• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Deal Alert: Otte Gear Alpine Trouser

Guy Montag

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2011
Upstate NY, USA
Wasn't sure exactly where this ought to be posted, but heads up on a solid value from Otte Gear on their Alpine Trouser. No affiliation with the company other than I use and like their stuff.

http://www.ottegear.com/catalog-detail.php?p=50

1295730250.jpg

It does seem like a good discount, too bad that their sizeing is S, M, L, XL, XL and their standards require me to be five inches taller than I am to have the waist that I have.

At least you can hem them. Try being 3-4" too TALL for your waist....

I suppose I could, but my point was that at the over $350 (retail) price point I'de like to be able to spec both waist and inseam separately, just as I do with wranglers or 511's. On the other hand if some one matches their build it seems like a great deal.

Okay I'm in. Can always use a pair of good pants.

I suppose I could, but my point was that at the over $350 (retail) price point I'de like to be able to spec both waist and inseam separately, just as I do with wranglers or 511's. On the other hand if some one matches their build it seems like a great deal.

I hear you Don, but if Arcteryx were blowing out LEAF gear at a 60% discount, I don't suspect most would mind spending a few bucks on alteration given the savings. I'm going to need mine altered, but am fortunate to have an capable seamstress in house. ;)

Picked up a pair of tan and OD. They make great gear. External and internal Knee pads would be a nice update In the future. Looking forward to some play time in the hills.

I have a pair of these. Great for cooler and wetter weather. A bit too much for warmer days. Overall, these are very good quality pants. Only wish they had multiple inseam lengths available.

Just got mine. These run LARGE.

The sizing on the site has medium covering 29-32 waist. That sounds like womens sizes to me. I havent been a 29 since grade school.

Large is 32-35. Being a solid 33-34 I figured Id be covered. These swim on me. The 33 inseam is also conservative.

If your intent is final layer with 1 or 2 layers under they would probably work.

My intent is fall early spring, light winter and will likely have little or no underlayer.

Im returning the Large pants and getting mediums. The 32 inseam will suit me better.

I got my Otte gear today - Alpine trousers and jacket. Holy crap this stuff is nice. The design and quality of material is outstanding. I laughed at the post prior to mine regarding sizing - I am a 30/32 pant and the small is big on me so yeah they run big. They also had an XS jacket on sale and I thought I'm a small/medium so what the heck I can always send it back - but it fits! It's awesome too. There are no big bike racers.

Just got mine. These run LARGE.

The sizing on the site has medium covering 29-32 waist. That sounds like womens sizes to me. I havent been a 29 since grade school.

Large is 32-35. Being a solid 33-34 I figured Id be covered. These swim on me. The 33 inseam is also conservative.

If your intent is final layer with 1 or 2 layers under they would probably work.

My intent is fall early spring, light winter and will likely have little or no underlayer.

Im returning the Large pants and getting mediums. The 32 inseam will suit me better.

Sounds like we're the same size. Any idea when the mediums might come in so you can give an updated sizing report?

Sounds like we're the same size. Any idea when the mediums might come in so you can give an updated sizing report?

They shipped yesterday. Possibly Monday, likely Tuesday.

Ill get back to you.

Got the mediums in.

These are a size that is functional for me. The large were more like chest waders on me. Medium fits. They are snug hips/waist but the material is so stretchy its not a comfort issue. You could load the thigh pockets and still be able to move your legs. While not an adonis my chest does exceed my waist size and its not like my manboobs arent solid when I flex.

These are a spandex like material. I imagine they could get hot in the summer from trapping all that crotch humidity. For early spring, late fall, active winter they will be fine.

I think they are worth the $89.00. The bag says made in China and I hope that only references the bag. If American made like the site says they are a great bargain. I don't know if they will end up being my favorite but they will fit into the outdoor pants rotation.

Last edited:
Picked up a pair. Never owned anything from Otte Gear. Thanks for the heads-up.

I have two of their jackets, the insulated Helo jacket in Multicam (wear it practically every day up here in the panhandle, http://www.ottegear.com/catalog-detail.php?p=57) and their Alpine jacket (non-insulated, I believe its just like a rain jacket http://www.ottegear.com/catalog-detail.php?p=7)

Great stuff, their customer service sucked balls years ago hopefully they got better, but I really dig their products!