• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report did i screw up?

Travis S

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2004
marietta/macon, ga
So a while back my dad provided me the opportunity to have a rifle built in any flavor I wanted that would fit a la standard bolt r700. Would be for up to 1Kyds and punching paper only. Here's what I chose and who I chose to do it.
Cal: 6.5 swede, barrel contour: #7 heavy, 26". Brand- smiths choice. Stock: hs precision fully adj.
Now here's the dilema. There is another lr shooter at the range telling him the swede can't do it and that the new lapua round is the cats ass period. I think he's doubting my choice in caliber. What say you?

Re: did i screw up?

Take the 6.5 Swede and have at it. I started 1k Benchrest in factory class with a stock M700 Varmint in .260 and then later had the gun built into a Light Class bench gun chambered in 6.5x284. There was several at our range shooting 6.5 Swede and doing it well.
Heck there was one crazy guy who shot a "real" 6.5 Swede Mauser in 1k Factory Class. I think he did use some Mexican Match rounds where he swapped the mil spec ball projectile with a SMK. Mr. Mauser would have liked to have seen this rig. A military original 6.5 Mauser with a Leupold Target Scope sitting on top.
The Crazy Guy won factory class most of the time!

Neighbor shares a Swede with me. Highly customized...big axle barrel and Aussie action. Shoots in the .1's most of the time. Likes the AMAX 140's. Great cartridge.

Thanks guys. I think i'l print the specs for "proper" modern swede loads/ ballistics and same for the lapua to show him I'm not crazy.

No. Definitily no. The 6.5 Swede is not only effective, it is somewhat more energeting than the .260 rem, which is a widely accepted 1000yd comp chambering.

I chose it for the versatility. Can be uploaded to almost 6.5X284 specs for anything less to spare the barrel. Was considering the 6.5X284 but decided against it because of the throat erosion. Yes I understand the 284 could be loaded down as well.

I say he is an idiot and has no real idea
wink.gif