• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dead Air Nomad-Ti questions

uppercut11

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2020
I just got my Dead Air Nomad-Ti after a long wait for the tax stamp. In shooting it and looking it over more closely I have a few questions that I am hoping someone can answer.

1) Looking down the inside of the can I expected to just see a round hole but it is more of a keyhole pattern, with a deeper notch off of the center round hole in one direction. When I thread it onto my rifle, this notch is in a sideways orientation. I had understood that the Nomad-Ti did not need to be timed, but this asymmetry has me wondering if that is wrong. Do I need to use some washers to get this in a certain orientation?

2) This is a basic suppressor question for hunting, but I always put electrical tape over the end of my barrel so I don't get any debris in it. Any problems with taping the end of the suppressor the same way?

3) I see about a 3" difference in POI with the suppressor vs. without. I am shooting a Seekins Element 6.5 PRC, and it hits about 3" lower with the suppressor on at 100 yds. I had understood from others that you would see a shift, but pretty small (i.e. an inch or less at 100 yds.). I guess it is what it is, but wondering if this is abnormal.

Thanks everyone!

1. No
2. I would not.
3. It can very more than an inch. 3" is not crazy. The bigger question, do you ever plan to shoot without the can? If so, then you will just need to keep that data logged so you can make those changes.

1. No
2. I would not.
3. It can very more than an inch. 3" is not crazy. The bigger question, do you ever plan to shoot without the can? If so, then you will just need to keep that data logged so you can make those changes.
Thanks for the response. Why wouldn't you take over the end to keep debris out? Will the gases not blow the tape off like they will without a suppressor?

I just got my Dead Air Nomad-Ti after a long wait for the tax stamp. In shooting it and looking it over more closely I have a few questions that I am hoping someone can answer.

1) Looking down the inside of the can I expected to just see a round hole but it is more of a keyhole pattern, with a deeper notch off of the center round hole in one direction. When I thread it onto my rifle, this notch is in a sideways orientation. I had understood that the Nomad-Ti did not need to be timed, but this asymmetry has me wondering if that is wrong. Do I need to use some washers to get this in a certain orientation?

2) This is a basic suppressor question for hunting, but I always put electrical tape over the end of my barrel so I don't get any debris in it. Any problems with taping the end of the suppressor the same way?

3) I see about a 3" difference in POI with the suppressor vs. without. I am shooting a Seekins Element 6.5 PRC, and it hits about 3" lower with the suppressor on at 100 yds. I had understood from others that you would see a shift, but pretty small (i.e. an inch or less at 100 yds.). I guess it is what it is, but wondering if this is abnormal.

Thanks everyone!

1. Baffle clipping, 100% normal doesn't matter orientation.

2. Remove it before shooting or it can affect accuracy. People use wipes so having the opening blocked by tape is not going to do anything.

3. What mounting method are you using?

I have never worried about debris, but I genneraly carry muzzle down whether I am shoulder slung or cross body. Like Clayman, I want nothing left to chance to effect my accuracy.

1. Baffle clipping, 100% normal doesn't matter orientation.

2. Remove it before shooting or it can affect accuracy. People use wipes so having the opening blocked by tape is not going to do anything.

3. What mounting method are you using?
It is a DT mount as I wanted to keep the weight as low as possible. Wondering a bit now if I want to change to a XENO mount system though as Dead Air recommended this for better repeatability when I contacted them. Any thoughts?

It is a DT mount as I wanted to keep the weight as low as possible. Wondering a bit now if I want to change to a XENO mount system though as Dead Air recommended this for better repeatability when I contacted them. Any thoughts?

That's pretty rough for direct thread but not unheard of imo. As long as you torque it down and keep it on there just zero it for that. As long as it groups well and you leave it on it doesn't matter.

As far as tape or a balloon to keep out debris, just try it and see if it has any negative effects on poi or accuracy. If not, go for it.

I am a bit of a suppressor newb myself but will share what I can.

The notches in the baffles are there per design. The clipped portion helps to create more disturbance to the gas flow and from what I understand greatly increases performance.

I can’t imagine that a bit of tape will be an issue, as long as you don’t overdo it.

Your POI shift may or may not be unusual. Barrel harmonics are probably most likely the cause for a substantial change. What is most important is repeatability. Thread it on, shoot a group and record your results, remove and shoot, reattach and verify POI is at the same location as before. If you will be hunting full time with your Nomad simply adjust your optic to the POI and that is all.

Probably a bit of an overly simplified response but I hope this helps to answer your questions.

Thanks everyone!
1.) No. You're way overthinking this. Just mount it, shoot it, adjust your scope for the POI shift, roll with it. 👍🏼

2.) That's fine during walking/hiking/mobilization, but I'd fully remove the tape before taking a shot.

3.) 3" is pretty common. It has to do with barrel harmonics more than anything from the added weight of the suppressor having off the end. Nothing to worry about. Unless you plan on shooting unsuppressed, I would just adjust your scope to shooting WITH the suppressor. Me personally, once I got my cans, I don't see the need to shoot without them. I suppress everything I can, and if it can be suppressed, it gets shot suppressed.

If you have a profile of most hunting rifles, I'd imagine it has more harmonic movement than the type of barrel most guys are putting the can on...at least on here. That may be why the shift is more than you were thinking it would be. I've never had that much shift but I shoot suppressed all the time so I just zero the gun with the can that goes with it and leave it that way.

Sure wish my Nomad Ti would get out of jail sooner than later... I still have a while though I'm afraid...

If you have a profile of most hunting rifles, I'd imagine it has more harmonic movement than the type of barrel most guys are putting the can on...at least on here. That may be why the shift is more than you were thinking it would be. I've never had that much shift but I shoot suppressed all the time so I just zero the gun with the can that goes with it and leave it that way.

Sure wish my Nomad Ti would get out of jail sooner than later... I still have a while though I'm afraid...
Swapping between my Sandman-S and Nomad-LT the POI shift on my 16" .300 BLK AR ranges anywhere from 1.5-3" average.

My 16" .300 BLK seems to prefer the weight of my Sandman-S over my Nomad-LT. While it's much quieter with the Nomad-LT, the groups are better with the Sandman-S. Which works out perfect, since I actually bought that SM-S MIL-Contract FDE can specifically for that .300 BLK rifle. And they work REALLY well together. 👍🏼

Thanks everyone! I feel a lot better knowing I don't need to time it. Sounds like the consensus is not to tape the end, but I may try it on the range and see what the effect is.

Swapping between my Sandman-S and Nomad-LT the POI shift on my 16" .300 BLK AR ranges anywhere from 1.5-3" average.

My 16" .300 BLK seems to prefer the weight of my Sandman-S over my Nomad-LT. While it's much quieter with the Nomad-LT, the groups are better with the Sandman-S. Which works out perfect, since I actually bought that SM-S MIL-Contract FDE can specifically for that .300 BLK rifle. And they work REALLY well together. 👍🏼
I don't shoot 300blk but on my ar15 with my other 3 cans I only got a very minimal shift. I don't really care so long as she groups tight though, because I will have enough cans to leave em on there, after my Nomad Ti, R6, and Oculus come in . I will be done for a while with buying cans.

Barrel harmonics, yep. Two rifles print better groups with a can attached…

Grendel Ruger Predator barrel profile is so light and the old Cyclone can is so heavy, the POI drops 5 inches

Yeah, when I was typing that I was thinking "we will see how long that lasts".... once you start getting cans, it's hard to stop. Every gun you have or want, the next thought is "wonder what suppressor would be best for it"....
Hahaha! I was also thinking that getting cans is like getting tattoos! I now have four rifle cans and two handgun cans. Just so happens that I have six tattoos also.

My nomad-Ti shifted my poi 4” down on a 24” proof sendero barrel of a 6.5 saum. Very consistent but much larger than my other cans and rifle combos esp for my lightest supprsssor. In contrast my 17 ounce tbac 30p1 shifted 5 inches down on the same rifle. Still shoots great just have two zeros on my optic. I wouldn’t worry about it