• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decisions to make

CrispyKC

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2019
So I'm in the market of a new rifle. I have narrowed it down to a bergara B14 HMR, Savage 10 FCP, or a Tikka T1X. Chambered in .308. Help me out please. If you have another suggestion besides a Remington 700 feel free to share. I'm open to anything besides a 700.

Oh how I would love to be able to drop 3k on a rifle. A more wallet friendly approach is over time.
Fair enough! That is such a screaming deal on that Cadex though. My second vote would be Tikka also then.

Tikka or bergara. Either will make you happy. I would say depends on how many mags you want. And if you want to be able to easily get them. Being tikka uses there own. And bergara is just aics pattern.

Or the cadex. If you can do the cadex. Do it.

I like the availability of an aics pattern but tell me if I am wrong, but my brother-in-law was telling me that tikka had the truest action from factory?
Has anyone had problems with tikka's ejection port being smaller than others?
The Bergara seemed to have a shorter bolt throw than the other 2.

Go to a shop that has these rifles. Find the one that fits you the best. This is a facet of shooting that many folks ignore. Sometimes a rifle just doesn't fit you and unless you want to reinvent the wheel, doesn't make sense to buy it.

Good luck!

I like the availability of an aics pattern but tell me if I am wrong, but my brother-in-law was telling me that tikka had the truest action from factory?
Has anyone had problems with tikka's ejection port being smaller than others?
The Bergara seemed to have a shorter bolt throw than the other 2.
Bergara's bolt throw is 90 degrees, the Tikka is 70 degrees.

Go to a shop that has these rifles. Find the one that fits you the best. This is a facet of shooting that many folks ignore. Sometimes a rifle just doesn't fit you and unless you want to reinvent the wheel, doesn't make sense to buy it.

Good luck!
That's the bad part. All three rifles felt great.

I was ready to put money down on a Tikka Varmint 308, was going to drop it in a XLR chassis. I reckon I’d have been happy with it, Tikka makes a good rifle. Had one before.

I went with a Steyr, as I’ve always wanted one. Found a great deal on GB, love the rifle. Proprietary mags though, like the Tikka.

Just last Black Friday, my fellow SHmembers convinced me on a Tikka T3X CTR 20” .308.
Wish I got a Stainless but I got a killer deal on a blued (hammer forged barrel) at my LGS.

I have just recently jumped on the Tikka bandwagon with a .223 Varmint. I honestly don’t know that I would buy any other off the shelf rifle right now. A KRG Bravo is inbound and will be using AICS mags.

Tikka. In my opinion with some experience selling guns for 17 years, best bang for the buck in the industry.

Not a fan of Savage but they can be shooters.

Bergara cant say.

good luck

Go to Cabelas and hold both the Tikka and Bergara and see which you prefer. I like the Tikka better ergonomically and shorter bolt throw is a plus, but you might like the Bergara better. Then order whichever from a retailer that doesn't charge a 15% "don't know better" fee.

Looks like tikka is taking the cake. Whats the experience in this thread with various tikka models? Looking for a light rifle but not too light that it has a pencil barrel. Something like a medium palma barrel.

I like Tikka, the Bergaras look nice but no personal experience.

Savage?

AE3FAADB-2A25-494C-81E6-ECDCD97AE96F.jpeg

box stock 12lrp in .260, Berger factory loads, 10rds @ 100yrd.

Looks like tikka is taking the cake. Whats the experience in this thread with various tikka models? Looking for a light rifle but not too light that it has a pencil barrel. Something like a medium palma barrel.
The tikka varmint models have a non threaded rem varmint contour which is about equal to the medium palma. The ctr models have a threaded smaller contour but plenty heavy to shoot quickly and not string shots.

Reactions: CrispyKC
The tikka varmint models have a non threaded rem varmint contour which is about equal to the medium palma. The ctr models have a threaded smaller contour but plenty heavy to shoot quickly and not string shots.
This. The CTR is a great little gun. I also have a Tac A1 in 308 which shoots insanely well with factory Federal GMM 175s and 168s.

With the CTR, is the cheek piece adjustable or additional heights offered?

With the CTR, is the cheek piece adjustable or additional heights offered?

Factory stock doesn’t have adjustable cheek weld on the CTR. Most people either add a stock pack like the Triad Tactical or use a Chassis like the KRG Bravo for adjustable height. Hard to beat a CTR.

Factory stock doesn’t have adjustable cheek weld on the CTR. Most people either add a stock pack like the Triad Tactical or use a Chassis like the KRG Bravo for adjustable height. Hard to beat a CTR.
I like the ctr stocks. They are light and rigid. There will be more felt recoil because of the weight of course. If you decide to use a stock pack, it helps to take off the factory cheek piece first. If you put the stock pack around and over the cheek piece it pushes your head way off center of the rifle.

10 rds? What are the rifle specs?

Factory stock bits:
Savage 12lrp, .260rem, 26” fluted heavy varmint 1:8 twist, red blade “target” accutrigger at 2lb, hs precision stock with savage detachable mag bottom metal.

Aftermarket bits:
EGW HD steel 20moa rail, darkeagle customs 10rd mag, darkeagle extended mag release, OEM savage 110BA bolt handle, seekins low 34mm rings, Bushnell DMRII 3.5-21x50, non-illuminated G3, and a stock pack.

Looking at the KRG Bravo, the site says LOP up to 14" but no minimum. Do you or anyone on this thread know the minimum so I have an idea of the length to work with?

If I want to put a tikka in a KRG Bravo, why not buy a tikka with a palma style contour and not pay the CTR price? A few things the savage has going for it is the accuracy for the price point and the accutrigger seems to be pretty legit. The Bergara HMR has a 700 action pattern which makes parts and accessories easy to find and it is set in an adjustable stock from factory. However, how well is the action bedded? also, are Bergara barrels in house or sourced from another company?

I'm not going to argue against a Bergera. Just don't know anything about them and on paper it looks good. But for the love of God don't choose a Savage over a Tikka....

Buy a beater T3 for $400, sell all the parts minus the action and trigger. Screw a McGowen prefit on for $400. Buy the $15 spring and a KRG Bravo.

If you want to buy a Bergera because of the availability of aftermarket upgrades just buy an Origin from Brownells for $750 during one of their bi-monthly 10% promos.
Might be a question that you'll think to yourself "this guys is an idiot"n but what spring are you talikng about?

Here's a comparison. Both half minute rifles with 3 shot groups... Was just shooting 3 shots to verify my zero in the cold weather. They both shoot sub .75" with 5 shot groups consistently.
1578027581794.png
1578027457608.png

Pretty comparable with both of them, although the HMR has a better stock. Both have good triggers except tikka is lighter.
You will be happy with either one.

I'm not going to argue against a Bergera. Just don't know anything about them and on paper it looks good. But for the love of God don't choose a Savage over a Tikka....

Buy a beater T3 for $400, sell all the parts minus the action and trigger. Screw a McGowen prefit on for $400. Buy the $15 spring and a KRG Bravo.

If you want to buy a Bergera because of the availability of aftermarket upgrades just buy an Origin from Brownells for $750 during one of their bi-monthly 10% promos.

Got it. Thanks. Well you guys drive a hard debate. No question which way you guys have steered me. Tikka it is. I think I'm going to try the build you mentioned if I can find a t3 for a good price. That is if anyone is getting rid of it.

I was considering the same options bergara or Tikka. I know have determined I will be going with the Howa.

Why the Howa over a tikka?
Tikkas are fine . Just my opinion but when
I tried the different actions I liked the Howa action better. Also I liked the different factory barrel options in the Howa. There are a lot of good consistent reviews of Howas accuracy and build quality especially compared to the bergara. The Howa just seemed all around a better option for me. I'm waiting on the Howa 1500 in 6.5 PRC with the KRG Bravo and heavy barrel to come out.

Reactions: Coyote-6
Factory stock bits:
Savage 12lrp, .260rem, 26” fluted heavy varmint 1:8 twist, red blade “target” accutrigger at 2lb, hs precision stock with savage detachable mag bottom metal.

Aftermarket bits:
EGW HD steel 20moa rail, darkeagle customs 10rd mag, darkeagle extended mag release, OEM savage 110BA bolt handle, seekins low 34mm rings, Bushnell DMRII 3.5-21x50, non-illuminated G3, and a stock pack.

I have almost the same exact rifle in 6.5 CM including the 110 BA Bolt handle, the EGW Pic Rail and the triad stock pack.
I'm still using the OEM mags and mage release and this one has had several scopes and ring sets on it.
IMG_3680.JPG
IMG_3783.JPG

It Shoots great and it is my first really Accurate rifle, but it ain't a Tikka...

The Tikka Love is pretty strong around here...
For a mass produced rifle, it does a lot of things that you have to spend a bunch money on a custom action to get,

This is my 24" CTR in a Bravo that takes AICS Magazines.
The number of companies that are supporting the Tikkas is growing all the time.
MDT is supposed to be releasing a new stock / chassis around the SHOT Show and I would expect they took a look at the Bravo and will have a unit to compete directly with it.

IMG_0609.JPG
IMG_0617.JPG

I'm happy with the Tikka / Bravo combo overall.
I bought a MDT ACC and have transplanted the CTR Barreled Action into that chassis.
I have yet to shoot it, but it has all the adjustability that the Bravo lacks.

222BE381-A7B5-426C-91F2-89CB22097C06.jpeg
0D8845D3-A564-4B02-B938-A77838DDB9AD.jpeg
4FD0DCD0-D3C0-4CF7-B7D9-D6E526126FD6.jpeg

The barrels shoot pretty good as well...

Last edited:
The Tikka Love is pretty strong around here...
For a mass produced rifle, it does a lot of things that you have to spend a bunch money on a custom action to get,

This is my 24" CTR in a Bravo that takes AICS Magazines.
The number of companies that are supporting the Tikkas is growing all the time.
MDT is supposed to be releasing a new stock / chassis around the SHOT Show and I would expect they took a look at the Bravo and will have a unit to compete directly with it.

View attachment 7215919View attachment 7215920

I'm happy with the Tikka / Bravo combo overall.
I bought a MDT ACC and have transplanted the CTR Barreled Action into that chassis.
I have yet to shoot it, but it has all the adjustability that the Bravo lacks.

.View attachment 7215938View attachment 7215939View attachment 7215940

The barrels shoot pretty good as well...
Nice setup. What does the ACC offer that the Bravo doesnt? Beside more M-lok slots I'm not too sure it does anything much different but look fancier at doing it. Personal opinion.

Nice setup. What does the ACC offer that the Bravo doesnt? Beside more M-lok slots I'm not too sure it does anything much different but look fancier at doing it. Personal opinion.

Lots more adjustments, a free hanging pistol grip ( I shoot AR's but I'm slowly adapting to a "Side Saddle" grip for my precision guns ), Integral ARCA Rail, lots of places to add weight- if needed. The butt pad and cheek risers are more adjustable
I put the MDT vertical grip on it and there's adjustment there as well.
I have a KRG Midas trigger on this action and there's adjustment in trigger shoe placement as well as pull weight, travel, etc.

The OEM CTR stock didn't fit me well.
By the time I spent money on the Tikka forend beavertail, vertical grip and stick pack/ cheek riser I was almost halfway to the price of the Bravo.
Now that KRG offers an inlet for OEM CTR magazines, if you don't have another rifle that uses AICS pattern mags, then there is one less reason not to buy a chassis / stock.

Nice setup. What does the ACC offer that the Bravo doesnt?
More and better of everything.

But if you dont need anything beyond what the bravo offers then that makes it a tough sell as an upgrade. Personally Im falling out of love with my bravo. The more I use it the more it just doesnt feel proper. I sold my xray and went to a bravo thinking that would fix my issues but now Im finding myself looking to replace the bravo. I just cant seem to get my hand and cheek in a comfortable location, I seem to always be imparting some sort of stress into the system pulling it off target. The cheek piece doesnt move to the side so I have to sort of push into it and the butt doesnt adjust up so I have the top corner of the pad into my shoulder instead of centered on the pad.
The acc I can fit perfect and its like a well worn glove, it just fits like it should.

Last edited: