• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Dad, can I try it?

trilogymac

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2007
TX
My 9yr old and I went to work on our range Sunday. There was a little daylight left so we went to the 500 yard line to shoot a couple of quick groups. I dialed in .5 mil wind and 2.9 come up. My boy shot the following 2ea 5 shot groups back to back with the 6mmAR. 1st time he has shot 500. Needless to say, he made dad proud. Between the 2 groups and the ice cream cone on the way home, you could hardly wipe the smile off his face. Sorry for the phone pics.

6mmAR
Hart 20"
JP Trigger
S&B 10x PMII
Shark

7.5" and 6.25"

2970155190048605402S425x425Q85.jpg

2344906070048605402S425x425Q85.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Trilogymac

Re: Dad, can I try it?

Cool fun isnt it? - just bought my daughters a Savage Cub-T single shot .22 (in pink laminate no less)

Same effect, especially after my oldest(9) shot a penny at 20 yrds with the peep sights. Now I get "Dad when are we going shooting again" every day. Music to my ears. Having another way to teach self confidence, gun safety/proficiency and self reliance to my girls in todays screwed up world - priceless.

Highly recommend the cub-t with thumbhole stock as a youth rifle. Accurate, great peep sight set up included, and the right size/weight for a beginner. Add a sling and you are GTG.

Great times!

I love getting to the range with mine. At 7 he's not quite big enough for the .308. I think he's getting big enough to be able to use the AR.

He loves my Savage .22. He still has to use iron sights on his Cub .22.

john_2958.jpg

Now that school is out we can get to the range more often. I love taking him during the week when no-one is there.

My dad worked nights/weekends nearly all his adult life, so my formal/informal indoc with rifles came at the hands of my Elder Brothers. They started me out at age 8/9-ish maybe. First encounter was with a 12ga sideby, and dammit, wouldnt ya know it, my first discharge was a double. Whammo-mo. Needless to say, I came to rest in a seated position. Wha...?

After that, it was all easier. I knew what recoil was, and how intense it could be, right off the bat; and that lesson was soon behind us.

Once initiated, I got my weekly fix at the local Boys' Club range under the tutelage of the PAL of Newark NJ

High School brought the School's DCM team, and I got my letters on Rifle Team, Cross Country, and JV Football (defensive left tackle). Set a school record for situps (196) for the USMC PRT in Gym Class ibn my Senior Year.

Get those kids out to the range! If they can understand the word 'No' they are old enough, and waiting beyond then is a terrible waste.

Greg

LOL,That's going to turn out to be an expensive mistake for you.But well worth it.He must be a chip off the old block shooting so well!Nice gun and cartridge choice too.

Steve

Don't forget your other son in the great NW.

Hey Dad, can you send me the Fat Lady to shoot for a while?

laugh.gif

Nice pics my friend.

J

Very sweet shooting. Good to see the guys taking time to pass the skills alone.

I really appreciate the comments!!

Superde,
That is the 20" "heavier" gun. Will PM ya on the progress with the LW gun.

Jasonk,
Finally got the new A3 for the fat lady. The colors are GREAT!
Woodland beige, olive and medium tan 33%x3 marble.

Best,
Trilogymac

Great Job!!! I am glad you take your son with you to the range. Many don't want to be bothered with "Kids" while they are trying to shoot.

I got my son intrested in shooting at an early age an he took to it like a duck to water. He now shoots for the Neb. Guard an a few years back won the sniper comps at the Wilson Matches. He also shoots hipower once in awhile.

Unfortunatly he suffered a work accident several months ago where his hands, neck an insides of his knees suffered 3rd degree burns from an electrical explosion. Even though he will be done shooting hipower his driving force was to get better so he would be able to shoot again.

Spend all the time you can with him, you will never regret it. Its the best investment you can make!!!!!

I'm going to say this...

Don't sell him short.

Not once, but three times, I've been told my competitive shooting career was over.

Never believe it.

If there's an eye, a finger, and still a few gray cells firing in unison, there's room for a shooting career. It's just gonna look a bit different.

That's why there's an F Class, for us old crips to still get out and have a good day.

While I didn't say anything about winning, it's clearly still no impossibility.

Whatever it takes, help him; and don' take any "no, I can handle it" BS for an answer. Help him. Do it enough, and he'll actually reach the point where he really can get by without the help, and that's what your combined goal needs to be. Everybody can use a hand sometime...

Greg

Thanks Greg, he will still be able to shoot but probably not hipower. He had grafts on both hands an his left wrist.(The heat melted his wrist watch) also he had grafts on his neck an the inside of both his legs by his knees. (He was kneeling down) There was a small lip about chin high that saved him from loosing his lips, nose an eyes. The blast was deflected by it. He still had spots on his face that were 3rd degree but no grafts were necessay.

We didn't know for 3 days if he would be able to see or not. His head was the size of a black pumpkin an the eyes were just slits.

The problem will be the sling digging into the wrist and the back of his hand an also trying to get into the sitting position with is elbows digging into the grafts. He has lost a lot of flexability in his knees.

They told him it will take a good 18 mos before they know what the extent of his limitations will be. His attitude is, "I won't have any limitations."

After seeing what he went through in the burn unit for 6 weeks he is my new hero. I only wish I had his attitude an was as tough as he is.

I think his approach is exactly right. His rehab will be done when he says it's done, and I don't see him caving in because the going gets rough. If you're gonna be successful, that's the way it's done. When my funded rehab ended, I found a place and a way to continue it on my own.

For the wrist, maybe using a shooting glove that has a long gauntlet can be a useful aid. Using an hand stop, and maybe a guide that elevates the sling off the hand, could also be helpful.

At Whittington they were experimenting with the 'two to a mound' concept, and I was partnered with an elder gentleman who shot Palma with a hook instead of a left forearm and hand.

Awesome. Flatly awesome.

Shooting jackets (I'm talking about the looser, G.P. Maes USMC cotton style ones), feature padded elbows which can blunt their intrusion against the grafts, and action sports knee and elbow pads can improve on all of that even considerably more.

Meanwhile, working the on range of motion limits and keeping the skin/scarring supple using Cocoa Butter preparations will do a lot for getting the burn scarring to be more cooperative.

Not allowing the immobility to force deconditioning, the cardiopulmonary factors need to be addressed before they alter his lifestyle, and doing so will speed and aid his recovery.

That's what's hindering my Wife's recovery, and taking her to Florida for several months this past Winter intercepted the annual Winter deconditioning, and made a huge improvement in her recovery progress.

Greg