• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Delta Stryker HD 4.5-30x56

SlimySquirrel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2009
Just after some real world opinions on this optic.

I have the chance to buy one but can't view it as it will be an online purchase from another state.

I have read the report from Ilya and that excites me but was after some opinions on long range (over 600) use in the field and the parallax focus whether you have found it troublesome or not.

I have one on my bolt gun. Short version:

The great: optical quality, eyebox, and reticle
The good: price, turrets, and parallax
The bad: nothing so far that I can see

Long version:

I've tried tons of different options in the $700-$2500 market and I think this is the best bang for the buck. Optically, it's in line with the Razor Gen 2, slightly (but noticeably) above the Cronus and SWFA HD level, and quite a bit above the XTRII/LRHS/etc. level. It holds excellent resolution all the way from 4.5-30x, which is nice, and very little CA.

Lots of adjustment range. With a 0 MOA mount, I have 16 mils of adjustment remaining.

Turrets are good, but not Kahles or TT level IMHO. The parallax is easy to use, but has a small range between 200 and infinity. The depth of field is small-ish at 30x which means you do have to use the knob a good bit (optically, that's just the nature of high magnification). But by the time you back down to around 22x-25x, the depth of field gets much, much larger, and adjustment is really easy. By the time you're at 15x, you hardly need the knob at all. The eye box is forgiving enough the knob easy enough to use that even at 30x, it's no problem to stay on the scope and adjust while looking through it. As for the >600 yards, it's fine. I've only shot mine to 800 yards so far, but played around with it out to about 1,200, and I maintain that it's right on par with the Razor Gen 2 for that whole range, at least IMHO.

As good as the optics are, the real treat with this scope is the LRD-1T reticle. Looking at it on the computer before I bought the scope, I was just kind of so-so on it. It's fine - not great but kind of confusing on all the marks less than 1 mil. But in real-world use, I've never seen a reticle that was so perfect in terms of being open around the center and drawing your focus to the target and having the perfect weight of dot to be use-able at 15x but still not too big at 30x. I spend most of my time with the gun at 22x-25x, and the dot and reticle as a whole are just amazing in that range. All this is coming from someone who loves the Razor Gen 2 optics and build quality, but can't really fall in love with any of their reticles.

Only had one match with it so far, but finished tied for 6th out of 30 shooters and was pretty happy with that. Cleaned the prone/bench stages, but the positional stuff always costs me some points. Speaking of positional, eye relief and eye box are similar to depth of field - a bit tight at 30x, but really forgiving by the time you drop down to 25x.

All in all, after having run an SWFA HD and Cronus for a long time and enjoying both of them, I tried hard to convince myself to spend $2500 on an ATACR or Minox, but just couldn't do it. After having bought the Stryker, I really don't even look at those as an upgrade anymore. I know they might be 1% better, but not worth anywhere near the price difference for a dad with kids who mostly just shoots as a hobby and enters a couple matches a year. As for the Cronus and SWFA HD, I sold them both pretty quickly after using the Stryker. It's just the perfect combination of reticle, optics, and price to suit what I do.

One last thing - the only scopes I can see competing well with this are the Razor Gen 2 (if you like the reticles) or the XTR3, if the optics are a major upgrade over the XTR2 (very interested to see). Otherwise, from a value standpoint, this scope is somewhat in a league of its own.

Thanks for that man.

You’ve nailed my comparison list to a tee!

The only other optic I’m thinking about is the new NX8 Range but I know what they will end up costing down here in NZ and I could nearly buy another Stryker for the same cash and keep it on my sons rifle....

Thanks again for your reply!

Reactions: patriot07
The Trijicon 4.5-30x56 is basically the same scope with improved turrets.
Not sure about the turrets, but the reticle on the Stryker is much better IMHO. Obviously personal preference.

I am not huge on turrets as a major deciding factor honestly. They matter, but they’re way behind reticle/glass/etc for me. But to each their own.

Within the last 2 months have purchased the stryker hd 5x50x56 34mm sfp and all I can do so far is rave about it , its really nice to me I now know at least two other people that after seeing mine have purchased there own . Thought they payed more , one guy had there scope held up in customs and had to pay an extra fee , I was using a sightron s3 10x50x60 the delta is better in every way that as far as I can tell it's just far clearer , you should be really happy with yours if you decide to get it . just to ask where are you thinking of getting yours from ? I went through optic trade and probably will again if I can catch them on sale again .

Turrets are an important factor for me, especially when competing brands are doing them well and glass is close.

I’m liking the overall dimensions of the Stryker too and if the Trijicon was available down here and similar price then I’d try to source one.

This is going on a hunting rifle that doubles as a gong basher. I thought the ESS would be manageable for my purpose but it’s really not even though it’s an excellent chassis. Just a bit too cumbersome on my wanders over farm land so the whole rig has been transformed and while I’m at it, the optic gets upgraded too from my Athlon Ares BTR.

I would go with an Athlon Cronus BTR again but they are $800 more here and from what I read they’re very comparable with similar dimensions.

Reactions: patriot07
I’m kind of on the fence, but barely, on pulling the trigger on the 5-50 for a 300 prc. I’m new to shooting accurately at very long distances. My only problem is it’s not ffp that I’m used too!

Thanks for that man.

You’ve nailed my comparison list to a tee!

The only other optic I’m thinking about is the new NX8 Range but I know what they will end up costing down here in NZ and I could nearly buy another Stryker for the same cash and keep it on my sons rifle....

Thanks again for your reply!

The XTR3 would be a better option than the NX8. But I honestly couldnt say when they would be available in your neck of the woods.

I havent compared my 18x or 30x XTR3s to the Delta Stryker. But I've heard good things about it. It seems to be a solid choice.

Reactions: SlimySquirrel
I’m kind of on the fence, but barely, on pulling the trigger on the 5-50 for a 300 prc. I’m new to shooting accurately at very long distances. My only problem is it’s not ffp that I’m used too!
When you have a scope with such a huge magnification range (5-50) it almost has to be SFP to have a useable reticle on both ends of the range.

Yea even with a 5-25 I would not want the reticle any bigger at 25x and at 5x I find it kind of small. Now think about a 5-50. I have never looked through a NF ATACR 7-35 FFP, but I can’t imagine you could make a FFP scope with a broader range and still have a usable reticle on both ends.

one just arrived along with too short rings. hopefully get it mounted tomorrow and I'm going to the range sunday. very much looking forward to that.

used it today at bisley 1000 yards. it is absolutely fantastic compared to my viper hst. very clear glass and everyone who looked through it thought it was good too. the zero stop works very well. I couldn't see the ir in the sunlight though even on max.

Reactions: TwistedOneinSeven
Anyone have a lead on where this might be in stock in the US? Looking to try one out by edgunwest is all out of stock and every other search I find is outside the US.

I have seen one sadly only one , I liked it just could not pay the same amount or what I believe he paid a little more for the 4.5 x30 ffp as I did for the 5x50 sfp . We both shot and hit the same targets but what he could not make out on paper , I could with the extra mag . I hope if you get one you will be as happy as I am with mine good luck and much success .

I have seen one sadly only one , I liked it just could not pay the same amount or what I believe he paid a little more for the 4.5 x30 ffp as I did for the 5x50 sfp . We both shot and hit the same targets but what he could not make out on paper , I could with the extra mag . I hope if you get one you will be as happy as I am with mine good luck and much success .
What are you shooting that you couldn't make out with a super clear 30x scope? 22 at long range? I can see 6.5 bullet holes at 300 on mine when mirage cooperates.

I made out every edge of a bolt head on a steel target at 800 yards last time I was out. The resolution on these things is excellent.

Reactions: Vargmat
I have one on my bolt gun. Short version:

The great: optical quality, eyebox, and reticle
The good: price, turrets, and parallax
The bad: nothing so far that I can see

Long version:

I've tried tons of different options in the $700-$2500 market and I think this is the best bang for the buck. Optically, it's in line with the Razor Gen 2, slightly (but noticeably) above the Cronus and SWFA HD level, and quite a bit above the XTRII/LRHS/etc. level. It holds excellent resolution all the way from 4.5-30x, which is nice, and very little CA.

Lots of adjustment range. With a 0 MOA mount, I have 16 mils of adjustment remaining.

Turrets are good, but not Kahles or TT level IMHO. The parallax is easy to use, but has a small range between 200 and infinity. The depth of field is small-ish at 30x which means you do have to use the knob a good bit (optically, that's just the nature of high magnification). But by the time you back down to around 22x-25x, the depth of field gets much, much larger, and adjustment is really easy. By the time you're at 15x, you hardly need the knob at all. The eye box is forgiving enough the knob easy enough to use that even at 30x, it's no problem to stay on the scope and adjust while looking through it. As for the >600 yards, it's fine. I've only shot mine to 800 yards so far, but played around with it out to about 1,200, and I maintain that it's right on par with the Razor Gen 2 for that whole range, at least IMHO.

As good as the optics are, the real treat with this scope is the LRD-1T reticle. Looking at it on the computer before I bought the scope, I was just kind of so-so on it. It's fine - not great but kind of confusing on all the marks less than 1 mil. But in real-world use, I've never seen a reticle that was so perfect in terms of being open around the center and drawing your focus to the target and having the perfect weight of dot to be use-able at 15x but still not too big at 30x. I spend most of my time with the gun at 22x-25x, and the dot and reticle as a whole are just amazing in that range. All this is coming from someone who loves the Razor Gen 2 optics and build quality, but can't really fall in love with any of their reticles.

Only had one match with it so far, but finished tied for 6th out of 30 shooters and was pretty happy with that. Cleaned the prone/bench stages, but the positional stuff always costs me some points. Speaking of positional, eye relief and eye box are similar to depth of field - a bit tight at 30x, but really forgiving by the time you drop down to 25x.

All in all, after having run an SWFA HD and Cronus for a long time and enjoying both of them, I tried hard to convince myself to spend $2500 on an ATACR or Minox, but just couldn't do it. After having bought the Stryker, I really don't even look at those as an upgrade anymore. I know they might be 1% better, but not worth anywhere near the price difference for a dad with kids who mostly just shoots as a hobby and enters a couple matches a year. As for the Cronus and SWFA HD, I sold them both pretty quickly after using the Stryker. It's just the perfect combination of reticle, optics, and price to suit what I do.

One last thing - the only scopes I can see competing well with this are the Razor Gen 2 (if you like the reticles) or the XTR3, if the optics are a major upgrade over the XTR2 (very interested to see). Otherwise, from a value standpoint, this scope is somewhat in a league of its own.
based on your write up and other reviews (Richard Urting in sharp shooter UK for one) I have pulled the trigger and ordered a 5-30 with LRD-1T reticle.

Thanks for the review/assessment. I’m in your shoes as a new dad with a kid and family commitments edging out my time to shoot. So dropping huge money on a ATACR, Another Kahles (have a K1050) or some other $3k plus Scope wasn’t feasible.
Look forward to getting it out to the range...

based on your write up and other reviews (Richard Urting in sharp shooter UK for one) I have pulled the trigger and ordered a 5-30 with LRD-1T reticle.

Thanks for the review/assessment. I’m in your shoes as a new dad with a kid and family commitments edging out my time to shoot. So dropping huge money on a ATACR, Another Kahles (have a K1050) or some other $3k plus Scope wasn’t feasible.
Look forward to getting it out to the range...

I have the same scope in the mail, hoping for delivery tomorrow. Can’t wait. It’s replacing a Bushnell LRHS.

Is US not considered world?

1592502653705.png

Knowing someone with a Delta scope who had to have warranty work done, he had to work with his dealer who apparently sent it in. That could have been the dealer being courteous and it not actually being a requirement, but... the hell with that. I'm sending it straight to the company and not bothering my dealer. If I can't do that, then not interested. So hopefully there's a US warranty location for Delta. If there isn't, why bother buying one?

What's the latest on tracking and drop tests with this model?

Anyone here done some, or can point to a source that has?

Interested in how the Deltas compare in straight-up functionality and reliability compared with, say, SWFA and Nightforce.

There is an optic planet video on you tube that demonstrates the optic being used. Can’t vouch for it being a proper tracking tracking test.

1592662442947.png

Since my regular glass-store is selling the Delta Stryker HD at a pretty good dicount I could not refuse. Its the older generation with non locking turrets and the DLR-1 reticle, and I figured it would suit me just fine.
Right as it is, it is bolted to my FX Impact PCP rifle, with a Spuhr ISMS mount. When the competitions starts up again after all the Corona crap, I plan to move to scope over to my TRG22. I have had a few high end scopes like Hensoldt, Razor G2, Schmidt PM2 and a few others and looked though and fingerbanged a whole lot more of them.
Anyways, this will be more of a first impressions type of deal, take it for what it is.

Out of the box,
The scope comes with some tools, a "cat tail", a battery, a bikini lenscover and a sun shade. Pretty much what you are used to seeing in the box. I have added a pair of Vortex Defendor lens covers to it, since the picture above was taken.

Fit and feel,
The scope feels good in general. The finish is excellent. The turrets are a bit mushy, not terrible but kind of on par with Nightforce NXS, and no where near the awesomeness of S&B. The parallax wheel is stiff as hell out of the box, smooth, but still extremely stiff. It has loosened up a bit after I cranked it back and forth a lot of times. I am sure it will get even better with time. The included "cat tail" for the magnification ring is a nice touch. The elevation turrets markings seems to be a smidge of center, or maybe its just me needing new glasses. The zerostop is super easy to set.

Glass,
The glass is good. Very good. As you can guess I have only shot with it out to 100 meters, but I have looked through it out to about 300 meters on my local range. There is very good contrast, good definition, but a pretty shallow depth of field, so proper parallax adjustment is key. I hardly get any CA at all, and to my eyes, the glass is well above the Vortex Razor G2 4.5-27x56 and not that far behind a Schmidt 5-25x56 PM2.

Reticle,
Very well thought out and designed. I feel that the later versions of the LRD guys reticles are less intuitive, but thats just the oppinion of one.

Time will tell. But for the price I payed, its an awesome scope for sure. I plan to run this for at least a year or two. We will se how it works out.

Looks like Delta has had a facelift.

Quite like the matte finish and new look.

Turrets seem to have different hash marks and the illumination dial sports the new Delta blue stars logo.
B4167D06-9B4E-42B1-9F36-9606CF187D89-796-000002046F85E6EE.PNG

Gen 2 for comparison
DSC00354.JPG

Looks like Delta has had a facelift.

Quite like the matte finish and new look.

Turrets seem to have different hash marks and the illumination dial sports the new Delta blue stars logo.
View attachment 7398837

Gen 2 for comparison
View attachment 7398836
think I may have seen that top pic before....................especially if you are not based in the USA
I think the same chap has something on order for me too, similar but different!

Reactions: SlimySquirrel
Well the warranty part sucks I never saw that when I ordered mine , also it may be on there never really looked , but so far I have not needed it thank god and I own two of them except the 5x50 's.
where I got mine on sale was under 1600 delivered .
this place is cheaper now I think

Last edited:
Hi,

Is it normal for the turret to be on its 3rd plus revolution when it's zeroed at 100m using a 20moa mount?

Also would anyone know if it's possible to somehow reset the turn indicator? I assume it's not since mine seems to be fixed.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 121673875_347378276712398_2866410956108983410_n.jpg
    121673875_347378276712398_2866410956108983410_n.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 216
Where are you seeing them in NZ? Serious Shooters, or elsewhere also?
Reloaders supplies has a new shipment of the Delta Stryker.
There's a guy on the NZ shooting forum that sells them also, I can send you his email address if you'd like.

Hi,

Is it normal for the turret to be on its 3rd plus revolution when it's zeroed at 100m using a 20moa mount?

Also would anyone know if it's possible to somehow reset the turn indicator? I assume it's not since mine seems to be fixed.

Thanks!
Mine has 15 mils of elevation with a 0moa mount on my Tikka CTR. How much does yours have left?

Mine has 15 mils of elevation with a 0moa mount on my Tikka CTR. How much does yours have left?

I have two full turns up, which is 20 mils if I'm not mistaken, specs say that the scope has 30 mils height elevation, meaning I have used up 10 mills. My 20moa mount equals 6 mills. Does it mean that if I was to use a 0moa mount I would have used 16 mils, close to yours 15 mils?

Last edited:
Reloaders supplies has a new shipment of the Delta Stryker.
There's a guy on the NZ shooting forum that sells them also, I can send you his email address if you'd like.

Thanks beetroot ... I was meaning Reloaders when I first typed Serious back in August - had seen them on the Reloaders site, but a quick glance suggested it would be cheaper to import directly ... I'll have to run the numbers properly.

In any case, still pondering whether this is the best option, or either dropping back a bit in cost (but not reliability) and go with the tried and tested SWFA 5-20, or move up to the ATACR ... choices, choices! :)

I bought a used scope so it didn't come with an instruction manual and I haven't been able to find anything useful online apart from the zeroing and reticle pdfs. Does anyone know of any additional user manuals? For example I'm curious what the height elevation markings on the turret correspond to? One full turret turn equals 3 markings on my scope and I simply don't get it.

I have two full turns up, which is 20 mils if I'm not mistaken, specs say that the scope has 30 mils height elevation, meaning I have used up 10 mills. My 20moa mount equals 6 mills. Does it mean that if I was to use a 0moa mount I would have used 16 mils, close to yours 15 mils?
That's affirmative

Just ordered one from Edgun west. Am excited to see what its all about, all I seen is positive. Brian at Edgun west told me warranty goes through them and any work is still done in Europe which at worse probably means a long turn around time so hopefully its not needed but there is support.

Reactions: Iron Worker
Just ordered one from Edgun west. Am excited to see what its all about, all I seen is positive. Brian at Edgun west told me warranty goes through them and any work is still done in Europe which at worse probably means a long turn around time so hopefully its not needed but there is support.
That's who I bought mine from . Its got great glass .

Reactions: Islas82
Hows the tracking? Any issues?
I can't speak for his, but mine is dead on. I did a 10-shot test once a while back where I started at zero, fired a shot, dialed up .5 mils, fired, dialed back to zero, fired, dialed up 1 mil, fired, dialed back to zero, fired...etc going up an additional .5 mils each time and keeping POA the same throughout. Final 5-shot group at zero was right at 1/2 MOA and all other shots were spaced out the correct amount amount. I couldn't be happier with the scope.

Reactions: Islas82