• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Differences in Rem 700 actions...current vs older?

FN in MT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2012
Craig, MT
I'd like to do a few more builds down the road...So have started looking for a couple of donor 700 SA's.

Is there any difference between older and newer actions?

Or is finding the cheapest new 700 at Wally World the easiest route?

Whatever I find will end up getting trued and gone through anyway.

FN in MT

The older ones without the J-lock are generally preferred, that and the trigger change. But as far as I know (and I'm absolutely no expert) the big change was when they went to J-lock which caused some issues with the firing pin spring. hope this helps

I've heard (but have no source but what gunsmiths have told me) that the pre 1977 or so actions had better steel than later actions. I don't know what "better" means in this case. Anyone have any comments on this?

On the older actions (not sure how old), the rear receiver bridge was a bit lower and you have to shim it by .010, or something like that for the newer scope bases. The older actions also lack the anti-bind groove on the bolt. Cosmetically, the older bolt handles tapered to a smaller dia where the bolt knob attaches.

Google "Remington 700 Layne Simpson" and see if his excellent writeup comes up. Edit to add: I looked it up and it is on M14 forum and concerns the 50th Anniversary of the 700. Very informative.

Last edited:
Appreciate the information....I'll check out the Simpson article too.

Simply trying to get educated.

FN in MT

The older ones have butter smooth actions. The polished blue surface wont rust nearly as quickly as the newer matte finishes. I prefer C series and older. That being said I am an old fart. Low speed, high drag.......

The main difference is that the newer they are, the more horrendous the machining.

The old ones have one of the best factory triggers ever made.
Then multiple idiots pointed a loaded rifle at someone, and now we have junk.