• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Deep Freezer woes...

hyena74

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2011
Springfield, MO
So I go to Lowes and buy a new upright deep freezer cause the GF moved in and the fridge freezer just wasn't cutting it anymore. So i get one of the full size cheaper upright freezers. It has a digital front and an up and down arrow to adjust coldness settings.

So i hook it up and adjust setting and it works great and I fill it up with some deer and moose meat my dad gave me.

i week later I'm changing out a light fixture in the washing room, so I go in the garage and flip the breakers until the washer room bulb goes off. I notice the freezer in on the circuit, but I didn't care because it was gonna take me thirty minutes max.

Jobs done and I go in the garage and flip the breaker and all is well.

Four days later, I go the the deep freezer to get out some mean and the bastard is lit up on the front like it is on, but its all thawed and warm on the inside. I have to throw away everything.

So I adjust the up and down arrows and it kicks on and works fine.

So, is this normal for deep freezers? Everytime there is a power outage, do they have to be manually adjusted by hand until the kick back on?

This is my first deep freezer, so I just assumed when it had power to it, it would be running.

I have two freezers, one with a display and one without, neither ever requires any attention and we lose power fairly often.

Wish I could help. If it ends up being something wrong and you're still within the time to return it b/c a problem then let me plug my chest freezer that is AWESOME. We have a Summit frost free. I'm not going to argue about the price, it did cost a lot more than a typical chest freezer. But I was able to get a great discount buying online. There are no digital controls to reset, there is a good ole dial. If I unplug it and plug it back it it just kicks right in. It keeps things around -20 F. Did I mention it is frost free? That, for us, makes it worth every penny. And it is pretty quiet.

If you are going to keep the one you've got, I would try calling the manufacturer's help line as it is unlikely anyone has an exact match.

Get a freezer alarm. They sound an alarm when the temp rises to about 15 degrees. Gives you time to save the contents.

I had a similar problem when the door wasnt shut all the way, but the settings were fine.

Take it back to Lowes and tell them it malfunctioned and get a new one. Those little bitty autobrains sometimes malfunction. Then, after you get it cold...repeat the test. If it does the same thing, take it back, get a refund, and go get one at
Sears. JMHO

Same problem. Kicked it and it started running. Returned it and went to a name brand. I had a chest freezer

I would get one without the digital display. More stuff to go wrong. I would still get the freezer alarm.
I have a freezer in my garage. My ex used to like to unplug it so she could plug the vacuum in and clean her car. She would never plug it back in. An alarm would of saved my the problem of throwing away a half side of beef and a bunch of venison.

My freezer is a chest type top loader. Power often goes out, and I have never had to adjust or reset anything. But mine is about 10 years old, and fairly low tech, so there is nothing to adjust...it simply works like it is supposed to. It is about 48x30x30 inches on the inside, and has to be defrosted every year or two.

The electronic control on my mostly new Maytag dryer went tits up. I had to remove the front panel and wire the machine to run on high temp with no controls other than yours truly (plugging or unplugging). The cost of replacement of the electronic control was prohibitive. So much for a $1000 dryer!

No more electronic crap for me.