• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Damaged Barrel Extension Lugs

UState48

Private
Minuteman
May 30, 2019
I recently had a bolt lug shear off in my 224 Valkyrie. It took a ton of force to remove the bolt, and when I finally got it out, I realized that the bottom three lugs in the barrel extension looked like they had been damaged. I'm not 100% sure that the damage did not occur previously, but I think it's pretty unlikely. It's not a new build as the barrel has about 1K on it.

Do you think the barrel is still safe to use?

1.png
?

Last edited:
Mind sharing details of the rifle/ammo?

I wouldn't continue to run it, FWIW.

Mind sharing details of the rifle/ammo?

I wouldn't continue to run it, FWIW.

It’s a Criterion barrel in a BCM upper. Bolt was Daniel Defense. I was shooting factory 90 SMKs.

I just talked with Criterion and they suggested that I send it in for inspection/repair.

Reactions: Ledzep
It’s a Criterion barrel in a BCM upper. Bolt was Daniel Defense. I was shooting factory 90 SMKs.

I just talked with Criterion and they suggested that I send it in for inspection/repair.

Sending it in would be a good idea.

It's hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like the load bearing surfaces of those three lugs are probably damaged and maybe deformed a bit. If that is the case, all the load from firing will be spread across the other lugs, which is likely to break another bolt sooner or later.

Maybe just me, but check this area out too. It almost looks cracked.
716C9BF0-756A-45AD-94F9-8C7CEE419BC0.jpeg

Sounds like you got it squared away. I agree with the others, don't fire another round with it. Barrel extensions are too cheap to risk it.

Sending it in would be a good idea.

It's hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like the load bearing surfaces of those three lugs are probably damaged and maybe deformed a bit. If that is the case, all the load from firing will be spread across the other lugs, which is likely to break another bolt sooner or later.

I removed the barrel to take a closer look and they are most definitely deformed. Glad I didn't fire it with the new bolt.

Criterion has been awesome to work with. Even paid for return shipping.

Just for anybody who finds this later in a search. According to Criterion the barrel extension was so severely damaged that they didn't feel comfortable sending it back to me. Criterion replaced the barrel free of charge - pretty amazing customer service considering it wasn't their fault it was damaged.

Daniel Defense also replaced the bolt but I ended up getting a JP from Criterion anyways.

Thanks for everyone's input.

OP, I have a couple of questions if you don't mind me asking, also please excuse the crude edit of your nice picture.

#1 is that a crack on the front take down pin?
#2 is that a crack on the barrel extension?
#3 is that also a crack in the upper just outside the barrel extension?
#4 what is causing the metal penning?

It just looks like more damage than the barrel extension and bolt lug damage.

thanks,

Inked1_LI.jpg