• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision D740, 4x range time

5spd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
My new 4x D740, 3rd gen @ 100yds. Mounted on my 6x45 Savage w/EGW 20moa 1pc picatinny rail mount. 65g vmax load.
Shooting about 530-630pm.
Front cap closed naturally, using the pinhole to get it where I want it out to 200yds.
Now you cannot see heck w/it during the day pretty much. All I could see was a black dot on white paper and out of focus.
When you get it focused at night, leave it & dont turn it for day shooting.
I realize the focus is also usless during the day. There is zero change from 100-400yds in which I was shooting this eve.
I can see everything, just in greenish highlights from rocks, clays etc & those look whiteish.
At night its where it supposed to be w/the cap open, focus is very sharp.
As you can see on my target I have 6 shots & each 2 shots before I dialed my knob are from .250"-.300". I cant complain about that w/hardly seeing the target & it being fuzzy and greenwashed.
Dead on at 100-200yds & if I put the crosshair on top of the 400 yard steel I can thwomp that everytime although Im not going to pop out to 400yds at night.
The centerline of the bore to the center of the front objective is 3.140".
The center of the eyepiece to the top of my stock is 4.400"
I am using a raised padded cheekrest on the rear to keep my eyes inline.
D740NVscope0012.jpg

Last edited:
You can get a whole can of them for $1 at the dollar store. I use two and staple them on top of a shoot-n-c target, in the form of a cross, on a plywood backstop.

Dropped my 1st coyote using the D740 NV scope at 105 yds. Female w/mange. Then the storm hit in NE, pouring rains, 25 mph winds...gave it up after that.
The place was running with GIANT jackrabbits, and I though everyone was a coyote due to thier size, till they moved.
This female popped up out of the tall grasses & sat facing me at 80yds & looking at it I thought rabbit, but held onto it till I saw it turn....shoot coyote & put the cross hair on it and DRT.
It was pretty dark, low rain clouds, low ambiant light, but I still did not need the IR to see it. 65g vmax in my 6x45 Savage build again!
The call was titmouse VERY low.
Saw 11 coyotes on 3 ranches w/the ps32 & ls64 units
Now I need 400 more to feel like Ive broke even w/my NV setup, that will never happen, cost is always going to be ahead!

Hey Man, that's just the first down payment, many many more to come for sure with that equipment!

Thats true like this weekend, took out 3 more.
I shot one at 130 yards Friday night, it spun around and burned out and was biting at its front chest area & I was WTH it should of been DRT.
Well I never sighted it in at night, just that daytime range.
Put a target up at 4am and it was off 4" right and 2" low, so my hold on the shoulder was a hit low and frontal.
So it looks like with the cap closed sighting during daylight DOES NOT get it where it needs to be VS sighting it in at night w/the cover open as you would be hunting.

Last edited: