• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DBM Inter change/Varying Pillar Depth Between Brands. ?s

Earnhardt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2018
I have a McMilan A5 long action with a Gen 1 Seekins DBM
The Gen 1 Seekins DBM is apparently more squared off in the corners than M5 DBMS are, but a M5 will fit in the Seekins opening with small gaps around the edge.

I know there are many different DBM opening sizes...

But is the pillar depth an industry standard for all DBMs?

Will a Hawkins M5 DBM fit inside of another brand of DBM opening, and will the pillar depth be the same between the 2 brands?...where NO modifications are needed to get the AICS magazine to “seat” correctly up in the bottom of the action If both DBMs were changed out and bolted into the opening?

Thanks

crickets....

So when I install a Long action Hawkins in a Gen 1 Seekins DBM opening, or a Surgeon DBM opening, there will be gaps around the perimeter of the DBM that can either be filled or left as is...

But are the pillar depths/DBM stand offs, an industry standard bewteen all Manufacturers?

Or does a guy either have to shim or grind pillars, if I was going to interchange bewteen various manufacturee M5 DBMs?

Thanks

No, there is no standardization. That fact, coupled with the lack of standardization among magazine manufacturers is probably to blame for the majority of situations where "Brand A mag works perfect, but Brand B is total garbage! Will never waste my money with Brand B again"...

Reactions: Earnhardt
No. There is no 10 commandments.

Here are the constraints:

1. Stock height. "Most" stocks hover around 2.1" measured at the tang to showline transition. This is NOT set in stone.

2. Receiver diameter. 1.350 being the most common, however it's all relevant to the action being used.

3. Receiver placement relative to showline. Assuming you fit to the radius, that's more or less the industry norm.

4. Stock draft angle. 2.5 to 3 degrees. That half a degree makes a BIG difference. Trig it out once n see.

5. Floormetal being used. A BDL from Remington is radically different from a Badger, mine, Andy's, whoever.

Generally speaking the appropriate pillar height covers around .725" for the front and 1.075" on the back end.

Hope this helped.

C.