• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decided on a SA M1A... And what else?

Mn_Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2008
Minnesota
I've always wanted one and now have decided to finally take the plunge and pick up a SA M1A. Most likely it will be a Loaded model but might go for the N/M if I can find a good deal.

- All that said, what support gear am I going to need? Any special tools that are a "gotta have"?
- I have a 10x40 Elite looking for a home so it may find it's way to the new rifle. I've heard to stay away from the factory SA mounts... Besides ARMS, what mount do you folks recommend?
- Sling?

Lastly... Which M1A sites do you recommend that are the most info filled and the least arfcomish?

Thanks...

Re: Decided on a SA M1A... And what else?

I've seen some great deals on Loaded's lately, well under $1500 for new. There are so many gadgets but none are absolutely necessary. A good Otis kit with a chamber brush helps. I like Sadlak mounts, I have an aluminum on my Loaded, unless your going to use it for an ax it's plenty strong enough. The steel one is not much more expensive. I have several slings, like the Turner National match the best. Get a Sadlak heavy QD stud if your going to mount a bipod, they have one with a rail that allows you to use your original sling loop. Make sure to get a walnut stock.

All the info you need on the "Firing Line".

The Sadlak Airborne is the way to go if you want optics. Allows the use of your irons as well. It seemed a little finicky at first, trying to get it set up and torqued properly, but if you follow the instructions (duh...) it's relatively painless. Mine has held zero through a couple hundred rounds and a few temp changes, so at this point guessing it always will. The M1A Multi-Tool is really nice to have, makes taking some stuff apart a little easier. One thing to keep in mid, some M1A's want to shoot, and will produce a tighter group than most people expect. MOST M1A's want to shoot a little, and 1 MOA is about all you'll get unless you load for it. That said, the triggers are great, the irons are some of the most repeatable out there, and its a classic piece of Americana man. Congrats, welcome to club cool.

One more thing, you don't have to a break the action off the stock every time you clean in. If you do, it'll take a half a box of rounds or so to get it to "settle" back in itself and start producing repeatable groups again. MAKE SURE you keep the piston up front clean. And look for a detailed lube guide on m14forum.com I found that using some grease in place of oil in a few key places has smoothed the action out tremendously. It was like a whole new gun after a complete field strip and following their lube guide. Thats also a great forum for M1A related questions. Way to much gun specific knowledge to even know where to start sometimes.

No matter what mount and rings you use you'll need a check riser. I just purchased and scoped mine, goingto take it out forthe first time this weekend. It is a loaded model with a ior 3-18x50. It is pictured in medium rings, will try and trade the rings when I get back for low. When scoping you have to make sure the ocular will clear the rear sight.
The mount on it came with it but if I was to buy a mount, depending on how things go I still might replace this one, I would get the casm m14 mount. Instead of using the striped clip guide to mount it replaces the rear sight. Much stronger than any of the 3 point mounts. I don't need back up iron sights.
ca51b638.jpg

It takes a special kind of person to put up with a money pit like the M1A. If you can leave the rifle alone, you'll be fine. However, if you want to start getting more accuracy out of it, get ready to spend a crap-load of money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mn_Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always wanted one and now have decided to finally take the plunge and pick up a SA M1A. Most likely it will be a Loaded model but might go for the N/M if I can find a good deal.

- All that said, what support gear am I going to need? Any special tools that are a "gotta have"?
- I have a 10x40 Elite looking for a home so it may find it's way to the new rifle. I've heard to stay away from the factory SA mounts... Besides ARMS, what mount do you folks recommend?
- Sling?

Lastly... Which M1A sites do you recommend that are the most info filled and the least arfcomish?

Thanks... </div></div>

M14 forum is a very good site for that rifle.

Jim

Check out the Scout as well you might like the 18" barrel. I have the NM and scout and havent shot either one until I get the EBR stocks for them. The scout I already have everything but the stock and I will be ready to play. Just something to think about as a project.

yeah... it will eat up a wallet trying to squeeeeeze out a little more accuracy. That said, there's something about the rifle that just draws ya in. It's by far the most "fun" rifle I've ever shot, and offers great bang for the buck. Can't wait till stuff starts to break.....
smile.gif

Mines in an EBR stock its supposed to eliminate bedding but i like the integrated cheek riser rails and better handling. I also like how i see AR 10s at the range all the time but most people go have to look at it when i pull the EBR out lol. Im sure you will love your M1A no matter how u set it up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mn_Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
- Sling?

</div></div>

- "gotta have" tools: gas wrench, 2-pc piston drills, 1-pc gas plug drill. I went with Sadlak's OD green set. MidwayUSA has a good selection.
- Mount: I've had zero issue with my Smith Enterprise mount. It's a touch heavier than others but very solid. Has built-in channel so you can still use iron sights. As noted above, look into a cheek riser if you scope it.
- Sling: M1907 -- I like classics. Check Turners or Brownells.
- M1A Site: As mentioned above, www.m14forum.com
- Mags: get CMI (Checkmate Inc) mags from www.44mag.com. These are current maker of USGI & SAI-branded mags.
- Trigger job: night-and-day result after SEI ran their 4.5# trigger job on my M1A

Also if you reload, make sure you FL size. Pick up IMR4895 for 168s and IMR4064 for 175s.

You'll need a 3/8 " wrench, or a M14 combination tool, to remove the gas cylinder plug when you clean the gas system. I clean the gas system every 600 rounds but others have their own schedule. A flat tip screwdriver, or a M14 combination tool, is needed to "set" or calibrate the elevation knob when zeroing the rifle. You'll need a 3/32 " or 7/64 " hex head wrench to initially "target" the front sight. This is where you adjust the position of the front sight on the front sight base so that the windage knob setting is within three clicks of center on the rear sight for zero wind condition. A USGI chamber brush and cleaning rod section are what I use for cleaning the chamber. I recommend any # 2 NLGI GC-LB rated automotive grease for lubing the M14/M1A. On the scope mounts, I agree, go with Sadlak Industries or Smith Enterprise mounts. One thing to be careful about, do NOT over torque the mounting bolt when you install the scope mount. 70 INCH-Pounds is all you need. Get the Sadlak receiver inspection kit, it's worth the $5.00.

MANY THANKS for the responses!!!

This is exactly the reason SH is what it is!

Plans are going down on paper as we speak. It'll be a small list to start the ball rolling and a bit of it depends on the "used part" market for financing. A stipulation from my personal COC. (God love her!!
grin.gif
)

Please, if you all have further info to add... I'm all ears!!

Thanks again!!!