• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Did you know about Erik Cortina's other YouTube Channel?

Going to check this out later, thanks for sharing!

The CPS primer seater is one of my most valued pieces of reloading equipment, it took the most miserable part of my reloading process (priming by hand) and actually made it fun.

PS - will be reaching out to you soon about the CPS Christmas giveaway, I haven't forgotten our deal ;)

I am going to watch this video a second time actually. Lots of nerd info in there. Too much to soak up in one casual viewing.

I watched the interview yesterday.

Good stuff.

Reactions: orkan
sounds like a limp wrist problem I am new to reloading but 3k rounds loaded and even my cheap Chinese rcbs hand primer has not yet been unable to prime a round some a little harder than it should , nor have they failed to go off because they were seated improperly yet but I am sure someone will want to have it and will be willing to pay 600 dollars for it , on that I know of a prince of a foreign land who needs 500 dollars from you to raise enough to get a lawyer to get his billions back from a cousin .

sounds like a limp wrist problem I am new to reloading but 3k rounds loaded and even my cheap Chinese rcbs hand primer has not yet been unable to prime a round some a little harder than it should , nor have they failed to go off because they were seated improperly yet but I am sure someone will want to have it and will be willing to pay 600 dollars for it , on that I know of a prince of a foreign land who needs 500 dollars from you to raise enough to get a lawyer to get his billions back from a cousin .

Did you even watch the video? lol

....some of the responses :rolleyes:

...maybe I'm clueless, but I took it for elaborating on the significance of the ignition phase of firing and all of the variables that influence it and how that contributes to the whole sequence of events that send that projectile downrange. Sure, it gets into the nth realm of what some call "nit picking", but others see it as part of the "Total Quality Management (TQM)" of a process. Yes, a $600 primer seating tool is mentioned, but it's just a tool that features capabilities that allow for greater control over their functional part/process that subsequent processes depend on to perform their function. How much different is the $600 primer seater than the $$$ Prometheus powder measuring device some use?

...for those endeavoring to attain the highest level of achievement in the sport (competition), these amounts for tools may not be considered unreasonable to them. How many have ever really considered measuring their cases primer pocket depth and their primers, or the effects of primer anvil "crush" on its effectiveness in flame production? For those that cannot afford tools of that magnitude, the "concept and rationale" discussed was obtained for free and can be applied as best as possible with the tools on hand (and their inherent limitations). For many, "just good enough" became a potential "just a little bit better than before" with this knowledge.

I for one thank both EC and GD for this interview and the sharing of knowledge, kudos to you gentlemen.

...let the flaming begin, I don't sunburn easily....

Not a huge fan of Cortina usually, however @orkan and him had a great conversation (not interview!) And I'm probably gonna change my tune on him.

Really interesting information. I used to tumble with rice when my old walnut media was "worn out" and eventually got into wet tumbling.

With rice, can you explain you setup (briefly) ? I actually used to put a bit of brasso polish in. Worked a treat. Not sure it was smart to do, as it may have effected the brass chemically ??

Edit.. http://www.primalrights.com/library/articles/clean-brass-with-rice found it. Time to read.

I took it for elaborating on the significance of the ignition phase of firing and all of the variables that influence it and how that contributes to the whole sequence of events that send that projectile downrange.
That exactly describes the significance of the video. Thank you. We didn't even get into the higher end really complicated stuff. Just the simplest introduction to ignition we could come up with.

So, after R&D and other associated costs how many units do you need to sell before you start making a profit.

I had to quit watching at if Lapua doesn't make the brass don't shoot it. Same guy, "DON'T NECK SIZE!'.

This $10 part lasted me 10,000 times 22-250 to .300 H&H. Just saying.

Screenshot_20211212-092556.png

Last edited:
So, after R&D and other associated costs how many units do you need to sell before you start making a profit.

I had to quit watching at if Lapua doesn't make the brass don't shoot it. Same guy, "DON'T NECK SIZE!'.

View attachment 7759362

Well……you shouldn’t be neck sizing.

No one winning matches does that anymore.

Reactions: BassinDmax
Looks like K&M has a similar concept patent dating back to 1989. Even requires Lee shell holders. It is not super heavy duty and requires your hand but it is the same concept for competition.

I’m definitely going to pick one up after the holidays. I hate hand priming now that my sons going to shoot matches this summer
It will definitely save time and add more consistenty to the process

View attachment 7759362
To each his own, priming on the press fucking blows, tried it and hated it.. also went the hand primer route as well and it also fucking sucked.. The only thing I prime on press is pistol with the Dillon RL1100. So yes, I now have one of those 600 dollar primer tools that everyone seems to loathe, but I happen to like it alot and won't prime my rifle cartridges any other way.. Now if I could just get Greg to donate me a second one for my large rifle primers so I can be even lazier and not have to swap anything out, then I'd be set!

Now if I could just get Greg to donate me a second one for my large rifle primers so I can be even lazier and not have to swap anything out, then I'd be set!
Done. PM me your shipping address.

May the Lords blessings shine on you, and may you recognize His wishes and let his will be done through you. Bless others, as you have been blessed by Him.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube

Been in the green for years, but thanks for your concern for my financial well being.

We have ammo manufacturers that have primed over 2 million cases on a single CPS.

If you ever get to a point where you're on a plateau of performance that you can't seem to free yourself from, you know where to find the information and equipment that will do it.

God Bless.

I found the talk an interesting look further down the reloading rabbit hole than where I am now. As with anything in life better tools make the job easier, faster and more accurate.

Thank you for the information.

Looks like K&M has a similar concept patent dating back to 1989. Even requires Lee shell holders. It is not super heavy duty and requires your hand but it is the same concept for competition.

It people like you who ruin peopl on here from sharing there knowledge with us

I hate using this line but. Go be poor somewhere else. If you don’t have anything decent to add to this discussion move along

Done. PM me your shipping address.

May the Lords blessings shine on you, and may you recognize His wishes and let his will be done through you. Bless others, as you have been blessed by Him.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube

Shout out to Greg, Thank you sir!! Couldn't ask for anything better than that for Christmas!!

Not much of a comparison between the two products.

I have three different priming options and compared to PR's product they suck and always have hassles.

I'm just a poor who's been on press priming (LnL) since day one. I did order a FA hand primer for xmas since I don't want to deal with switching the press over to large primers. It's supposed to be click adjustable for depth, so I'm hoping it good enough. Not sure what I should be looking for on depth, though. Should I try to measure a certain depth below flush?

I'm gonna make a run at this precision thing in a gas gun in the new year. Got a forster FL size, sinclair mandrel, prime with the FA thing, and some decent bullets to start with. Oh, and a criteron barrel. Wish me luck. .5moa is my goal.

Since it's a theme here I guess I will post my impressions of priming as a whole.
I've reloaded tens of thousands of rounds just over the past few years alone. I don't think I've ever had a 'click no bang' when using a variety of priming tools.

Does it work? Yes. Absolutely.

It hasn't been until last year sometime that I started chasing ammo perfection. I didn't even own a good chronograph until last year. In between then and now I'm learning a lot.
About two or three days ago I did a ten shot string and had an SD of 4.8 fps. Previously with that rifle and load I got a 1/4 moa group using that load.

All that said I'm definitely still learning. I'm a work in progress by every measure. That said I'm learning tons.

While I don't know the details of it, to me when you get down to brass tacks "priming" is like the jet nozzles on the end of the space shuttle. Where they get put in relation to the ground or each other matters.

Will a $600 primer be needed to shoot cans in the back yard? Probably not. But if you are chasing groups and SD's or something else precision oriented I can definitely see how it can help to control the priming of cases.

In the course of my learning, two years ago you couldn't convince me to spend thousands of dollars on an annealer (or other stuff) but today I have that stuff on my radar for sure.

If you are a "if I can hit a baseball at a hundred yards I'm happy" kind of shooter there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If however you want to shoot a baseball at 800 yards then to me nothing is off the table.

I am a fan of Erik Cortina. I have to say the more I hear about this tool, the more I would like to see one first hand and try it, to see what the fuss is about. I’m a lover of good tools and this one has me intrigued. I am sure someone at our range has one by now.

1D886384-C136-418D-B02C-BA45ED44B047.jpeg

Reactions: Darkside-Six
I have a CPS and love it for how quickly I can prime brass and how consistent it seats. It's the fastest and accurate tool I've found. I have a 21st Century hand seater that has .0005" increment settings. I can seat primers just as consistent but at a fraction of the speed of the CPS. I use the hand seater when load testing and the CPS the rest of the time.

For kicks and giggles I decided to test the seating depths. I went to the range with my Dasher and rounds from .003" to .010" seated primers. I'm using Alpha brass, CCI450's, Barnes 112's, 31.5 grains of Varget in a 26" barrel. I had five shots of each with a couple having seven. 006 and .009 were only three shots each and only two each registered on the labradar. The rest registered every shot. Seating depths were measure with a precision dial gauge with an adapter I made for the case rim. Each depth measurement was confirmed multiple times for consistency.

This needs more testing if I wanted to go further with it. Those .7's are larger than most every time I shoot this rifle. Last column is SD/ES.

0.003"0.327"28423.0/5
0.004"0.366"28454.5/11
0.005"0.491"28455.9/14
0.006"0.292"28405.8/8
0.007"0.75"28424.9/14
0.008"0.72"7.3/20
0.009"0.442"28443.1/4
0.010"0.276"28347.3/17

Reactions: Hkmiller and orkan
Where do you start your depth measurement from? Is it from the case head? I read your post about the rim and an adapter, but I guess what I'm saying is are your measurements from a primer flush to the case head or from a fully seated primer and this is crush measurements?
I have a CPS and love it for how quickly I can prime brass and how consistent it seats. It's the fastest and accurate tool I've found. I have a 21st Century hand seater that has .0005" increment settings. I can seat primers just as consistent but at a fraction of the speed of the CPS. I use the hand seater when load testing and the CPS the rest of the time.

For kicks and giggles I decided to test the seating depths. I went to the range with my Dasher and rounds from .003" to .010" seated primers. I'm using Alpha brass, CCI450's, Barnes 112's, 31.5 grains of Varget in a 26" barrel. I had five shots of each with a couple having seven. 006 and .009 were only three shots each and only two each registered on the labradar. The rest registered every shot. Seating depths were measure with a precision dial gauge with an adapter I made for the case rim. Each depth measurement was confirmed multiple times for consistency.

This needs more testing if I wanted to go further with it. Those .7's are larger than most every time I shoot this rifle. Last column is SD/ES.

0.003"0.327"28423.0/5
0.004"0.366"28454.5/11
0.005"0.491"28455.9/14
0.006"0.292"28405.8/8
0.007"0.75"28424.9/14
0.008"0.72"7.3/20
0.009"0.442"28443.1/4
0.010"0.276"28347.3

Last edited:
That's full depth. I measured overall height of each primer and then the cup height as well. .005" is fully seated with zero crush.

Lol, I never told anybody not to buy a $600 primer seater. But you do realize it is for tier 1 competition. I would literally have to load 600,000 rounds to make it worth while for me and I doubt it would make me a better shooter. But it costs about as much as a new Remington 700 coming off the line now if you need help justying a $600 primer seater. Happy now, lol. We have our share of butt hurt Prima Donnas'. Go be stupid here.

But you do realize it is for tier 1 competition
I’m the inventor, and I can plainly tell you it was designed to make priming easy, fast, and as precise as possible. That’s not a need that is exclusive to competition. I don’t compete at all, yet can tell you it’s a very important part of my handloading ecosystem.

Every other high end tool costs more than our CPS… so let’s not act like it’s expensive, in a sport where you can spend $500 on a single trigger in one rifle. This tool will prime every case you load for many generations of shooters.

So @parshal if I'm reading your chart correctly, .004 and .003 are not fully seated.. Looked like .003 yielded your best results..

Lol, I never told anybody not to buy a $600 primer seater. But you do realize it is for tier 1 competition. I would literally have to load 600,000 rounds to make it worth while for me and I doubt it would make me a better shooter. But it costs about as much as a new Remington 700 coming off the line now if you need help justying a $600 primer seater. Happy now, lol. We have our share of butt hurt Prima Donnas'. Go be stupid here.

Stop bashing companies in the industry, as well as commercial supporters of the site.

They make time to post here and instances like this is what drives them away. Hurting the community as well as this website.

Don’t post again in this thread with something negative. Otherwise, I’ll switch over to the moderator account and fix you. And that’s something I really don’t want to do.

Feel free to post constructive criticism or arguments if you have them. If not, don’t just bash the product because of the price.

I have a Bald eagle seater that I'll try some of your info on if I can. I suspect it may not be as strong as your design though. I don't know for certain. It was an interesting video.

Gosh the people in this community some times. People like @orkan innovate, do research and mentor and don't ask for a thing in return. They just want folks to reach their goals. Watch the video, he never once says "buy my product". We are blessed to have people like him in our community. I wish more people realized it. I don't have a CPS but I hope to some day.

I liked the show. It reminded me about some stuff I knew about but had never really coalesced in my pea brain insomuch as thinking of both sides of it as the `system`, and that makes sense when you look at it that way. With the primer tools I`ve tried, I am not overly impressed with any of them, they work, some are a bit more finicky than others, some a lot more, some break easier than others, they all wear. I may break down and give the CPS tool a shot yet, just spent a pile on a few other items in the last month, so, will wait til after Xmas. When I look at all the primer tools I`ve bought in the last 40 yrs, I`ve spent over the price of it by now, likely 200 on Lee`s, 100 on a Forster, 100 on an FA, 50 on a Hornady, 100 on two RCBS`s, 100 on a 21st Century.

Reactions: r.tenorio671
Over the years, there have been several (read that almost all) categories of equipment where I use what would normally be considered “top shelf” equipment.

At least top shelf until you hit the highest price tier that is noticeably higher.

One of the most recent times is with 905nm laser rangefinders (pretty much anything under $5k is 905nm). After being disappointed in some way, shape, or form by ever laser (from sigs to terrapins), I’ve finally picked up a 1550nm laser.

I did the same with priming tools a couple years ago. Tried many and put off paying $600 for the CPS. Just like the laser, I eventually got tired of messing with what I call “consumer grade” tools and purchased the CPS.

In every one of these situations, I expected to have buyer’s remorse. And not once has that happened.

I understand everyone has a budget and/or priorities, and those take precedence. But if you can afford the CPS…..just do it. You won’t regret it.

I’ll have one of @orkan ’s new “PrimeWhere” tools soon and I’m expecting the same quality.