• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Differences in Bushnell Elite Tactical LRTS and Bushnell Forge

BlueFalcorn

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2019
Hi all,

Can anyone speak articulately to the differences between these scopes? The LRTS has the G3 Reticle and the Forge has the Deploy Mil tree style. Other than that, the Forge has locking elevation, but does not have have rainguard (both have exo barrier). I am looking at the 4.5-18 in the LRTS and 3-18 in the Forge. It looks like I can get the Forge for less, and I don’t know that I will be missing out on anything.

This would be mostly used for target shooting (PRS/F-Comp style stuff locally) and a little bit of hunting (deer). Whatever way I go, I plan to pick up two of them (one for a 30-06 and another 6.5 Creedmoor).

Thanks.

Last edited:
The LRTS is manufactured by LOW in Japan. I've had the opportunity to use a buddy's LRTS (4.5-18 non-illum) in a match and during practice and it's a great scope. There are a few reviews of this scope online that do a good job of highlighting it's strengths.

IIRC the Forge is made by a Chinese OEM, possibly the same one Athlon is using for the Ares BTR scopes, since they seem very similar in features and appearance (that's a guess, on my part only, not something I've seen discussed somewhere). The glass is probably very good for the price.

I think the Forge is probably a nice scope and a good value at the price, but if the LRTS is within your budget I would absolutely choose it.

Forge is their new scope line that is made in China if memory serves me right.

LRTS is Japanese.

LRTS in some share it for had been around for several years do it is a known quantity.

Forge is kinda new. Off hand, it looks similar to Athlon Ares BTR it maybe Hawke Frontier, but I would need to look more carefully to be certain.

ILya

The LRTS is manufactured by LOW in Japan. I've had the opportunity to use a buddy's LRTS (4.5-18 non-illum) in a match and during practice and it's a great scope. There are a few reviews of this scope online that do a good job of highlighting it's strengths.

IIRC the Forge is made by a Chinese OEM, possibly the same one Athlon is using for the Ares BTR scopes, since they seem very similar in features and appearance (that's a guess, on my part only, not something I've seen discussed somewhere). The glass is probably very good for the price.

I think the Forge is probably a nice scope and a good value at the price, but if the LRTS is within your budget I would absolutely choose it.
not one this brand but is the BTR and ETR made in same place ? I have never used a BTR but have a ETR and looking to pick one up very impressed for the dollar figure

not one this brand but is the BTR and ETR made in same place ? I have never used a BTR but have a ETR and looking to pick one up very impressed for the dollar figure

The Ares BTR and ETR are completely different scopes (BTR on top, ETR below), but yes both are made in China, probably by the same OEM. From what I understand the ETR is very nice for a Chinese manufactured scope. @koshkin is far more knowledgeable than I about this sort of thing, and I'd bet he can speak about the specific differences and quality of both scopes.

6decd801-3d4a-41f5-bbfe-d610638d307b-jpeg.6985171

Pis is from this thread: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/ares-btr-vs-ares-etr-size-comparison-only.6916042/

Last edited:
Reactions: Jknox1030
Okay let's not get carried away. OP, from the two only scopes you are considering, you should swing for the LRTS. If you can afford it, I say do it. I have one and it is an excellent scope. While I have never handled or looked through the forge line, I would still be comfortable to say that the LRTS is far superior. It also very proven to be a bomb proof scope with great features.

I would go with Japan.
I do have a Ares BTR and it’s spot on, and works flawless so far.

Doug at camerland ny is going to start selling the lrts for 749.00. No way would I consider the forge when I could purchase a low made optic for that price.

Reactions: Bender and 260284
Doug at camerland ny is going to start selling the lrts for 749.00. No way would I consider the forge when I could purchase a low made optic for that price.

Wow....that's an incredible price

I just wish that I could get it in a higher power like 25 I own a LHRSI and I love it great scope just lacks enough power for me at long range .

Thanks all for the replies. It sounds like the consensus is the LRTS. Likely will go that route and let you all know how it goes.

We've received confirmation that the shipment is on the way. We are accepting orders to ship the week of July 8th on the 2 Bushnell LRTS 3-12x44 models @ $749.99

I have a little time with the Forge, I purchased one from Midway on sale for right at $500 if I recall correctly. I put it on my dads Vudoo, so an extremely accurate rifle. The optics are very good, the scope is holding zero perfectly, and was spot on for my normal tracking test ( vertical tracking to max elevation adjustment with a return to zero, vertical tracking to max with random windage thrown in during the vertical, then simply random dialing to test return to zero, all of this with confirmation of travel with the reticle and a tape measure). It is a very nice scope for $500!

My son shot my 223 in a team match with my 4.5-18 LRSTi on Saturday. Targets from 300 to 995 and he was on all day. Took it to 1400 the evening before. I also have a 4.5-18 LRHS. They are great scopes for the $$ and work for PRS and hunting.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
I would go with Japan.
I do have a Ares BTR and it’s spot on, and works flawless so far.
How old is it because I have a 2.5-15-50 forge went to sight it in few weeks ago 3shots with browning safari 180gr federal hunting cartridges the windage turret was just free spinning no clicks r feel I went on line seen how put it back together with speaking to bushnell I did it now it has audible clicks that can be felt and heard waiting for weather to cool off before I shoot it again what do u think about that my luck with bushnell hasn’t been so great but I hope it stays together for several years hunting deer and pigs please tell me what u think

Holy run-on sentence.

Sounds like the screw that holds the turret was just loose.
Push the turret in place, tighten the screw. Done.

Reactions: Bender
Holy run-on sentence.

Sounds like the screw that holds the turret was just loose.
Push the turret in place, tighten the screw. Done.
Thanks sir for such a fast response I really love this scope and how it looks on my rifle do u think the forge is a durable good performing rifle scope that shouldn’t give me anymore problems sorry to bother u and thanks again

Thanks all for the replies. It sounds like the consensus is the LRTS. Likely will go that route and let you all know how it goes.
Sir I have a forge 2.5-15-50 never had one of the elite scopes how do u think they compare to each other thanks

My son shot my 223 in a team match with my 4.5-18 LRSTi on Saturday. Targets from 300 to 995 and he was on all day. Took it to 1400 the evening before. I also have a 4.5-18 LRHS. They are great scopes for the $$ and work for PRS and hunting.
My 9yr old son also shoots a 223 with a Simmons aetec phillipines made I have a Bushnell FORGE on my browning safari 3006 will the forge take the recoil of the 06 without issues in ur opinion sir thanks

I have a little time with the Forge, I purchased one from Midway on sale for right at $500 if I recall correctly. I put it on my dads Vudoo, so an extremely accurate rifle. The optics are very good, the scope is holding zero perfectly, and was spot on for my normal tracking test ( vertical tracking to max elevation adjustment with a return to zero, vertical tracking to max with random windage thrown in during the vertical, then simply random dialing to test return to zero, all of this with confirmation of travel with the reticle and a tape measure). It is a very nice scope for $500!
Sir I’ve got a 2.5-15-50 terrain forge having issues with bushnell in the past just wondering of ur true feelings about how durable the forge is and how long it might last hunting with a safari 3006 shooting federal 180gr cartridges thanks in advance for ur reply

I picked up a 3-18x50 FFP Forge from the recent fire sales for under $500. Put it on an6.5 Creed AR10 and have been extremely impressed with it so far. Have taken it out to 1000 yards and the glass quality is quite good, although there can be a bit of CA in it. Tracks well, feels solid, came with a throw lever, hood, lens caps. Only oddity is the hood and turret screws are all coming loose from getting jarred by a big AR. Loctite took care of that. My only disappointment is that I didn't buy another when I had the chance...

Reactions: kai24
I picked up a 3-18x50 FFP Forge from the recent fire sales for under $500. Put it on an6.5 Creed AR10 and have been extremely impressed with it so far. Have taken it out to 1000 yards and the glass quality is quite good, although there can be a bit of CA in it. Tracks well, feels solid, came with a throw lever, hood, lens caps. Only oddity is the hood and turret screws are all coming loose from getting jarred by a big AR. Loctite took care of that. My only disappointment is that I didn't buy another when I had the chance...not sure if my reply question got to u but here it is again I ask bushnell about doing that they wouldn’t advise me to use LT can u tell me how u used it because if mine comes loose again I will use it on the scope turrets please help thanks

Sir is my message coming to u my fone is acting up not sure if u can see my question thanks again sir

I am using the pink low strength (222MS) version. You can easily break that one loose on those small allen screws. I used a little on the hood threads as well as it kept spinning off while shooting.

Sir I’ve got a 2.5-15-50 terrain forge having issues with bushnell in the past just wondering of ur true feelings about how durable the forge is and how long it might last hunting with a safari 3006 shooting federal 180gr cartridges thanks in advance for ur reply
Forge is rated for much higher recoil than .30-06 FYI.

If you use some light thread lock on those things I'd suggest doing so sparingly, and if it feels like they don't want to budge do not put much pressure on those tiny Allen screws. Warm up the turret with a hairdryer then try again to try and get the locker to release.

I put it back together without any threadlocker just snugged them up real good not to get to crazy lol yet if they work loose again may do the medium blue loctite on them 3screws if come loose again back to bushnell it will go thanks for ur help sir

I know it's a little after the life of this thread, but how is the forge glass compared to the lrhs/lrts?
The 2.5-15 seems about perfect for me just need to look at the FOV at minimum power first.

I know it's a little after the life of this thread, but how is the forge glass compared to the lrhs/lrts?
The 2.5-15 seems about perfect for me just need to look at the FOV at minimum power first.

In comparing a 2.5-15 Forge to a 4.5-18 LRTS, there is a noticeable difference in image quality. The LRTS is quite a bit better, with much better CA control and a larger eye box. At similar prices it's no comparison, at some of the past step discounts on the Forge it had value.

Being a Bushnell it probably won’t last very long till u be buying a new all together rifle scope these new Bushnell’s just don’t hold up very long

I’ve got a forge 2.5-15-50 looks great on my rifle just haven’t hunted with it yet

So, you think it is a piece of shit, but you bought one anyway?
Nice.

Do you get to test every scope before purchasing? In every scenario for which you'll use the scope?

I didn't call it a piece of shit, but it's not worth anything close to MSRP or current street pricing (>$700 as best I can tell). This is especially true when the 4.5-18 LRTS can be had for $750. My Forge was $320 all-in after the 29% Bushnell rebate; which was a good value, and a price point for which it performs admirably.

Do you get to test every scope before purchasing? In every scenario for which you'll use the scope?

I didn't call it a piece of shit, but it's not worth anything close to MSRP or current street pricing (>$700 as best I can tell). This is especially true when the 4.5-18 LRTS can be had for $750. My Forge was $320 all-in after the 29% Bushnell rebate; which was a good value, and a price point for which it performs admirably.
You said it was mediocre and compromised: ie a piece of shit. Now you're saying it was a good value.
Make up your mind.

You said it was mediocre and compromised: ie a piece of shit. Now you're saying it was a good value.
Make up your mind.

Uhhh, that's not what mediocre means... If I thought it was a piece of shit, I would've stated it was a piece of shit.

So, let me help you...

Mediocre adjective
me·di·o·cre | \ ˌmē-dē-ˈō-kər \
Definition of mediocre
: of moderate or low quality, value, ability, or performance : ORDINARY, SO-SO

LRTS all day everyday...quite honestly...I prefer the glass in the LRTS series over a NF NXS...as well as the turrets...

Don't have a Forge series but do have Nitro (Korean)...glass in that is very similar to that of a LRTS...but loses out at max 12X juuuuuuust a little in brightness at low light...

I have a 3-18x50 FFP MIL version on my NRL22 rig. It's a good scope for the price I paid (through the Bushnell veterans program). It's got surprisingly good glass - good resolution and contrast, handles stray light quite well (shooting into the evening sun with the included sunshade installed), and almost no barrel distortion to my eye. It shows a bit of CA towards the higher end of the mag range if you get off center of the eye box, but if you stay centered it's not bad at all. It's tracked true enough for me to get hits out to 350 yards (17 MILs of elevation) during matches, and returned perfectly back to zero. I'm happy enough with it that I've got no desire to upgrade for the moment.

I've never looked through an Elite Tactical for comparison, so I'm not much help there.

So, you think it is a piece of shit, but you bought one anyway?
Nice.
Nope it was a replacement for a 3-9-50 Bushnell legend ultra hd I had that went bad just at this time all other rifles are set up with nikon 50mm rifle scopes haven’t needed to hunt with the 06 yet it just looks great on that rifle I’ll let ya know here how it goes wen I do start hunting with it

But so far it has performed as it should just can’t trust a Bushnell quite yet lol the legend was supposed to have been very good went bad in bout a hunting season and a half pissed off I complained to bushnell they replaced first with 44mm nitro that wouldn’t hold zero readily replaced with a 2.5-15-50 forge just can’t waste the time to actually hunt with it yet

Uhhh, that's not what mediocre means... If I thought it was a piece of shit, I would've stated it was a piece of shit.

So, let me help you...

Mediocre adjective
me·di·o·cre | \ ˌmē-dē-ˈō-kər \
Definition of mediocre
: of moderate or low quality, value, ability, or performance : ORDINARY, SO-SO
In my book, low quality means piece of shit. Low value means piece of shit, low performance means piece of shit.
In your book, low quality means acceptable, low value means acceptable and low performance means acceptable.
So. it's acceptable to you, but you're going to bitch about it anyway.
Got it, thanks for the clarification.

In my book, low quality means piece of shit. Low value means piece of shit, low performance means piece of shit.
In your book, low quality means acceptable, low value means acceptable and low performance means acceptable.
I’m not bitching bout it it was free to me I’m just not quite ready to trust it yet all’s I said was it looks good not really ready to give it a performance remark yet bushnell used to be good now they are very low quality that’s why I’m not hunting with it yet

I’m not bitching bout it it was free to me I’m just not quite ready to trust it yet all’s I said was it looks good not really ready to give it a performance remark yet bushnell used to be good now they are very low quality that’s why I’m not hunting with it yet
I wasn't replying to you, but, by all means, rock on.
To call Bushnell low quality and claim they used to be good is quite backwards from what most would say now.
They do, in fact, make some low priced, entry level optics, they also make some nice mid-range and some VERY good mid range optics in the 1200 - 1800 dollar range.

You should consider expanding your book with information from a few dictionaries and thesauruses. There's a reason so many words exist... You should also work on recognizing bitching from statements of negative opinions...

You're taking the low part of the definition too literally, and applying it every listed attribute. To clarify for you, it's a moderate/low optical quality scope that's a low value at current prices. At the previous deep discounts it was a decent value, but not in the same league as the LRTS.