• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dad using my rifle...

joelinux

hed weezul
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2019
So, at some point in the new year, i'm going to take my dad long range shooting with my RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm not giving him his own rifle, so we will be sharing mine.

However, my dad is left handed/left eye dominant. I am exactly opposite, and my rifle has the bolt handle and brass ejection on the right hand side. Are there any considerations I should be made aware of? The safety is ambidextrous, so at least there is that.

On top of this, he is becoming farsighted, and uses cheater glasses for reading. As this will likely interfere with proper eye protection, can we maintain equivalent eye relief, and just adjust between the two of us using the focus knob? Or will the focus knob not focus in that manner?

Last edited:
Reactions: acudaowner
Eye relief would be similar usually but the focus will be entirely dependent on his vs your eyes.

I'm not a lefty but a bunch of guys Rock a mean left shouldered right hand bolt operation to drive a long rifle np. Brass ejection on a bolt gun isn't a big deal. Semis it can get annoying depending on how the gas is tuned to Chuck the brass

Reactions: Centuriator
If your dad needs no correction for viewing at far distance, then the diopter focus adjustment will be most likely all you will need to compensate between you both. In fact, you may not need to adjust anything at all as long as he can make the eye relief distance work.

Diopter setting is likely gonna be way off. You’ll both be changing it to get a clear reticle.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Does he normally use a left handed gun? If so it's going to be very awkward for him at first and will take time to get used too. But us lefties are used things not being made for us. But if he doesn't shoot at all it should be easier for him to pick up imo, atleast it was for me and I'm left left also but I've been shooting right handed for since I was a kid.

Is your stock or chassis shaped so that shooting lefty is feasible?

that's very cool of you.

i have very fond memories of taking my Dad out shooting a few years back. He hadn't handled a gun since the war...a long long time ago.

keep it light, easy and fun. I bet you'll both figure it out.

keep it light, easy and fun. I bet you'll both figure it out.
A small, devious part of me wants to attempt to hold him to the level of perfection he instilled in us growing up.

I'll fight it.

Probably.

If the scope doesnt have it, put a little dot on top of the scopes objective. Then put a dot on the focus ring where its right for you. Put a dot where its right for him. Makes it easy to go back to a prior setting when sharing rifles.

Like maybe the red dot its for you and the blue dot for your dad. Quick reference.
1572619194659.png

With the ruger you shouldnt have cheek pieces off set to one side so it should work fine for ambidextrous shooting. The focus is the only real concern for me. Ive had first time left hand shooters out on my rifles and they do fine. They sure do smile big when they hit a plate at 800.