• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Debating nightforce atacr f1 5x25 vs the 7x35 for ELR

Craniotome

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2012
Florida
I am going the take the Gunsite xlr class in September and need to upgrade my scope as I don’t have enough elevation in my kahles even with a 40 moa mount. I am leaning towards the 5x25 as it has more adjustment range than the 7x35 and I’m not sure how useful the higher mag would be. I’ve only shot to 1300 yds with my 338 lapua and opinions would be helpful. Thank you.

I have a 50 moa rail under a Vortex gen II 4.5-27 that gets me to 2500 yds on my .338 AI and still have a good 100 yd zero, if that helps. The 5-25 nightforce has a fair amount more elevation adjustment.

Not sure I can help, I have both, at 2K, my 60 year old eyes like 35 power if usable at the time. But losing 25 moa in scope travel can add some serious coin. If all your shooting will be with the aid of a spotter, that 10X may not be worth it. I'd rather spot my own, and call accordingly.

If you are using this strictly for known yardage’s, I would opt for SFP as it gives you the advantage to dial out your mag for more hold over.

Going though the same thoughts process; looking for a new scope, checking out NF ATACR F1 25 and 35. More magnification in the 25 (35 mils) vs the 35 (27.3 mils) and not sure the + 10 mag is that useful. I shoot Sako TRG 42 338LM with 35 moa badger rail. Went up to a mile with that rifle with a NF NXS 5.5-22x50 and a S&B PM2 (26 mils elev.) so either one of the new NF will do but I believe I rather go with the 25. Now got to decide on the reticle; I like both the Mil-C and the H59; they both have their good points. Maybe I'll ask some input on the hide.

Moral conundrums. I’m having the same one myself. It would be nice to have the extra elevation and 25x would be plenty for that shot with clear glass and decent conditions. The extra elevation would allow you to take it further without use of holdovers, and you’ll probably have a spotter with you anyways to confirm an impact with something with higher mag. The 25x would put a few extra bucks back in you pocket too.
I’ve shot my 300WM Weatherby out to a mile with a 20 MOA base on a XTR II with 15x. Could see some marks on white target but it’s not very convincing with that distance/scope combo

You saw marks on paper at a mile with 15X?
Nooo. Lol shooting white steel. Could barely see gray splatter but it wasn’t a very convincing sight once it was all said and done had to check target to actually confirm 35A1DE54-B5E3-493D-99CA-9CAB4455819E.jpeg

I have a 50 moa rail under a Vortex gen II 4.5-27 that gets me to 2500 yds on my .338 AI and still have a good 100 yd zero, if that helps. The 5-25 nightforce has a fair amount more elevation adjustment.
Fursniper Good to know this. I have a 35 moa badger rail under the same scope as you have, on a TRG 42 338LM. In the process of getting dope; so far at 1.5 klick (1640 yards). Was wondering how far that combo was going to go; I know it will reach a mile easy but just not sure how far it will go. For now the goal is to accurately send pills at 2 klicks (2187 yards)... any extra coverage would be a bonus (y)

I run the ATACR 7-35 on my win mag for 1 mile shots... the clarity is pretty awesome even at 35x, however I usually run it at about 25x and im able to spot my splashes on steel. I had it on my 338 Lapua before this, also flawless on that, but I haven't pushed past 1 mile yet.

Reactions: Monk Medic
I run the ATACR 7-35 on my win mag for 1 mile shots... the clarity is pretty awesome even at 35x, however I usually run it at about 25x and im able to spot my splashes on steel. I had it on my 338 Lapua before this, also flawless on that, but I haven't pushed past 1 mile yet.
Fenix Mike Thanks for info. Was shooting with that same scope a few days ago, great optic. Was on 32x but had to back off to 25, earth getting warmer with sun, slight mirage. How's heat affecting your magnification?

Fenix Mike Thanks for info. Was shooting with that same scope a few days ago, great optic. Was on 32x but had to back off to 25, earth getting warmer with sun, slight mirage. How's heat affecting your magnification?
My steel is in a valley and my shooting position elevated to where its semi flat to the target, but the ground is quite a bit lower, so the 1 mile isn't hit too bad by the mirage... However once the suppressor cover gets hot, then I get a nasty one from that and have to back way off or wait for the can to cool a bit.

My steel is in a valley and my shooting position elevated to where its semi flat to the target, but the ground is quite a bit lower, so the 1 mile isn't hit too bad by the mirage... However once the suppressor cover gets hot, then I get a nasty one from that and have to back way off or wait for the can to cool a bit.
Thanks, great scope in any case!

Thanks Mike, you answered a question I was asking. In the process of working up a .338 Lapua rifle right now, had the same question about the NF 5-25 vs the NF 7-35. Looks like with the 30 MOA on the rail of the AI AXMC, I’d be good out to 1 mile, even with the 7-35. Do you concur? Was that your experience?

Thanks Mike, you answered a question I was asking. In the process of working up a .338 Lapua rifle right now, had the same question about the NF 5-25 vs the NF 7-35. Looks like with the 30 MOA on the rail of the AI AXMC, I’d be good out to 1 mile, even with the 7-35. Do you concur? Was that your experience?
I run an AXMC as well, and I dial 16 mils at 1 mile... PLENTY left! I have the same dope for Berger 300s in the Lapua as I do the 225 ELDs in the win mag.

eE9otSC.jpg

I run an AXMC as well, and I dial 16 mils at 1 mile... PLENTY left! I have the same dope for Berger 300s in the Lapua as I do the 225 ELDs in the win mag.

eE9otSC.jpg

That’s awesome. Just been modeling it in AB, I get come ups at 21mils at 1 mile, wondering what your muzzle velocity is with the 300s?

Second question, love that color, I didn’t see that currently offered by AI, do you know that name?

Tnx!

That’s awesome. Just been modeling it in AB, I get come ups at 21mils at 1 mile, wondering what your muzzle velocity is with the 300s?

Second question, love that color, I didn’t see that currently offered by AI, do you know that name?

Tnx!
2900 fps from a Barrett 98B. I believe it was 92 grains of H1000, Lapua brass, FGMM MLR primer 3.780 OAL
Color is "Dark Earth", but looks more like a RAL8000 in person.

I am going the take the Gunsite xlr class in September and need to upgrade my scope as I don’t have enough elevation in my kahles even with a 40 moa mount. I am leaning towards the 5x25 as it has more adjustment range than the 7x35 and I’m not sure how useful the higher mag would be. I’ve only shot to 1300 yds with my 338 lapua and opinions would be helpful. Thank you.

Attended the Gunsite XLR Class twice and make sure you have the right equipment so you get the most out of the class. After the first class made several changes to my kit which greatly improved the learning experience. On my 338LM have a S&B PMII 5-25x56 H59 on a Deviant action which did not give me enough elevation so installed a Spuhr 4602 with gave me another 20 MOA for a total of 40 and still had to hold over for the targets at 2200. Either of the two will work just a matter of preference. For a lot of the shots was not at max power. Bipods make a big difference and went with the Elite Iron the second time around which was a big improvement over the Harris I had used previously. Put a gear head on your tripod since you will need to accurately place the reticle when spotting. Get FFS and become familiar with it since that it what is used in the class. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I assume you have the Kahles 624i. It has 25 mils of elevation or 88MOA. I'd add a 40 MOA base or less and just holdover. There is nothing wrong with that. Most will be doing the same. One of the problems in Arizona is mirage. A lot of the time you won't be able to shoot over 18-20 magnification. Ask Cory. It is like Lowlight said he usually has a 5-25 S&B but mostly uses it at 18 or below because of mirage from bright light in Colorado.
Don't throw money at another scope. Send Cory a message. He's helpful and usually easy to get in touch with.
A 40 MOA base would give you another 11.85 mils if my brain is working right. So let's say 36 mils.
A nightforce atacr 5-25 F1 has 35 mils. When you see how bad the mirage is there you will understand.
Run it by Cory. There are too many other things to buy than magnification you won't be able to use.
There are a lot of people that show up with Kahles 624i and S&B 5-25 that also has 25 mils of elevation and a ton of other scopes.
You aren't going to be blasting away at 1 mile shots all the time. You will be working up to it and then finally get there.

Attended the Gunsite XLR Class twice and make sure you have the right equipment so you get the most out of the class. After the first class made several changes to my kit which greatly improved the learning experience. On my 338LM have a S&B PMII 5-25x56 H59 on a Deviant action which did not give me enough elevation so installed a Spuhr 4602 with gave me another 20 MOA for a total of 40 and still had to hold over for the targets at 2200. Either of the two will work just a matter of preference. For a lot of the shots was not at max power. Bipods make a big difference and went with the Elite Iron the second time around which was a big improvement over the Harris I had used previously. Put a gear head on your tripod since you will need to accurately place the reticle when spotting. Get FFS and become familiar with it since that it what is used in the class. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Thank you for the thoughts. I looked at the elite iron bipod and it looks much more solid for elr than my sako trg bipod. I am going to have more questions as I get closer to September and I will pm you.

I appreciate all the thoughts and feedback. Going to go with at least 40 moa and see where that gets me.