how they have reduced the weight of the new FAL's compared to the older ones, because as you say they were very heavy.

Thanks

rumor had it that CAG was using DS Arms SBR FALs during their operations in Iraq in 03 because of the heavier bullet. I have no first hand knowledge of this, I just heard it in the chow hall, and never bothered to go confirm it in the shitter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 18Echo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rumor had it that CAG was using DS Arms SBR FALs during their operations in Iraq in 03 because of the heavier bullet. I have no first hand knowledge of this, I just heard it in the chow hall, and never bothered to go confirm it in the shitter. </div></div>

CAG?

Can you translate for those of us not fluent in US Military English?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scrambler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, praise from military personnel is a very good thing. The FAL's design is very old, but very durable. I really like how they have reduced the weight of the new FAL's compared to the older ones, because as you say they were very heavy.

Thanks </div></div>

I wasn't aware that design changes had been made to reduce weight, though I shouldn't be surprised that someone had the good sense to update a very good rifle design with modern materials. If this is so, I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

My only hesitation, besides the relatively high price tag to get in the door, has been the weight. The one that I shot was a tank that weighed a ton, perhaps as much as 25 or 30 pounds in the configuration it was in.

Yea i swear i heard the guy say on the show today that they had been trying to reduce the overall weight of the weapon to allow it to be carried easier over distance. I will look into it and see if i can find anything on it.

Overall i think they have a great design, i would love to see a comparison between say a DPMS or any other .308 semi-auto rifle compared to the D.S arms rifles.

Actually after just researching a little more i found this article about the specs on it.

http://www.dsarms.com/pdf/DSArmsSA58.pdf
Top of the 4th page it states it overall weight at 8.5 lbs. and that is the SA58 Tactical Carbine which has a 16.25" barrel, compared to their SA58 OCW which has a 11" or 13" barrel.

My military friend said that he has seen barrel life/accuracy "studies" (I'm not sure if they were some sort of official thing or what) that showed the barrel life to be much better in the DSA FAL than other, similar battle rifles.

No idea how much stock I would put in that little story though.

I do know that he takes his guns seriously, and that he wishes from the bottom of his heart that he could use a DSA FAL over the M4. More put-down power, higher reliability and built like a tank.

If the weight has successfully been reduced by a pretty significant margin, they will have a very good battle rifle.

If I had the funds and the permission I would seriously consider getting one.

They have a pretty good reputation over on The FAL Files. Don't misunderstand, they produce a turd every once in a while, just like everyone else. They do tend to make it right, which not everyone else does.

If I wanted a new FAL with a warranty, I would definitely go to DSA.

dont have any experience with their FAL's but i do have one of their 16" AR uppers. functions flawlessly, very accurate. and they are pretty good to deal with as well.

Ive had my DS Arms SA58 Tactical for close to 2 years now. With an Aimpoint Comp M2 and a Surefire G2. I have nothing but praise for the platform, its quality and DSA's customer service.

Its a very tight rifle and required a couple hundred rounds to break in and function 100%, but the adjustable gas system is very nice for that.

Its served me well, has killed multiple hogs and quite a few other woodland critters.

I had a spring break in the gas system after about 6 months for ownership, wrote an email to DSA and had a new one sent free of charge that day. A definate buy in my book.

Ya cant go wrong with DSA.

Had a tour of the shop about 2 yrs. ago and the place is impressive. After the tour I got to walk around the gun cage and handle different styles of FALS and picked out every feature I wanted and they put it all together for me. Pretty much a custom rifle.

I went with:

- SAW grip
- Stainless Steel lower
- Speed trigger
- Para style rear
- Picatinny scope mount
- 17in. med. contour barrel
- YHM flash hider
- Robar'd all internals

Great guys who build an incredible battle rifle

I bought a STG58 kit from them many years ago, except for the receiver it had all DSA parts in it, I wish I'd kept that weapon.

I used to have a DSArms SA58 Tactical 7 years ago. The thing was accurate with Fed Gold Metal 155's (less than MOA at 100). I wish I still had it - great gun.

Sweet sounds like a very good rifle, built by a very good company. I will definitely have to seriously think about this one...

Thanks

Were you watching Shooting Gallery? I was laughing at Mr Bain stroking the guns as he was talking to the guy from DSA. I always like the collector series because of the wood.

I love mine.

P1040962Large.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 18Echo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rumor had it that CAG was using DS Arms SBR FALs during their operations in Iraq in 03 because of the heavier bullet. I have no first hand knowledge of this, I just heard it in the chow hall, and never bothered to go confirm it in the shitter. </div></div>

CAG?

Can you translate for those of us not fluent in US Military English? </div></div>

Combat Application Group. Most people know them as Delta Force or SFOD-D.

Sweeet! Makes me want one even more. Very nice looking FAL's guys. @Nut Job I think it was shooting gallery i saw it on lol. I was watching it and drooling over the FAL's. Now i need to decide if i want to break the bank or not lol. i think a SA58 paratactical with a Aimpoint T1 or Comp ML3 and foregrip would be pretty nice... and to top it off put it all in a tiger stripe paint job.
smile.gif

I have had mine for two years and it is a great rifle. I use it for heavy metal in 3 gun. Tags a 8in plate at 285y. no problem. Good luck
PS get a Hampton lower.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 18Echo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rumor had it that CAG was using DS Arms SBR FALs during their operations in Iraq in 03 because of the heavier bullet. I have no first hand knowledge of this, I just heard it in the chow hall, and never bothered to go confirm it in the shitter. </div></div>

DSARMS is a pretty good builder. They take their time to get it right.

I've tested 147, 150, 165 & 180 gr on my 2 OSW SBRs.
I found that 150 gr gives me tighter groups, more consistent velocity and more efficient burning.
The pic shows 5 results but I actually shot strings of 10.
IMG_1219.jpg

This is an <span style="font-weight: bold">11" barrel OSW </span>with an optical co-witness setup.
It averaged over 2400 fps with this load.
I also tested in parallel with a 7.62 16" ak and 7.62 krinkov
just for the thrill of it. The 16" AK came close but lag behind
100 fps more or less.

IMG_1222.jpg

MOS11C expand on the co-witness brother. I had long thought about doing this and wondered how it would work out. Is it lower 1/3? Any issues or oddities?

I too am interested in the iron sight co-witness. Ive had the useless irons on mine ever since I put the Comp ML2 on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MOS11C expand on the co-witness brother. I had long thought about doing this and wondered how it would work out. Is it lower 1/3? Any issues or oddities? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheCrippler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too am interested in the iron sight co-witness. Ive had the useless irons on mine ever since I put the Comp ML2 on it. </div></div>

My CL3 dealer ordered 3 guns. 1 for him and 2 for me. I had to follow it up with DSARMS as they have their own standard built. My dealer didn't even know that his gun was gonna be built without the co-witness feature. After my insistance all 3 guns were built with it. the key are the first 2 ingredients.

the ingredients are:
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">railed lower, picatinny gas block</span>,</span> flip-up front & rear sights, aimpoint, ARMS m68, ARMS 17, ARMS 1/2" block.

hard to get clear pics and they're deceiving as when you aligned front and rear sight there is still the bottom half of the front sight post visible. the aimpoint is very generous when clearing the iron sights. the first pic is not a good representation.

IMG_1738.jpg

IMG_1739.jpg

I've been shooting FAL's for years and enjoying DSA's products since just about the time Dave Selvaggio started selling them. DSA makes great weapons and parts. I've owned a number of FAL's built on DSA receivers. They do make a fine FAL, but don't overlook one built by a competent 'smith or (my personal fave) the SAR48 or 4800 built by Imbel of Brazil (a licensed manufacturer of the FAL) and imported by Springfield Armory. No longer importable, but there are plenty out there used.

I've never seen a 30lb FAL, most full size (21"bbl full stock versions) weigh in a little over 9lbs empty. The Israeli FALO version (heavy bbl w/ HUGE freakin' bipod) I used to own wasn't even that heavy.

Great rifles..

Lots of info on the platform at http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php

edit to add: check out the "Tale of 'Ol Dirty" http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68486

A built FAL with 15,000 (That's right fifteen THOUSAND rounds) of surplus 7.62 ammo down the pipe with NO cleaning over 5 years+. A true testament to the robust nature of the FAL. I doubt an DPMS SASS or M1A could do that... but at current ammo prices I don't know that anyone would invest 8-10K to try and find out! LOL!

-DK, yes I'd read about the ol'dirty. It's very fun and very impressive at the same time.
I love my FAL DS Arms build on STG58 kit. It's very accurate with iron sight all the way to 500 yards with surplus ammo. This is my SHTF rifle and the 1911.

Sounds like DS arms are an extremely reliable platform. Do you guys think it would be worth selling a RRA national match .223 for a SA58 para-tactical?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scrambler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like DS arms are an extremely reliable platform. Do you guys think it would be worth selling a RRA national match .223 for a SA58 para-tactical? </div></div>

Yes. I would call going from an RRA AR15 to a DS Arms FAL an upgrade any day. I'm assuming your RRA isn't for "work" or competition, why not go with something that's more fun and a little different.

That is exactly how i feel. How much do you think i could get for the RRA? Ive put maybe 350 rounds down the tube maybe less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: -DK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been shooting FAL's for years and enjoying DSA's products since just about the time Dave Selvaggio started selling them. DSA makes great weapons and parts. I've owned a number of FAL's built on DSA receivers. They do make a fine FAL, but don't overlook one built by a competent 'smith or (my personal fave) the SAR48 or 4800 built by Imbel of Brazil (a licensed manufacturer of the FAL) and imported by Springfield Armory. No longer importable, but there are plenty out there used.

I've never seen a 30lb FAL, most full size (21"bbl full stock versions) weigh in a little over 9lbs empty. The Israeli FALO version (heavy bbl w/ HUGE freakin' bipod) I used to own wasn't even that heavy.

Great rifles..

Lots of info on the platform at http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php

edit to add: check out the "Tale of 'Ol Dirty" http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68486

A built FAL with 15,000 (That's right fifteen THOUSAND rounds) of surplus 7.62 ammo down the pipe with NO cleaning over 5 years+. A true testament to the robust nature of the FAL. I doubt an DPMS SASS or M1A could do that... but at current ammo prices I don't know that anyone would invest 8-10K to try and find out! LOL! </div></div>

I have. It was a long barrel version made in either 49 or 50 by FN. It also had a chunky stock, a metal bipod and some sort of light enhancing 2x scope (a precursor to NV I think). Everything was old and built like a tank. Altogether I couldn't hold it up offhand for more than a couple of seconds, and I couldn't dream of holding it on target offhand. It was a "hip fire" or prone only weapon.