• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Data Book and Charts - Dope - Wind Rose - Weaponized Math - MOA to Mil - Jack Master

Jack Master

Smile and Dial
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2018
Here
www.snipershide.com
Update 12/29/2021 - I have updated the Google Document
  1. Added a sheet to calculate your Speed Drop Factor for you. See this article for more info on the Speed Drop Factor
    Finding your Speed Drop Factor
Update 5/13/2020 - I have updated the Google Document.
  1. On the Density Altitude sheet the - Station pressure is now calculated for you once you enter the temperature and desire density altitude. This way you can simply fill the DA sheet in for what you want and input that into your ballistic calculator. You no longer need to calculate DAs. Give it the desired DA and temp and it will tell you the station pressure to put in your calculator.
  2. I have added more sheets to the wrist coach. You can now print out Dope sheets for each of the columns on the DA sheet.
Shared Data Book Sheets

UPDATE 3/10/2020 - Here is a link to the google excel sheet that is the blank slate for these charts. If you can figure out how to run and print them, have fun. You can down load them to windows excel from here. Shared Data Book Sheets

UPDATE - I posted Fillable charts as the attached PDFs. Now you should be able to type in your drop and wind data right into the PDF. Most PDF editors (adobe and the likes of) should be able to let you input your data.
I have put together a couple charts that can help us all make better dope books. For My data book I like to cut these out, laminate them back to back then hole puch the card and place it in my data book. This an 8.5x11 piece of paper that could be folded in half to have all of your numbers.

Dope Charts and Wind Rose
Here is my typical data book page for drop charts with the wind rose on the back. The first row of the wind columns I usually put my rifle MPH and fill the column for that.
See the attachement for the PDF of each of these.
Long Range Blank Data Card 8.5x11 formatted.jpg

Here is an example of my Card filled out for 8000DA
Tikka 6.5 Creed HL 130ELD 2019-09-26 8000ft.jpg

Density Altitude charts
How do you have a paper chart for Density Altitude (DA) changes in your dope? Do any of you have a DA sheet in your Data Book?

I have read and been told to have drop charts for every 2000DA change. My home range is usually around 2000DA. This means I need a drop chart for -2000ft, 0ft, 2000ft, 4000ft, 6000ft, 8000ft, 10,000ft. That's 7 pages in a dope book for one rifle. I don't really want to have that many pages for one rifle (yes, I want ONE data Book for all my rifles). With 3 rifles is 21 pages to sift through. So... below is the chart I made for changing DA. Now I have 2 pages, my Home range dope chart with the wind information on the back and a DA dope chart.

Things to Note
  1. Data recorded - at the top of the chart is how I got the DA numbers. This way I can reference how temperature might change the DA as well as the station pressure. (note the comment in the margin about how temp change = DA change)
  2. All of these are at 50% humidity. To keep this simple I had to eliminate a variable, humidity was it. While I think it will effect things more after 1000yds I don't think it has enough variance inside 1000 to worry about.
  3. Wind - The wind row has 2 numbers in it. The 2 numbers are the wind speeds that are equivalent to the wind hold for 2000DA. Example - if I'm shooting at 6000DA, 800 yards - a 7mph hold is 0.9 mils (6mph from 2000DA) and a 12mph hold is 1.6mil (10mph hold for 2000DA) this allowed the chart to re-use 2 columns of information for each DA change and for me to know what my Rifle MPH is at each DA.
  4. After doing this I think the chart will work out to 1000 or 1100 yards. After that a more refined DA chart may be warranted. At 1100 yards jumping 2000DA is a 0.4 mil jump, that's about 16" of change. For an accurate shot I recommend consulting your Ballistic program on the longer shots with changing DA, but these values will at least give you a starting point if you don't have any other information. of you'll need to pin down your true DA and guess between numbers if needed.
  5. I presented this chart in 2 ways. 1st - straight data. 2nd is the plus or minus from the home range value. Doing the 2nd version can help us understand how much DA can really effect our dope. The 2nd if more for informational used and not necessarily something I would have in my data book.

Let me know what you think.

1st chart Raw DA values
Tikka 6.5 Creed HL 130ELD 2019-10-17 Density Altitude 1.jpg

2nd chart - Difference in DA from my home range.
Tikka 6.5 Creed HL 130ELD 2019-10-17 Density Altitude 2.jpg

Moving Targets
Here are my charts to measure the mover speed and what to hold for speed at distance. The mover speed chart can be used for any mover/rifle. The lead chart is rifle specific and based on time of flight. IF things are moving faster than 5mph you'll have to do multiples of a number.

Mover Speed - Mil measuring and my Lead chart for my 6.5 creed. The lead is all based on time of flight.
Tikka 6.5 Creed HL 130ELD 2019-10-18 Movers speed and hold.jpg

Mover speed - MOA measuring
MOA Mover speed.JPG

Weaponized Math (Try Dope) and Mills to MOA Conversion
Lastly - here is the weaponized math with the MOA-Mil conversion

This sheet is Mils Based
Weaponized Math and MOA to Mils.jpg

This sheet is MOA based
Wepaonized Math MOA.jpg

Attachments

• Weaponized Math and MOA to Mils.pdf
    163.8 KB · Views: 4,783
  • FILLABLE - Long Range MOA Blank Data Card.pdf
    715.8 KB · Views: 3,827
  • FILLABLE Long Range MIL Blank Data Card.pdf
    712.5 KB · Views: 3,725
  • Wepaonized Math MOA.pdf
    231.8 KB · Views: 3,020
Last edited:
Thanks Jack, feeding an engineers brain in the way it eats! This is very helpful for how I see data and these problems.

Dumb question - how do you use the Try Dope?

Check it out here
Here is the link to the article on the Math we discussed in the Podcast from Alaska

Weaponized Math Article

Take my 6.5, for instance, at my home range: 8.7 at 1,000 minus 5.8 at 800 equals 2.9 Mils of drop in that 200-yard gap. If I take that 2.9 and multiply it by .45, it gives me 1.3 Mils. Add that to my 800-yard data of 5.8 and it gives me... guess what...? What my TRASOL spits out for my 900-yard data!

8.7-5.8 = 2.9.

2.9 x .45 = 1.3

5.8 + 1.3 = 7.1 Mils

7.1 Mils to a water-line hit

This was great. Problem solved at 900 from now on, and it saved student ammo and instructor aggravation. I could now concentrate on the student’s wind call knowing that the data I gave him was elevation-correct, minus his input and windage. And it works in MOA or Mil, of course. I had created voodoo.

I always carry with me plastic cards I make out of CB pre-built field charts, including a fully fledged DA chart that is done in a split second.

Here are some photos of my data book. @seansmd
With the wind chart on the back of each chart I can see my dope chart and the wind chart each time my book is open.
Further in the back I have paper for notes or sketching. Field charts for updating data and blank charts to right out charts if I don't have one.
I also have a milling chart laminated and instructions to program my Lisa range finder.
Book is a MILITARY NOTE BOOK COVER from tactical notebook covers
20191008_201409.jpg

Attachments

• 20191008_201450.jpg
    20191008_201450.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 999
  • 20191008_201439.jpg
    20191008_201439.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 902
  • 20191008_201432.jpg
    20191008_201432.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 867
Using your example data from 8000da, what’s the math to figure out a 9mph or 12mph wind?

Or do you look at average the difference between the 7&10 to get close enough for the 9 mph example? Split the difference between a 10&14mph for the 12?

Using your example data from 8000da, what’s the math to figure out a 9mph or 12mph wind?

Or do you look at average the difference between the 7&10 to get close enough for the 9 mph example? Split the difference between a 10&14mph for the 12?
Not sure if you are talking about the full value wind correction (his wind rose) or the resultant wind hold?
If it is the full value wind correction,, yes you interpolate like his example showed with the red detail(17 bring between 15 and 20).

If you are talking the resulting wind hold of the resulting full value wind, it depends on the mph of your gun and then you will still need to interpolate if it falls between values.. his example above resulted in a full value wind of 9mph, if my gun is a 6pmh gun i need to adjust wind hold at 1.5x for the distance. For my 6mph gun @500 yards is 0.5mil x 1.5 would make my hold 0.75, and I would interpolate to either 0.7 or 0.8 depending on the situation. If your gun is a 5pmh gun, the 9mph full value wind would be closer to 1.8x your math would then be, 500y is 0.5mils x 1.8 which would be a 0.9 mil wind hold at 500y.

Others will check my math.

Reactions: Quest1000

Seansmd has the right idea. You'll take a percentage of this, this is the only math you have to do on the line.
For the example above at 600yds, 9mph is 0.7, maybe 0.8 if the winds are gusty. At 600 yards, 12mph wind is 1.0 (split the difference)

In this example the 7 mph and 10 mph are really close together. If you have a 4 mph gun, I would replace the 7mph column with 4 mph holds. Then 10 and 4 are further apart and not used in conjunction (as much) like the 7 and 10 are used. This is why you will see in the blank sheet the mph of the first wind column is not filled in. its for you to place you gun MPH in it.

Reactions: seansmd
Thank you for this! I will use it and share it with my shooting partners.

For consistency sake, shouldn't 12 and 6 o'clock be zero and you measure from the 3/9 o'clock position?

For consistency sake, shouldn't 12 and 6 o'clock be zero and you measure from the 3/9 o'clock position?
Yes, at 6 and 12 would be zero, but to read the chart in the field faster and easier its useful to have the wind speed in it. Frank and I talked about this as well, and decided to go with the speeds in the 6 and 12.

Reactions: jtwillzero
Not sure if you are talking about the full value wind correction (his wind rose) or the resultant wind hold?
If it is the full value wind correction,, yes you interpolate like his example showed with the red detail(17 bring between 15 and 20).

If you are talking the resulting wind hold of the resulting full value wind, it depends on the mph of your gun and then you will still need to interpolate if it falls between values.. his example above resulted in a full value wind of 9mph, if my gun is a 6pmh gun i need to adjust wind hold at 1.5x for the distance. For my 6mph gun @500 yards is 0.5mil x 1.5 would make my hold 0.75, and I would interpolate to either 0.7 or 0.8 depending on the situation. If your gun is a 5pmh gun, the 9mph full value wind would be closer to 1.8x your math would then be, 500y is 0.5mils x 1.8 which would be a 0.9 mil wind hold at 500y.

Others will check my math.
What do you mean by the"mph of your gun"?

What do you mean by the"mph of your gun"?

Read here - and read/watch it all twice.

Reactions: seansmd
I am thinking how I can integrate this into my arm band as well. Especially on unknown distance stages on the clock.

Shooters
@lowlight
I have put together a couple charts that can help us all make better dope books. For My data book I like to cut these out, laminate them back to back then hole puch the card and place it in my data book. This an 8.5x11 piece of paper that could be folded in half to have all of your numbers.

Here is my typical data book page for drop charts with the wind rose on the back. The first row of the wind columns I usually put my rifle MPH and fill the column for that.
See the attachement for the PDF of each of these.
View attachment 7160415

Here is an example of my Card filled out for 8000DA
View attachment 7160417

Lastly - here is the weaponized math with the MOA-Mil conversion
View attachment 7160421
What’s the ranging column for?

I mostly use this column for wind bracketing. It gives me a rough idea of the target width if it happens to be given to us. Example 8"plate at 600 yds will be about .4mil wide. 10mph wind gusting to 15mph will be a .8mil to 1.2 mil hold. My bracket is .4 wide. So now I can hold .8 at the center of plate and if the wind gusts up I need to to slide .8 to edge of plate.
It's also posible to use it for very ...very rough ranging. 10in is about the size of prarie dogs laid flat and i like to double check my range finder when i am getting several numbers due to terrain.
I suppose I should post a blank sheet with the ranging in moa as well.

Reactions: ShtrRdy
@Jack Master you may be able to save these up in the resource section, it may allow saving of the XLS as well.

I certainly appreciate the content and the willingness to help!

This is awesome, thank you for sharing.

I'm pretty new to the long range world, and it seems like I've had my face buried in my phone, playing with at least a half dozen different ballistic apps. Ever since the podcasts & online training modules on rifle MPH, weaponized math, etc., I'm actually starting to do this without the apps, and I feel like I am learning so much more.

These resources (and discussions) are such a huge help.

I'm working to make the pdfs have text boxes on them so everyone can input thier info from a pdf. I need to find someone with a high end pdf editor to get this set up. I might have found someone with it. If any of you have a high end editor please let me know. Thanks

I'm working to make the pdfs have text boxes on them so everyone can input thier info from a pdf. I need to find someone with a high end pdf editor to get this set up. I might have found someone with it. If any of you have a high end editor please let me know. Thanks

Jack, I have several programs that can make those edit. Pm me if needed. I’d love to help in any way!

Sorry, but I'm confused.

The sidebar notes on the first page... I assume aerodynamic jump - it's a verticle component? And it is .1 MILs/10mph... subtract from elevation data?

Also, I thought Spin Drift "1% come up" was a horizontal component, regardless of wind, not a verticle? 90° wind, subtract from windage data?

Sorry, but I'm confused.

The sidebar notes on the first page... I assume aerodynamic jump - it's a verticle component? And it is .1 MILs/10mph... subtract from elevation data?

Also, I thought Spin Drift "1% come up" was a horizontal component, regardless of wind, not a verticle? 90° wind, subtract from windage data?

Conaso - You have the correct idea.
Yes, Aerodynamic jump is a vertical component that can be up or down depending on the wind direction.
yes, Spin Drift is a windage adjustment. If I add "of" in there it makes more sense. "1% of the come-up"

That is awesome! Thanks for taking the time to post this, and share! I was just a plinkster three years ago, and I’ve come a long way, thanks to Frank and people like you on this forum.

Reactions: FishDr
Printed off a few of each, I'll have to compare how I like these sheets vs the impact data book sheets. Also I'm still marveling at how well the weaponized math works. Although the bottom pre estimated numbers are way off for my altitude. I may have to make my own cheat sheet. Thanks for the hard work! Looks great!