• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Daytona 500 tomorrow...

Does that fuel use some kind of a additive to prevent it from catching? That amount of fuel next to an open flame ignition source and splashed/atomized everywhere should have ignited.

Is the fuel formulated with an additive to prevent fire?

Good race, but it’s turning into the NFL. Last 20 laps take 1.5 hours. Too much strategizing and bumping and pushing and train-building. Race or don’t. half the eve w as exciting as rush hour on 495 around DC. Which is to say.... cars parked on the road bore me.

Cheers, Sirhr

Its more like Roller Derby actually since you have Owners with multiple cars dictating to a degree who takes the win. Its a relaxing show to watch on a couch , you watch the start doze off and then watch the last 20 laps which has all the excitement. It was amazing that the fuel didn't catch fire like that with it pouring out around a fire.

The specialized NASCAR fuel is Sunoco Green E15, a 98 octane, unleaded fuel blend specifically engineered for high-performance engines and race cars. It's called Green E15 because the racing fuel is actually green in color.

Reactions: Foul Mike
Today is the anniversary of Dale Earnhardt's death.
And My Lady's birthday, and yeah, she too was a NASCAR freak. She watched/followed it for years, and then this fateful day happened. On one that was supposed to be one of her best. NASCAR for her went downhill after this, and the perspective changed for her.

Maybe one day, it'll gain that 'spark' that it had before. NO PUN INTENDED.

RIP and God Bless,

Relax. It's okay. People do have different ideas on what they like and dislike.
Are you really that emotionally invested in NASCAR?

Nope, not invested at all. The last race I sat down and watched start-to-finish was probably the 2011 season finale. I'd rather spend time wrenching on and driving my own cars than watching someone else drive.

With that said, I have a ton of respect for any driver who puts his life on the line in pursuit of the checked flag, regardless of which direction they are turning on the track (if they are even turning at all) or where they were born. I'm guessing that respect makes me soft or weak compared to the real men who are experts on contests of speed because they once did 30 MPH over the speed limit in their buddy's Trans Am.

Hope the guy is Ok

But NASCAR Its still lame as fuck and then some , racing designed for highest crash probability in closest proximity to the crowd doesn't make it any less lame.

Fuel cells are designed to minimise the chance of big fuel spill and fires that were in the past mayor killer of race car drivers

Thank you to lapuapalooza for post #70 of the Flattrackers. Brought back memories.

A crash like this makes me think of all of the developments made on the Track that are in the cars we all drive today and how many lives that has saved.
That was a hella hit and my thoughts and prayers are with Ryan and his Family. FM

Reactions: Lapuapalooza
That is true. I was reading an article today that said that Dale Earnhardt's crash is what saved Ryan Newman's life. The changes made after Earnhardt's death was a wholesale effort on NASCAR's part to protect the drivers even more than they were at the time.

Reactions: camotoe and Maggot
That is true. I was reading an article today that said that Dale Earnhardt's crash is what saved Ryan Newman's life. The changes made after Earnhardt's death was a wholesale effort on NASCAR's part to protect the drivers even more than they were at the time.

The fact that somebody could go through a crash like that and not be taken out in parts says a lot for the safety. Whats great is that a lot of it bleeds over in to our street cars.

Here’s a fiery Daytona crash for you. Mark Brelsford #1 on his Harley-Davidson XR750 factory road racer.
31421E5D-2FA4-4BD0-BB73-76F400A58ACA.jpeg

I heard a report on the radio that Newman is awake and talking. AMAZING if true...

Yes, widely reported, now (official statement). Still no mention of his actual injuries.

I'm glad to hear that Ryan seems to be doing ok, given the circumstances, but I'll bet the execs in NASCAR are rubbing their hands in glee over the amount of buzz the wreck created. NASCAR has been in a downward slide in recent years, but this has increased their publicity greatly.

Here is a picture of him being loaded into the ambulance. Can't see him, but you can see what's left of his car. Looks like the jaws of life was used to get him out.

He is one lucky dude.
Newman.jpg

Here is a picture of him being loaded into the ambulance. Can't see him, but you can see what's left of his car. Looks like the jaws of life was used to get him out.

He is one lucky dude.
View attachment 7253280
Anyone catch the Pre-Race show? A WWE wrestler named “Sheamus” interviewed Newman as he stood next to his car with his arms around his two little girls. He said, “I’ve got a question for you: You look like you’ve got about 50 lbs on the next-biggest guy in this race. How hard is it for you to get in and out of the car through that little window?” Newman looked a little off-put, but smiled and shrugged, saying, “I just slide in and out like everybody else.” I think he thought he was calling him fat, but he just meant large-framed, which he is. Anyway, it was the first thing I thought of when I heard they had to cut him out. Almost prophetic.

He is one lucky dude.
View attachment 7253280

Damn - that is one wrecked car. For as much crap as the CoT and Generation Six cars have received from drivers and fans (some of it justified), I'm sure that the modern safety features saved Newman's life. Moving him several inches closer to the driver's side door would have certainly made the outcome worse.

I'm sure that there will be some lessons-learned from this accident that will be rolled into the next-generation chassis, and some driver will find himself alive after another horrific crash in the future.

Damn - that is one wrecked car. For as much crap as the CoT and Generation Six cars have received from drivers and fans (some of it justified), I'm sure that the modern safety features saved Newman's life. Moving him several inches closer to the driver's side door would have certainly made the outcome worse.

I'm sure that there will be some lessons-learned from this accident that will be rolled into the next-generation chassis, and some driver will find himself alive after another horrific crash in the future.

The car is already at the NASCAR research center for evaluation. However I don't know what they can do for a car that is upside down, flying through the air and another car just happens to hit it while it' s falling from the sky. The hit took place in one of the most vulnerable area. This one is going to be difficult to address, but I hope something good comes from this wreck.

What concerns me is that there's no report on Newman's injuries. In that picture, you see one of the rescue guys hold his feet and legs. That's concerning since usually I would think they'd have him strapped down on the gurney. I hope he's okay without any lasting effects from this accident.

Continued prayers!

Many years ago, 93ish, when I first met my wife, not my wife then, we lived across the street from Halifax. The hospital they bring all the injured drivers too. You could hear them practicing all over the city during Race Week.

I can only guess at the deep pain he feels in his muscles.

I got rear ended while at full stop from a car going 55.

It was the second most violent instant Id ever experienced. The first being the experience of going from free fall to under parachute. The situations were in reverse though. Going from sheer peace and quiet in the car wreck to instant violence vs going from the noise and violence of free fall to pure peace and quiet.

When I got my self out of the car I was fine and had a few words with the guy that waffled me. The car was crushed people were disbelieving I wasn't hurt.

Wasn't hurt that day but over the next couple days pain settled in. Felt like every muscle in my body had been through its own individual intense workout.

I can only guess that with the G he experienced he is ripped up internally.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Without seeing how the car "failed" (and I use that term only in a narrow technical sense), it's hard to say how it could be improved. But there are usually ways to make anything stronger - might mean some larger tubing or thicker walls, yet another brace or some additional gussets, moving the driver even closer to the centerline, another chunk of energy-absorbing foam - even though it'll come at the cost of weight or money.

The fuel spillage is also a concern. Ideally, fuel reasons contained if the crash is survivable. I can't claim to know the cause or offer solutions in this case.

I also don't have any idea what is already in mind for the 7th-gen chassis.

On the way home from the grocery store at 11:00 news on the car radio they said he was up and walking and going home soon.
I was very happy to hear that.

I think one of the things that was good about this lashup was that he was in the AIR when hit in the door area.
Had he had tires on the track it probably would not be so good.
I will still pray for him. FM
With everyone's comments in mind, maybe they should race tanks that won't bend but won't go near so fast.
I am impressed with what they have and how they do it and how fast the track crews respond and feel lucky to have all of their expertise in the cars we drive today.
A Hella lot of R&D comes from those tracks. and goes into our everyday bombs we drive, not from the plant that build them. I have nothing else to say.

Last edited:
How's this for an angle of a tangent of a spectrum? 'It was the newly-designed "fuel dump" process to remove as much fuel from the vehicle before landing'.... not unlike the S.O.P's from the D.O.A. regarding F.A.A.'s..... or something like that. For the safety of all.

Too soon?