• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Daniel Defense Delta 5 Pro why or why not?

Boostedcoyote

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2021
Columbus ohio
Hello All, I am finally trying to get into bolt action rifles and the Delta 5 pro has caught my eye. I have been doing some reading and researching (found a few posts on this website) and it seems like there are a lot of people who are not a fan of the rifle. Seemingly it was an older version of the gun in some of the reviews I've read and not the newer "Pro" model, although I did find some people who didn't care for the newer one either. Some people didn't like the way the bolt manipulated, some didn't like the barrel was CHF (although if it shoots well who cares how it's made), etc. The one I'm looking at is the 20 inch .308 Hpalma it seems like it would be a nice gun and I own other DD rifles and they have always bent over backwards to help me out so I like the company, I just don't want to purchase something if it has some big glaring issues. Thoughts from those who have used them?

I’ve shot squaded with a couple guys who use one, it’s fine. Not exactly the best comp gun and likely overpriced for what it is but it won’t leave you stranded or anything.

What are you wanting to do with it?

I’ve shot squaded with a couple guys who use one, it’s fine. Not exactly the best comp gun and likely overpriced for what it is but it won’t leave you stranded or anything.

What are you wanting to do with it?

Why isn't it a good comp gun? What makes it undesirable for that? Why is it overpriced? I know a lot of people are keen on building their guns and could do the same or better for cheaper sometimes, but I like having a good company that will stand behind the product should I have an issue. If I can get behind the gun comfortably and it can shoot small groups repeatedly what else am I looking for? I am not sure what I'm gonna do with it. Really I guess something that I can shoot tight groups with and then shoot out to 1k at a local range we have, however I may want to try PRS in the future so I'd like to have something that would be good for that.

The Gun Collective just dropped Part 2 of the 3 video series comparing the Delta Pro and the Aero Solus... So far the Solus is beating it by 1.5 points out of 25... The Solus also put down a 0.298" group with factory Hornady ammo, and all the other groups were 0.6xx" or less.

I would go Solus over anything made by DD... They're a Fudd company that loves to lick the boots of their Fedboi contracts. Same shit why I won't buy a Benchmade knife, because they donated special chopsaw blades to local PD's to chop up guns after a "buyback"... Fuck them.

The Gun Collective just dropped Part 2 of the 3 video series comparing the Delta Pro and the Aero Solus... So far the Solus is beating it by 1.5 points out of 25... The Solus also put down a 0.298" group with factory Hornady ammo, and all the other groups were 0.6xx" or less.

I would go Solus over anything made by DD... They're a Fudd company that loves to lick the boots of their Fedboi contracts. Same shit why I won't buy a Benchmade knife, because they donated special chopsaw blades to local PD's to chop up guns after a "buyback"... Fuck them.

I'll have to check the gun collective out. I'd like to see what their testing looks like and what they are benchmarking.

As far as DD as a company, I like them. My experience with their other rifles as well as them as a company has been very positive which is why I'm looking at the delta 5.

I shot with it at the PRS Finale this past season. It's okay. It was my first gun and I got it when I turned 21 (thanks CA). It shoots tight groups, the bolt lift is tough, the chassis is pretty back-heavy (even with 3 sets of MDT weights it will not balance on a bag), and I have only ever had one reliability issue when the entire buttstock fell off midstage. Regarding DD, I'm not a fan. I asked them how to take the extractor out so I could measure the lands and they wouldn't tell me; "That's proprietary information".

The Delta 5 is probably best for people who like DD, the style, and want to plink 1k and in, although my farthest impact was 1.3k on the clock. It will shoot small groups and it can shoot far, but it's just not the best for PRS. If you want mine I'm planning on selling it with the same optic that I brought to the finale.

Also, it is overpriced because MPA makes a better gun for the price (better yet save 500 more and get the custom production gun from MPA).

Reactions: stanley_white
DD ARs are not the same as their POS bolt guns unless you love being stuck with whatever they think is best but truly sucks

you could do much better with several other options or even a custom build for the cost

I'll have to check the gun collective out. I'd like to see what their testing looks like and what they are benchmarking.

As far as DD as a company, I like them. My experience with their other rifles as well as them as a company has been very positive which is why I'm looking at the delta 5.
Also, don’t know about the D5, but the Aero Solus uses Origin shouldered prefit barrels, or small-shank Savage barrels, so you can easily swap calibers and barrels at home with a barrel vise, torque wrench, and Solus action wrench (check each time with go/no-go gauges obviously).

Reactions: USNavy06
I had a DD 5 pro in 6.5 creedmoor and I kept it for about 2 months. It is an accurate rifle but the bolt sticking is absolutely terrible. A savage has a better bolt than that thing.

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ
I like having a good company that will stand behind the product should I have an issue. If I can get behind the gun comfortably and it can shoot small groups repeatedly what else am I looking for?
there are a dozen other companies that will meet your needs at the same price or cheaper, and they actually make their living on bolt guns.

Similar situation here. Was looking at getting my first bolt gun two years ago and bought the Delta 5 Pro 20" in 308. Loved it and decided to build a few rifles. Now after having experience with other actions, I see how less refined the daniel defense action is. Sticky at times and quite a bit of slop. It does shoot well though, and for just target practice that I used it for, it does fit the bill.