• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Deciding what to build

TLaude

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2009
North Dakota
I'm going to building my first build and am trying to decide on what caliber I want to use. Uses are hunting deer with the possibility of moose/elk (if I ever get drawn!) and casual target shooting. I don't plan on shooting matches at this time so I don't care about ensuring I'm within those restrictions. I currently shoot a 30-06. The recoil is a bit much for target shooting for my liking, but I do like it for hunting. I'd like the capability of shooting up to 1000yds, but as a beginner, I'd be satisfied with 600yds and then building a new rig for further shooting. Budget wise, I'm not on a tight budget, but won't be spending a fortune for my first build. I'd say $3,000 w/ glass and all would be my upper limit. Another deciding factor is ammo cost. I currently don't reload, but I am planning on getting into it. Ease of getting brass and components would be wonderful.

I'm contemplating between the following:
7mm
30-06

I've been trying to read up as much as possible, but it seems all I'm seeing is the 6.5 Creedmore being talked about; must be a loved caliber around here haha. I figured I'd open up a thread and narrow down the discussion to what I'm looking for instead of sifting through the copious amounts of glorious information on this website!

Thanks all!

What kind of distances are you looking at for elk and moose? 6.5 Creedmoor is a fantastic round for those who want .308 level energy but with better ballistics and less recoil.

What kind of distances are you looking at for elk and moose? 6.5 Creedmoor is a fantastic round for those who want .308 level energy but with better ballistics and less recoil.

I would say 500-600 yards? I'm not sure, I've never gotten a tag yet.

All the hoopla on the 6.5CM is out there for a reason, a great all around SA cartridge, ammo & brass availability is abundant, good ballistics, lots of load info, reasonable costs, lots of bullet selections, etc. It certainly is a great round for deer and is used by some for elk (not sure about moose, never hunted them) but having hunted elk for many past moons with a 30-06 I'd stick with that for an elk hunt personally. A 308 would perform well for you out to 1000 but a 6.5 is like cheating in comparison. The 270 is a great elk round too but since you already have an '06, I'd take that one off your list and stick with short action calibers. No need to do a new build when moving from 600 yds to a 1000 either with a 6.5, it will perform impressively at both distances.

All the hoopla on the 6.5CM is out there for a reason, a great all around SA cartridge, ammo & brass availability is abundant, good ballistics, lots of load info, reasonable costs, lots of bullet selections, etc. It certainly is a great round for deer and is used by some for elk (not sure about moose, never hunted them) but having hunted elk for many past moons with a 30-06 I'd stick with that for an elk hunt personally. A 308 would perform well for you out to 1000 but a 6.5 is like cheating in comparison. The 270 is a great elk round too but since you already have an '06, I'd take that one off your list and stick with short action calibers. No need to do a new build when moving from 600 yds to a 1000 either with a 6.5, it will perform impressively at both distances.

I'm retiring the 3006, so that's not even an option to keep using. My grandfather built it probably 15 years ago. It's heavy as all hell. She's gunna hang on the wall now.

As for the 6.5, I'm not opposed to it at all! If it fits my criteria, I'm 100% open to having it as an option. Based on what you are telling me, it definitely is on my list now. Thank you!

Are you planning to hunt game at 1000 yards? I don't recommend that but I know plenty of people do it. Think about the size of an Elk heart- I think you would need to be shooting 1/2 MOA very consistently to take that shot in clear conscience. Maybe my A1 will be able to do that once its done but my old 700P was a one minute rifle and that would not be good enough for 1000 yards for me. Add some adrenaline and/or heavier breathing and it's way too risky (for me). Just food for thought.

If you are moving away from the .30-06, I'd go with a .308 then. Not much more abundant brass, ammo, components and data than that round on this planet. Many Wal-Mart stores carry it. I don't think the 6.5 is at the local wally world (if that is a concern). I just point it out because you can get all sorts of .308 ammo all over the world. Note no wal mart around here has ammo any longer. We have to go to gun stores and show our permits to buy any ammo, are limited on how much we can buy and each purchase goes into a database for our "own good". Isn't that sweet?

Are you planning to hunt game at 1000 yards? I don't recommend that but I know plenty of people do it. Think about the size of an Elk heart- I think you would need to be shooting 1/2 MOA very consistently to take that shot in clear conscience. Maybe my A1 will be able to do that once its done but my old 700P was a one minute rifle and that would not be good enough for 1000 yards for me. Add some adrenaline and/or heavier breathing and it's way too risky (for me). Just food for thought.

If you are moving away from the .30-06, I'd go with a .308 then. Not much more abundant brass, ammo, components and data than that round on this planet. Many Wal-Mart stores carry it. I don't think the 6.5 is at the local wally world (if that is a concern). I just point it out because you can get all sorts of .308 ammo all over the world. Note no wal mart around here has ammo any longer. We have to go to gun stores and show our permits to buy any ammo, are limited on how much we can buy and each purchase goes into a database for our "own good". Isn't that sweet?

I doubt I'd ever shoot game at 1000 yds.

As for ammo, we have plenty of places to pick up ammo, most carry a variety of everything. If I have to order online, so be it; I'm not concerned about that. My main concern is not using a round that is scarce. If 6.5 can be ordered online and brass is being made for handloading, I'm fine with that.

Seekins Havak in 6.5 PRC. Shoot it out and if you want more energy on target later spin up a 7mm or 300 short mag of some flavor for it. Hard to beat the price on that rifle for everything you get and it is lighter weight if you are carrying it after elk.

Factory ammo available and brass is readily available through GAP.

Its very tough to blend elk hunting rifle with target rifle, even tougher with a new LR shooter. Larger cartridges and lighter guns make it harder for new shooter to learn good fundamentals, but heavier rifles in smaller cartridges aren’t ideal for chasing elk. Havak is a decent blend and you can’t beat the price for what you’re getting. A 7mm mag with a good brake might be my next recommendation. Or better yet build your target rifle and grab a Tikka on the cheap for hunting with. Or heck grab 2 tikkas.....a CTR and a lite. Sorry, I digress.

Seekins Havak in 6.5 PRC. Shoot it out and if you want more energy on target later spin up a 7mm or 300 short mag of some flavor for it. Hard to beat the price on that rifle for everything you get and it is lighter weight if you are carrying it after elk.

Factory ammo available and brass is readily available through GAP.

Its very tough to blend elk hunting rifle with target rifle, even tougher with a new LR shooter. Larger cartridges and lighter guns make it harder for new shooter to learn good fundamentals, but heavier rifles in smaller cartridges aren’t ideal for chasing elk. Havak is a decent blend and you can’t beat the price for what you’re getting. A 7mm mag with a good brake might be my next recommendation. Or better yet build your target rifle and grab a Tikka on the cheap for hunting with. Or heck grab 2 tikkas.....a CTR and a lite. Sorry, I digress.

I'm not opposed to multiple rifles, but the girlfriend might be! Ha!

Have you considered a 7mm-08? If you handload it's great round for targets and killing game. Plenty of excellent components to choose from and pussy cat recoil.

Then get a new girlfriend!

I second the tikka idea. A CTR with 20" barrel wouldnt be too bad to carry around the mtns. Or as suggested, get 2 rifles, one for target and one for hunting.
There is a nice Tikka hunter in 6.5 swede for a song in the classifieds, would be a great deer, elk, and moose gun. It is mostly a handloaders cartridge unless you have a Cabelas close and they seem to carry a couple kinds of ammo for it iirc.

I think the Havak in the 6.5 PRC would suck for target shooting. Too light. i will admit, I am a giant pansy.

That said, I think it would be cats meow for a hunting rig.

Have you considered a 7mm-08? If you handload it's great round for targets and killing game. Plenty of excellent components to choose from and pussy cat recoil.

I have not but I will look into it. I'd prefer something with a decent stock of ammo while I'm still fresh into this as it will take me a while to learn reloading and what not. Not crucial, but more of a "that would be nice" thing.

Then get a new girlfriend!

I second the tikka idea. A CTR with 20" barrel wouldnt be too bad to carry around the mtns. Or as suggested, get 2 rifles, one for target and one for hunting.
There is a nice Tikka hunter in 6.5 swede for a song in the classifieds, would be a great deer, elk, and moose gun. It is mostly a handloaders cartridge unless you have a Cabelas close and they seem to carry a couple kinds of ammo for it iirc.

I think the Havak in the 6.5 PRC would suck for target shooting. Too light. i will admit, I am a giant pansy.

That said, I think it would be cats meow for a hunting rig.

The more I read, the more I'm think you are on to something here. Two rifles is probably going to be what happens. Lucky for me, I have a Cabela's 1 hour to the north of me! Thanks for the suggestion.

I am a big Tikka fan. Starting from scratch with my small time free to shoot, a CTR would serve me well for most everything.

The Bergera HMR is a deal as well at about 1k for a pretty nice rifle. Its right around 10 lbs all set except optics/rings so could be doable for a hunt or two as a one rig set-up.