• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Density Altitude - Poll

What is your NORMALIZED DA? (averaged and weighted for frequency shot)

• Total voters

TheOtherAndrew

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2021
Wisconsin
Im trying to get an idea of the most commonly shot at density altitudes.

--------------------------------------
example: If your local area goes from around 3kDA in summer to -2kDA in winter; you'd round 500DA up and say 1000DA is the average DA you shoot at locally.

Then consider how often you shoot at each DA (Ive shot at -2kDA but definitely have more data from shooting closer to +2kDA, approximately at a 3:1 ratio in my case) - so my local normalized DA would equal:
[(most often DA shot*est.ratio) plus (extreme low) plus (extreme high)] divided by (ratio value+1+1)

A) For my local area = [(2k*3) + (-2k*1) + (3k*1)]/(3+1+1) = (-2+3+6)/5 = 7/5 = ~1.4knDA = normalized DA for my area

B) Then I would like to know your DA range/extremes for any location you've shot at in any season. For me thats -2kDA to 8kDA. (-2+8)/2 = ~3knDa = normalized DA in general.

C) If you want, please add locations for
1 - local area nDA
2,3 - area for DA extremes you've shot

My local area is MN/WI border, which can go from [-2kDA in winter to 3kDA in summer]; local nDA ~1.3kDA (poll answer 1 = 1000)
(I most commonly shoot at around 2kDA, roughly at a 3:1 ratio to the local extremes Ive shot)

My general extremes are close to [8kDA in NM and -2kDA in WI]; general nDA ~3kDA (poll answer 2 = 3000)

question, with kestrels incorporating DA into the equation...why do you want to know?

thanks

following

Reactions: 308pirate
giphy.gif

Last edited:
question, with kestrels incorporating DA into the equation...why do you want to know?

thanks

following
How applicable is the need to alter DOPE to ~850yd... Is the common range of DA values collectively ~4000 (1-5k), or is it closer to 10,000? And then what extremes to expect.

I can guess, but figured Id at least try to get a reality based answer.

I’ve played with looking at constants for DA before there were kestrels.

Truthfully it matters enough

Run a bunch of ballistic charts, it becomes apparent

Unless your shooting 24” steel etc

Reactions: TheOtherAndrew
For sure, especially past 800yd. For me personally at my local area I can just +/-2 maybe 3 clicks pending distance, usually.

Im asking more about multiple other users POV; is it a usual occurrence to spread >5kDA for a given shooter, or is that more of a 'special circumstance' condition; what about for a cohort?

Are all columns relatively equal?
Is there a double peak at say 2k and 6k?
Is there a a single plateau from roughly 1-7k?

~2MOA is where Im hovering for target size.
-------------
Whats your local/general nDA's?

I’m on Long Island.

Highest point is 245’ ASL and we are only 20-30 mikes wide surrounded by water

I don’t have much time to travel for distance much with the kids/family

And local ranges are only 2-300 yards

So 9–10 range days I don’t even pay attention

Not exactly following the intent behind the question.

But, generally speaking you’ll want DA cards in 2000ft increments. And if you’re changing locations or DA’s enough, a kestrel will keep you where you need to be at all times.

If you’re running paper dope…..As far as deciding if you should check environmentals, just keep a card with your dope in 2k increments.

Look at the range and size of your target and look at your data card. If it’s enough difference with the DA you’re currently running to the next on up or down to miss your intended target, that’s your sign that you need to take a DA reading and possibly switch data.