• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

difference between hard cases?

spaco

Private
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2012
cambridge, England
Any body know the difference between the pelican 1750 and the pelican im3300.
I have been on the website but it doesn't really say? Very similar size and weight
Im not sure which one to get to protect my pride and joy
cheers ta
Spaco

Re: difference between hard cases?

The only significant difference I've noticed is the 1750 has 4 latches to the im3300's 6 latches. The im3300 has 2 additional ones on each short end of the case where the 1750 does not.

The Pelican is the 1730 and the Storm case is the im3300. I believe Pelican owns Storm cases now and that's why they are listed as the Pelican Storm im3300.

I do believe that the Storm line is lower grade then the Pelican line. Pelicans are watertight, dustproof and crush proof, Storms are only watertight.

How can a case be "watertight" but not "dustproof"?

I like the storm line better- they feel more "plush" to me. Handles are nicer, latches are nicer and the plastic seems to be of a more refined resin.

Might be worth knowing, the price difference from B&H Photo (best prices I've found thus far) is about $4.50.

Both are good but the Storm cases are better than the Pelican.

the 'IM" designation is what you want.

Also, do yourself a favor - upgrade to PE foam from the standard foam. It is what the .mil cases spec and the only type of foam McMillan will ship with their cased rifles.

You can read about the different foam types, order foam to fit the case from experts, and get a good overall price from these guys:

http://www.cases2go.com/

more about foam:

http://www.cases2go.com/cushioning_101.asp

Call them - they are good on the phone about making sure you get exactly what you need. Since you are going to do empty case + foam to get the good stuff (PE), you can order a second or third set of the lower side 2 layers of foam and cut your case for multiple rifles/systems, then swap the foam in about 30 seconds.

Cutting the PE - ignore the advice that says get an electric knife. I used a Boner from Chicago Cutlery, hit it with the steel about every 14 inches of cutting, and it did a fantastic job.

the Hardigg Storm cases have better latches, better wheels, 2 additional latches on the ends, better protection of the latches, and a tad more interior room. Also there are reports of the Pelican plastic shattering in cold conditions but not of the Hardigg.

I have both, and the Pelican is a nice case, but the Hardigg is way better.

Oh and if you find yourself on that 200+ page thread on BARF.com re: foam cutting, every bit of that is about cutting the standard foam, which I recommend you pass on. You can reference that thread for equipment layout if you want, but no need to build a hot wire cutter for PE.