• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Day 1, Leupold M5 Locking Turrets 6-20x

Re: Day 1, Leupold M5 Locking Turrets 6-20x

I have been using the M5A 6.5-20x50mm FFP locking turrets and the H-58.

I like this scope a lot it came with a 2 inch sunshade and flip ups

The glass is your typical Mark 4 Leupold.

The H-58...I love it.

At first I wasn't sure if I would like the reticle how ever after using it I like it a lot

The thing I found about the H-58 is its so dam fast for the hold overs.

Just my .02

I like it and I would buy another.

I am really glad to see this company heading back towards the direction of quality. These features will eventually work there way down to the more affordable scopes and everyone will win in the end.

I just ordered a TMR version from Promotive, will post an update when it gets here.

I did the same, seems Promotive/Leupold takes their time with shipping, I ordered mine on the 10th of Nov.

Runamuk, was the scope you ordered listed as in stock?

Did you call in the order or pay via the site?

Just asking because I have only used PM once and I called in the order but item arrived within two days. Need to mention the item was in stock and I live less than 6 hrs drive from them.

I purchased over the website. Honestly I'm not sure if it was in stock when I ordered it, though I believe it was since they didnt offer to email me when the item became available. (like with the Mk4 spotting scope I wanted)

I called leupold today, they said the scope would ship on 2 Dec. But next time I'm trying it your way and calling my order in!

Sorry if I missed it but do the locking turrets have a zero stop also?

Runamuk, I'll give Leupold a call tomorrow to ask about the delivery timeframe.

John,

If you look at the reference sheet Mike posted (1st page of this topic) on the scope it reads that it has a zero stop, LL confirmed this also futher down the page.

Thanks Runamuk for clearing that up, I have no idea how I missed it twice on the first page.

Well, I ordered mine on Monday from Promotive's website with expedited shipping, and it arrived today. I apologize about the poor image quality.

When my 34mm rings come in I'll try to post a more thorough review.

M5A1.jpg

M5A2.jpg

It is beefy, with tactile and easily discernible clicks on both the windage and elevation knobs. Image quality is exceptional, with a crystal clear edge-to-edge picture from 6.5x to 20x (unlike a certain other high end scope I had and ended up getting rid of). In this sense it is like looking through a brighter, clearer version of my Leupold M3 10x.

Can't tell much beyond that without mounting it on a weapon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Commander Shepard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> (unlike a certain other high end scope I had and ended up getting rid of)</div></div>

Which one are you referring to?

Received my 34mm leupold last night, initial impressions are good except for two things.

1. No directions in the box for setting the zero stop? I'm hoping this is addressed in LL's video cause if there's a way to fu%k it up, I'll do it.

2. Appears to only have a little over 101 MOA of travel and I think their advertising 120. So in a search for my missing 19MOA of evevation I'm hoping it's hiding behind the zero stop.

Commander, have you checked the amount of evevation in yours?

Good luck with them. I got one brand new and it would never hold elevation. I had to send it in to Leupold and in the process replaced it with a Premier Heritage 5-25.

Impatiently awaiting the video review!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good luck with them. I got one brand new and it would never hold elevation. I had to send it in to Leupold and in the process replaced it with a Premier Heritage 5-25. </div></div>

That sucks KYS. I ran into Caylen from Magpul at the last match, and he was running this scope. He really liked it alot. He ran the entire COF just using holds, as his had the Horus H58 in it. Talking to him though, he said it held inside .1 mil way out past 10 mils (I think it was around 13 to 14). For what Leupold has done, I really think they hit a home run on this one.

I am not trying to start any shit here, as I am not a brand specific, but rather functionally specific user. There is not alot of difference with this scope versus the others in this price point. Zero stops (windage and elevation), capped windage, FFP, Horus reticle (for those who get that model), 34mm tube, 10 mil revs, etc. This thing is right on par. Plus the added benefit of made in the USA. If this scope were to get near the durability reviews/reputation of Nightforce, I think it would be tough to beat. I mean to get an F1 3-15 NF with a Horus reticle you are right around $2800+.

Hope this doesn't get my ass kicked, as it is only my opinion. Especially with the goings ons at NF as of recently.

So when will the review be released?

any update on this scope? it appears the price has come down to the $2200 range. For this price it seems like a superb scope. Im about to order one for my 300winmag. Id like to hear more from some people who have used it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any update on this scope? it appears the price has come down to the $2200 range. For this price it seems like a superb scope. Im about to order one for my 300winmag. Id like to hear more from some people who have used it.
</div></div>

I've had mine for a number of months sitting on my AE .260. Almost a year and at least 4 comps later I wouldn't trade for anything else I've used. I would say buy with confidence.

Been running mine also, nice optic! No regrets buying it.

Good to hear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good luck with them. I got one brand new and it would never hold elevation. I had to send it in to Leupold and in the process replaced it with a Premier Heritage 5-25.</div></div>

Bad to hear.

I've had one in hand for weeks now waiting for a auto home but that's still atleast 6months out. Temped to swap it on another rifle. It was a nervious purchase even at a discount. Not allot of press on it, I never seen one in real-life till it arrived. The attraction was the H-27 option. I wanted to try a real tree without the other add-ons. Not a option on the MK6 for the auto-loader.

I decided to jump in on one of these new 34mm leupolds with the tmr reticle last week. According to the tracking number it should be here next week so maybe I'll be able to offer up some sort of a review next week. The worst part about the release of this new leupold is the lack of online reviews and user feedback.

I thought I had added to this, made it was some where else, maybe not it's been a long year.

Anyway,

I really like the scope, and ended up buying it from Leupold. I truly believe with their 34mm offerings, Leupold has done a great job of stepping up to the plate. They are now giving the tactical shooter a scope they can use and compete with along side many of the others talked about here.

Not everyone is going to like the locking turrets, they take some getting used to, but i am finding that with just about all of them. There are pros & cons to everyone's locking turrets.

I have it mounted on a 308 in a Cadex chassis and like the scope a lot. The zero stop is a good way to do it too. You can remove the locking ring from underneath, work the turret in any direction, set it and then just spin the locking ring on it and it's set.

The optics are good, I think the 34mm helps the Leupold over the 30mm versions. I have used both, new models and I like the 34mm better. The magnification seems a bit short on FOV, but otherwise the quality is on par with other scopes. It's not $3000 S&B or Hensoldt, but it's definitely better than the Mk 4s in 30mm.

At the discounted rates a lot of people are paying and at the price point, its worthy of consideration, especially if you are fond of the Leupold brand.

Between this scope, the Mk 8 and new Mk 6s, I think Leupold is stepping up in a big way, giving the tactical shooter a smart and useful scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... They are not giving the tactical shooter a scope they can use and compete with along side many of the others talked about here. </div></div>

I'm going to assume you mean they are <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">now</span></span> giving the tactical shooter a scope they can use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... They are not giving the tactical shooter a scope they can use and compete with along side many of the others talked about here. </div></div>

I'm going to assume you mean they are <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">now</span></span> giving the tactical shooter a scope they can use.</div></div>

yes, typo, I fixed it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... They are not giving the tactical shooter a scope they can use and compete with along side many of the others talked about here. </div></div>I'm going to assume you mean they are <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">now</span></span> giving the tactical shooter a scope they can use.</div></div> yes, typo, I fixed it </div></div>But do we now know the composition of the metal in the erector springs?

Frank, let us know when you can wring out the Mark 6 and Mark 8s with the pinch-lock knobs. They look really nice (although their proposed MSRP is outrageous for the 8s)

Sinister,

I have used the Mk 8 for a while now and even played with it side by side the S&B 1-8x and I like the Leupold better...

I think the S&B had a slight advantage at 1x, really 3x and lower, but the Leupold to me was better overall.

The pinch knobs were no issue for me at all, and the Mk 6 I have here has a different type of lock that is pretty simple. Just a single button at "0" that seems to work really well.

If you want daylight visible on the Mk 8 you have to get the D-Boy Horus version, which I had here and returned, I actually kept the TMR / Marine version that was not daylight visible, but for me, I found it a bit more accurate at distances I would use it.

I believe they lowered the prices across the board, so the Mk8 should be significantly cheaper now and through discounts available it should be more than reasonable.

Graham, I do, it's a copper composite.
smile.gif
I brought that up when i was there, but they are happy with it.
frown.gif

I am pretty pumped about getting this scope. I have always had excellent performance from my Mark 4s, and this scope seems to take it up a notch. Now I have to find some rings for this bad boy. I think I am in for a real treat with this Leupold. Ill post some pics when I get it mounted on my 300wm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought I had added to this, made it was some where else, maybe not it's been a long year.

Anyway,

I really like the scope, and ended up buying it from Leupold. I truly believe with their 34mm offerings, Leupold has done a great job of stepping up to the plate. They are now giving the tactical shooter a scope they can use and compete with along side many of the others talked about here.

Not everyone is going to like the locking turrets, they take some getting used to, but i am finding that with just about all of them. There are pros & cons to everyone's locking turrets.

I have it mounted on a 308 in a Cadex chassis and like the scope a lot. The zero stop is a good way to do it too. You can remove the locking ring from underneath, work the turret in any direction, set it and then just spin the locking ring on it and it's set.

The optics are good, I think the 34mm helps the Leupold over the 30mm versions. I have used both, new models and I like the 34mm better. The magnification seems a bit short on FOV, but otherwise the quality is on par with other scopes. It's not $3000 S&B or Hensoldt, but it's definitely better than the Mk 4s in 30mm.

At the discounted rates a lot of people are paying and at the price point, its worthy of consideration, especially if you are fond of the Leupold brand.

Between this scope, the Mk 8 and new Mk 6s, I think Leupold is stepping up in a big way, giving the tactical shooter a smart and useful scope. </div></div>

Lowlight -
Could you please post some pics of the scope mounted on our STRIKE DUAL 30 series chassis.
Thanks
Chris

LL, or anybody who has used a Razor and the M5A2 Leupold...how do the glass compare? Tracking? Overall build? Im about to order one or the other. Im leaning heavily towards the Leupold, but the Razor is less money.

I tend to think the Razor has a bit better glass than the Leupold, Tracking wise they are both spot on and with similar features, if you look to glass, I would have to give the edge to Vortex.

I also think they FOV opens up a bit more .

First, LOWLIGHT thank you for a great review. I just had to send my MK4 LRT back because the elevation turret stopped working; can you speak to how the scope is holding up since you last reviewed it?

I like the price that I can get as an active duty Marine, I just would like to know if the longevity has improved

usmc1488, was the scope you sent back the model in this review? I'm currently torn between the ERT 6.5-20x50 with TMR and the Mark 6 3-18x44, I just wish the Mark 6 came with a TMR reticle. Through promotive they are about the same price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dk-1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">usmc1488, was the scope you sent back the model in this review? I'm currently torn between the ERT 6.5-20x50 with TMR and the Mark 6 3-18x44, I just wish the Mark 6 came with a TMR reticle. Through promotive they are about the same price. </div></div>

No, sorry i shouldve specified. It was the 3.5 x 10 30 mm m1 turret one.The one lowlight reviewed is like an entire new range of scope, they shouldve named it something else. I think im going to sell mine when it gets back. It'll look great in my GAP 40!

Thanks for the clarification on that. I've had 3 mark 4's in the last 6 years or so and never had any problems with any of them.

I'm also torn between the mark4 34mm m5a2 in h58 and the 3x18 mark6 in h58. Scope is going on a 24" 308 to be used for plate shooting out to 1k. Called mike at cs and he favored the mark 6, due to being shorter and newer design. I like the m58 for hold overs and plate shooting. If I was going for holes on paper I'd go the tmr route, but now they offer the 6 in the tremor 2. I feel like a dope now that I walked past the leupold booth 2 years in a row at shot. I haven't looked through a t2 scope yet but it looks interesting. Lowlight, what's your opinion on the mark6 at 1k compared to the m5a2 at the same distance in regards to clarity, sight picture, and glass quality?

Crap didn't realize that this thread was 6 months old, my bad.

Jesse James

Last edited:
Frank,

Let me understand this, they make the scope knobs sooo big they have to make them locking because the chance of twating the knobs is now high or is it trendy to add locking knobs resulting in a bean can sized elevation knob?

Seems like an answer to a problem that did not exist or making up for poor technique i.e. checking your elevaltion setting etc. after smacking your rifle against something?

Sorry if this feels cynical but too old to be sucked into kit just for the sake of it :)

But each to thier own I s'pose

Terry