• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Diet for success in the heat?

adam135

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2010
B.C. Canada
I will admit, I'm no Olympian, but for the last 2 years I have been improving my fitness. I've modelled my fitness regime lightly off of the Ranger Physical Fitness Test. I can run the 2 mile in 13:30, still working on the rest. I'm 5'11'' and I have shed 20lbs from 195 to 175. I still have some fat to burn but I am a bit baffled by my fatigue in the heat. I did the 24hr Sniper Challenge in Utah last year. I hydrated a lot throughout the event, of course, but I still had bad hydration/nutrition issues near the end. It taught me a big lesson and I have been keenly aware of the value of hydration and nutrition ever since.
My endurance in the heat has gotten mildly better since Utah, but it is still nowhere near where I'd like to be. If I were to imagine operating in Iraq in full kit, I'm fairly sure I'd succumb to the heat, but I'd like to be in the condition to do so.
Those of you that have had, and do operate in hot climates, would you please share your tips on the nutrition and fitness success you've had to perform better?

Some may argue but from personal experience and large amounts of physical output natural carbs, electrilites and water are your friend. Less then 10% calories should be protein as it will dehydrate you very quickly.
Many people think that 10-20% cal by protein is too low but I feel that my body performs better staying hydrated with lower protein then higher protein diet while being dehydrated... because once you get to the point of dehydration it is hard to come back in a timely manner.

Just my .02

Pedi- lite for kids is a great thing to sip on a few days before as large physical event in the heat....

Protein is still necessary, just make sure you stay on top of your hydration. But as a rule I agree on the easy to digest carbs and water more than protein. I too use Pedialyte cut 50/50 with water for endurance events. However your best friend will be acclimatization, more so than diet. Everyones body responds differently to stress (heat or not) you need to see what diet works best for you.

I checked out Pedialyte and it looks like something I should try. Do you guys have an example of easy to digest carbs? I've found licorice to be a helpful snack on the go. Some other things I have tried have hurt my stomach but I've never had a problem with licorice.

I bicycle alot in the heat. Starting out early at 0600 can still see me finish in temperatures approaching 100. You do get some acclimatiation after a while and the heat isn't so bad. I will say over 95-100 degrees it is really tough to excersize. I use a product call Cytomax mixed with water. and a lot of water. A lot of water. Salt is consumed as I need it or want it in my diet, I have no high blood pressure issues. I also use energy Gu's or gels but I like the Hammer brand. I do not like having much in my stomach in the heat. But I do need something.

GU's hurt my stomach. I only recently found out about the Hammer brand. I should give them a try, they do seem popular. I live on Vancouver Island in B.C. and our climate is really mild, so it's rare that we get very hot. Then I travel, the heat crushes me. Any idea how long it takes on average to acclimate?

I suspect that I just have to be more disciplined on my water intake. I try to just push through but I can't help but feel lethargic. Pain is something that's manageable compared to your body just going to sleep. I'm sure if i keep trying I will continue to improve though.

Hydration needs to start days before the event. Pee clear often. A gallon a day is a start. During the event, drink constantly- don't wait until you're thirsty.

A single-day event doesn't need much food. But look at the Paleo diet. Eat how a caveman would eat: meat, fruit, veggies, nuts. Processed foods are bad- they will give you a high and a low. When you eat paleo, you feel energized after you eat. If you eat carbs, grains, corn, candy- you will get the carb buzz, then need a nap.

And you live where there is high humidity, you have to allow your body/clothing to breath. I would think gear for you is important. When I went to Panama it only took a few day to acclimate. In the desert or altitude it is going to take longer. Altitude is an ass kicker. Be advised, you might feel cool, you are losing water through aspirating too.

As others have said:

The best way to train for heat (and humidity) IMO is to train IN heat (and humidity).

GU's hurt my stomach. I only recently found out about the Hammer brand. I should give them a try, they do seem popular. I live on Vancouver Island in B.C. and our climate is really mild, so it's rare that we get very hot. Then I travel, the heat crushes me. Any idea how long it takes on average to acclimate?

I suspect that I just have to be more disciplined on my water intake. I try to just push through but I can't help but feel lethargic. Pain is something that's manageable compared to your body just going to sleep. I'm sure if i keep trying I will continue to improve though.

It takes in the vicinity of two years to become fully acclimatized to a geographical area----what I mean is, say you live in Maine, and move to Texas-Then it will take about two years for you to fully acclimatize to the weather in Texas. Until then, the heat and humidity will kick your a$$. You can help this process by remembering that when you sweat, you lose electrolytes as well as water. Water, by itself, can actually leach your system to the point of toxicity. You can dehydrate while drinking copious amounts of water. I use powerade-zero, and supplement with Emergen-C, easily found at Walmart in the supplements aisle. I drink water too, but not to excess. If you were to move to Maine from Texas, then the winters would be very hard on you for the first two years.

Having said that, you will partially acclimatize in a few weeks, but it will not be overnight. This is why it is important to understand the principles of hydration and what your body needs to replace what is lost to sweat. I sweat very heavily, and in one day of the heat in Houston, when I dry my black jeans out, they are white and crusted with salt----that is how much electrolytes I need to replace. If I drink Emergen-C and Powerade-Zero, about half of what I consume, and drink water/un-sweet tea for the other half, I use about 2-3 gallons---yes, you read that right---in a day, and I can function in the heat. If I don't, then I get horrible head-aches, and have seen the beginnings of heat stroke.

As far as what to eat, I can't advise you on that, but I like to eat breakfast type foods in the hottest of weathers, as they seem to sit nicely and digest well. Heavy meals can really sink me in the hot weather.

I checked out Pedialyte and it looks like something I should try. Do you guys have an example of easy to digest carbs? I've found licorice to be a helpful snack on the go. Some other things I have tried have hurt my stomach but I've never had a problem with licorice.

Pretzels...carbs and salt...prolly need a shot of water too..:)

Lotta water, carbs, protein but not a lot of fat. At least that always made me feel better. Any of those "stick to your rib" meals are gonna make you feel heavier, slower and hotter. From my experience anyway. I liked those GNC gel packs when working really hard and drinking lots of water, say, doing timed road marches. Most times I like Gatorade to supplement the water, along with decent meals.

I always had a summer diet and a winter diet living in the South. Summer diet just incorporated more fresh foods, fruits and vegetables when possible, less potatoes and meats. But still made way for the good BBQ though!

My wife is losing a lot of weight, she's working out and she drinks these diet shakes. Safeway generic Slimfast I think. There's another, Glucerna, and then there's also Pedialyte. They are all good to get vitamins from if you are dieting and feel you aren't getting them elsewhere. Don't overdo those shakes though either, its the cals that count. I like to have one if I know I'm not gonna get to eat that day.

I ride and have ridden bicycles A LOT in the heat. Also, competing all over the country, you get lots of data points on/from guys who are traveling from their respective homes to the race sites. I am always amazed at how much of a toll the heat (and humidity) take on people who are not from warm climates. As others have reported, this is by far the determining factor for successfully dealing with the heat. I realize this is not the question, but wanted to opine. Another fairly well known fact is that lean folks have better heat regulation. Seems like the OP is already fit/lean, but this is a huge issue.

Anything you can do to keep your core temperature down is a plus. Something simple like being sure the fluids you are drinking are quite cold is a great idea - freeze your camelback bladder, freeze your water bottles beforehand, stock your ice chest with more ice and fluids than you'd possibly need. If you are requied to carry everything, even more planning is required.

I'd do some experimentation with all sorts of sports drinks/fluids/gels/bars/etc. This industry is so big now, that you will be able to find something that works for you. You may need a little practice to get used to eating gels, but give it a chance, they do work. Give your stomach and body a chance to get used to these sports foods and I think you'll find something that works.

Finally, with athletes that I coach, I emphasize the importance of a fueling plan. Too many times athletes fail to fuel correctly becuase they get caught up in competition or are otherwise distracted from fueling. You cannot make up for missed fueling, especially in the heat. You need to make a plan and stick to it. I am new to competition shooting, but I imagine all the best shooters have a plan about how they will execute a match/stage/etc. The same needs to be done for fueling.

Lotta water, carbs, protein but not a lot of fat. At least that always made me feel better. Any of those "stick to your rib" meals are gonna make you feel heavier, slower and hotter.

This has been my experience as well. "Heavy" meals are a big no-go for me; my body is too busy allocating blood to the task of dissipating heat, and that doesn't leave much remaining for the task of digestion. Small, light meals seem to work best, and low-fat/high-carb/moderate-protein seems to work the best (which is normally how I shift my calorie allocation during physical exertion).

Obviously, hydration is important, and this is about more than just water intake. Maintaining a proper electrolyte balance is extremely important; I can't handle a steady intake of sports drink, but 3 units of water per 1 unit of Gatorade (or similar) seems to work well as long as I'm also getting some sodium and potassium from my food.

If you get thirsty or hungry at any point, you're probably done. The trick is in understanding the required rate of food and liquid consumption, and in picking up your body's signals and regulating your effort accordingly.

Finally, if I can keep my head cool, I can perform much better. In dry climates, a wet hat or a wet rag underneath my hat works wonders.

Last edited: