• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon 550 only- Tips, Tricks, Process Q&A thread .

Ok cool, that's some good info. It seems my phone doesn't want me to write Forster.... hopefully I've fixed that now. I've had very good luck with my Redding dies over the years in terms of what they produce and their quality, it just seems like Forster is more popular, especially the seating die. Honestly, I'd rather try out some new dies for my single presses and use the existing ones on the dillon for a few reasons, so I may do it that way for most of them but will probably get a Forster seating die also to try out too. Thank you for the information!

So a little off topic but since we've worked out a way to allow me to use the whole room now for my new loading room, I will probably be getting another Dillon or maybe 2 more to complete my room set up. I will always have a 550 and my turret single stage press , but would you rather a 750 or 1050 to do all the stuff that you would want to feed bullets and cases ect and crank out ammo?

Yes to always having a 550. Inexpensive, easy to changeover and use, can produce great ammo. No reason not to.

Personally I think the other question depends on two things:
1.) How much ammo are you shooting? Less than 5k of any one caliber?
2.) What’s your budget for automation and caliber changeovers?

If you shoot 5k or more of 9mm or 223, or you process a lot of 300blk, then a 1050/1100 makes more sense.
If you also easily have the budget for the $3k automation, then yes again.

If you only shoot 1-2k of any one caliber and you shoot a lot of calibers, then 750 is easier, faster, and cheaper. You can also automate the 750 so that works as well for future use.

Tertiary option. If you know you shoot a shit ton of 1 caliber, then an automated Mark 7 is probably the best answer.

Yes to always having a 550. Inexpensive, easy to changeover and use, can produce great ammo. No reason not to.

Personally I think the other question depends on two things:
1.) How much ammo are you shooting? Less than 5k of any one caliber?
2.) What’s your budget for automation and caliber changeovers?

If you shoot 5k or more of 9mm or 223, or you process a lot of 300blk, then a 1050/1100 makes more sense.
If you also easily have the budget for the $3k automation, then yes again.

If you only shoot 1-2k of any one caliber and you shoot a lot of calibers, then 750 is easier, faster, and cheaper. You can also automate the 750 so that works as well for future use.

Tertiary option. If you know you shoot a shit ton of 1 caliber, then an automated Mark 7 is probably the best answer.
I really don't shoot enough of one caliber right now to justify it but at the same time I'd sure like to. I wonder if I'm not better off getting a genesys and using that and the 550 but I don't really have much info on the genesys system and how easy it is to change calibers ect... which I can basically have multiple dillons set up and not have to worry with caliber changes.

I think the Mark 7 makes a lot of sense for a really serious USPSA shooter. Someone that shoots 99% 9 mm or .40 only. Like someone that only shoots to shoot the USPSA sport and they spent $7,000 on a race pistol. At that rate a 6 or $7,000 automated Mark 7 wouldn't seem too bad. But if you shoot a lot of other cartridges, the overhead in components is a significant amount of money. It's one thing to have 10 or 20 thousand 9 mm bullets and 4 or 5 cases of primers at $500 a case. But try having that, and expending it in a year for just one of six cartridges and then constantly maintaining that for six different cartridges. Whew.

I will be getting and automation for my 1100 in the next couple months but it's just going to process four or five different types of brass.
Yeah that's why I haven't done it. I mainly want to size brass and and all faster mostly but once I get things set up and use the 550 a little more I should have a better idea too.

Reactions: reubenski
Yeah that's why I haven't done it. I mainly want to size brass and and all faster mostly but once I get things set up and use the 550 a little more I should have a better idea too.

Another thing to keep in mind, is if you are doing a lot of bulk rifle brass prep, the 1050/1100 is going to be so much more user friendly with the extra positions, heft, options, etc.

I'm doing 223 prep on my 750 now all in one go. Casefeeder feeds lubed up cases, deprime in 1, pocket swage in 2 via primer swager, resize and trim in 4, and mandrel in 5. After doing about 5k+ of that this summer, I can easily see the merits of the 1050. IF I ever start doing the 300blk train or shoot more 308, I could see an upgrade. Not sure I want to prioritize funds for automation, but even just hand cranking would be huge.

I would just go out for an hour or two a day and crank the Super 1050. In 2 weeks I had enough ammo for about 4 months, lol.

Another thing to keep in mind, is if you are doing a lot of bulk rifle brass prep, the 1050/1100 is going to be so much more user friendly with the extra positions, heft, options, etc.

I'm doing 223 prep on my 750 now all in one go. Casefeeder feeds lubed up cases, deprime in 1, pocket swage in 2 via primer swager, resize and trim in 4, and mandrel in 5. After doing about 5k+ of that this summer, I can easily see the merits of the 1050. IF I ever start doing the 300blk train or shoot more 308, I could see an upgrade. Not sure I want to prioritize funds for automation, but even just hand cranking would be huge.
Yeah, I guess om more interested in being able to do that when I can/want. When I have down time, in comes in spurts but it doesn't come often now so when it does come, I want to shoot and not be loading so much. Then I also plan on my boys shooting so with 3 dudes shooting, I'm going to go through some ammo. My 7 year old is already to the point where he can put some ammo away in a hurry so

Really appreciate the info. I don't want to do the same thing I did with precision rifle reloading and have to go through so many different things until I figured out what I wanted to do and how to do it if I can help it.

I saw some other stuff in other dillon threads that looked good. The entirely crimson funel being one. Any dillon info is great especially as it relates to the 550 / set up and encorporating the 550 into an entire set up. Given how fast the tools available to us progresses, it's pretty useful to have something like this every 6 months or year for anyone to read through and get lots of good info.

Dude. Buy an 1100 or 1050. Invest heavily in .223.
Yeah that and 9mm is what I'm planning on but definitely mainly 223 and that's why I was looking at the genesys, but only after I got the 550 because for my purposes alone it's probably the best one combined with my turret press and mec Jr for de-prime mainly. Of I could find a used 1050 that was all set up like @padom did, thats the most likely direction id go but thats not so easy to find at a good price.

I think ultimately you won't know what you want until you've had it for a couple of years. You see so many people champion their choices. And then 5 years later they're upgrading. It's going to take you 10 years of wisdom to look back and actually know.
Yeah that's probably true, but I hope I can mitigate it some..... that's why I am strongly considering getting a more production geared set up to add to the 550 so I can kick out my own precision rounds and throw off press, but will also be ready to kick out some ammo when needed for the boys to shoot. Honestly I can load a pretty decent amount of precision ammo with my turret press for my own needs and even put a good bit up for later if it's ammo that I don't mind sitting around for a while of course

Yeah that and 9mm is what I'm planning on but definitely mainly 223 and that's why I was looking at the genesys, but only after I got the 550 because for my purposes alone it's probably the best one combined with my turret press and mec Jr for de-prime mainly. Of I could find a used 1050 that was all set up like @padom did, thats the most likely direction id go but thats not so easy to find at a good price.

I'll never get rid of my 550, as it works as both a single stage, turret, and progressive all in one. Its cheap and easy and awesome lol. Indispensable in the loading room.

There's a dude in PA selling a fully loaded 1100 with everything for 9mm and 223, with Mark 7 automation, bullet feeder, AND the honey badger trim kit with Bosch router all set up, for $6300. Very tempting.

It really sounds like the 550(you have), plus a 1050/1100 is the way to go for you, especially given the future of 3 boys shooting. You invest in 9mm and 223 for the 1100, and everything else can be done on the 550. I can do about 400-500rds an hour of 38/357 or prepped rifle on my 550 with ease, so its still very useable progressive for lower volume stuff, which is how I use it.

I loaded up 120 rounds of 6.5 creed last night in 30 minutes. Really beats the 3 hours it would take when I was using a single stage with a chargemaster. I really don’t miss those days anymore.

I'll never get rid of my 550, as it works as both a single stage, turret, and progressive all in one. Its cheap and easy and awesome lol. Indispensable in the loading room.

There's a dude in PA selling a fully loaded 1100 with everything for 9mm and 223, with Mark 7 automation, bullet feeder, AND the honey badger trim kit with Bosch router all set up, for $6300. Very tempting.

It really sounds like the 550(you have), plus a 1050/1100 is the way to go for you, especially given the future of 3 boys shooting. You invest in 9mm and 223 for the 1100, and everything else can be done on the 550. I can do about 400-500rds an hour of 38/357 or prepped rifle on my 550 with ease, so its still very useable progressive for lower volume stuff, which is how I use it.
Yeah that is tempting but that's right there where a genesys system is that has everything already and it has a lot more ability to do precision due to how it works. The trim set up is the only thing it wouldn't have but the way the automation is on that genesys system looks really sweet.

Reactions: Gustav7
The Genesys hasnt even shipped yet and has no track record.

I dont want to be a beta tester...

The Genesys hasnt even shipped yet and has no track record.

I dont want to be a beta tester...
Yeah that's a really good point. I don't really want to be a beta either. They have a pretty strong record of putting out some top shelf reloading presses though.

So fellas, anything from Inline Fabrication that you guys just absolutely love besides the quick change plate/mounts?

If you plan to have a bunch of toolheads Inlines wall mounting system with toolhead holders are excellent. This is an old picture but I have 2 rows on the wall of toolheads for my 550, another wall with all my 650 toolheads and another wall I'm now filling with Super 1050 toolheads.

When/if you move up to bigger calibers like 500 S&W the powder funnel is larger so you need a different powder die. The outside diameter of the powder die is the same, but the ID is different.

I ordered a 500 conversion for my 550 and for whatever reason I didnt think about it. So my dumbass had to eat shipping 5 days later to order a large powder die.

If you plan to have a bunch of toolheads Inlines wall mounting system with toolhead holders are excellent. This is an old picture but I have 2 rows on the wall of toolheads for my 550, another wall with all my 650 toolheads and another wall I'm now filling with Super 1050 toolheads.

I'm trying to find a rack for toolheads and powder hopper that will fit right into my slatwall that I have around my room. I could put one of the inline Fab wall organizer things and then some of their tool head holders but I may can find a 3d printed ones that will go into my slatwall directly which I would prefer. Definitely have to have something though for 8 tool heads

Speaking of Inline Fab.....

I've been working with Dan with Inline Fabrication to set up my new reloading room. I will post on some other relevant threads also but here's the code for Black Friday Inline Fab . It won't go active until after 5pm Wednesday pacific time.

Code is: BLACKFRIDAY23

15% off site wide

Pretty good time if you are looking to upgrade your set up. I'm definitely going to like the work station and being able to put a vise up there so easily as well as the Bins and input/output stuff they do.

Pretty sweet tool head storage racks. Color coded and embossed to match my dies and all.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231122_210958_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231122_210958_Chrome.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 20
Bump on this as i'm probably going to setup a 550 soon. Only ever used a single stage.

For stick powder i intend to use my autotrickler v3 and pour through funnel on 550. I assume it's not ideal to have the AT sitting on the same bench right next to the press as you might get some movement while working the press while powder is trickling? In that case, i probably need to build a shelf off the wall at the back of the bench, would it be best to have the shelf for the autotrickler setup behind the press to the left?

Edit: i missed that picture from @padom a few posts up where it is setup basically just like i described. That looks to be the ticket?

Bump on this as i'm probably going to setup a 550 soon. Only ever used a single stage.

For stick powder i intend to use my autotrickler v3 and pour through funnel on 550. I assume it's not ideal to have the AT sitting on the same bench right next to the press as you might get some movement while working the press while powder is trickling? In that case, i probably need to build a shelf off the wall at the back of the bench, would it be best to have the shelf for the autotrickler setup behind the press to the left?
Yes I would recommend that. I had 2 chargemasters running on a separate wall mounted shelf and that worked well. I ran them off to the left and I’m a righty and it worked well. I made my own funnel system but I’d recommend one of the fitted ones like Area 419 and adapter

Reactions: wind gypsy

I have my AT about a foot away from my press, on a 3" thick granite slab on top of rubber hi-fi dampers. I can seat and drop, no problems.

I spill more often than I care to admit when I run the funnel on the press. If you're already running two toolheads, I find it better to dump powder while they're off press, captive in a case tray then top with a bullet and slip them into pos 3 to seat while the AT is running the next charge. I end up seating at about the same speed the AT/IP drops powder.

Reactions: memilanuk
I have my AT about a foot away from my press, on a 3" thick granite slab on top of rubber hi-fi dampers. I can seat and drop, no problems.

I spill more often than I care to admit when I run the funnel on the press. If you're already running two toolheads, I find it better to dump powder while they're off press, captive in a case tray then top with a bullet and slip them into pos 3 to seat while the AT is running the next charge. I end up seating at about the same speed the AT/IP drops powder.

How is that any faster than using a single stage with a case ejector? My main intention is to prime, charge, seat on one tool head. I'm comfortable with the sizing quality i get with one pass on a single stage de-capping, sizing, expanding with ball using forster honed dies and in-line case ejector and I don't see how a 550 would be any faster for sizing than that so hoping my main time savings would be in less brass handling during the priming, charging, seating stages. Don't imagine I'd want to charge with powder before priming?

How is that any faster than using a single stage with a case ejector? My main intention is to prime, charge, seat on one tool head. I'm comfortable with the sizing quality i get with one pass on a single stage de-capping, sizing, expanding with ball using forster honed dies and in-line case ejector and I don't see how a 550 would be any faster for sizing than that so hoping my main time savings would be in less brass handling during the priming, charging, seating stages. Don't imagine I'd want to charge with powder before priming?

Depends on your workflow. I can run every step on one toolhead and be time ahead, but if you're going to trim/deburr/tumble/neck lube/use a fancy CPRS primer/whatever other steps you think you need, it's probably at best marginally faster on a progressive. If you're going to run a powder through die and AT, just make sure the handle is down and the ram is up before you dump powder in the case. There's a delicate rhythm of advance shellplate, place case, push forward, place bullet, pull handle, dump charge, lower handle, repeat that I find more irksome than just dumping off press and slipping it in like a single stage. YMMV.

ETA: And the powder bridging. It's harder to catch in the press depending on press height. The DAA 556 funnel bridges way less IME.

For PRS type rifle, I find it's fast for me to decap/size/mandrel on the 550 before a tumble and trim. If I wanted speed, I'd be after (at minimum) a 750 and case feeder.

Last edited:
For sizing it's faster. (I feed the cases on a 550)For actually loading, it's not faster for me. If you are going to prime in the dillon then you can pick up some speed there but not a ton. Fastest way for me is to size and mandrel brass on dillon and then fill cases and load. I will end up dumping powder at some point loading on the dillon and throwing off press. I prefer just getting my brass ready and then seating while throwing powder if I'm trying to do it fast. I generally just fill all my cases ans then go back and seat the bullets after having primed the cases already. On the ugly reloading primer it's very fast and consistent.

For sizing/reprinting on a Dillon I only touch the brass once, I put it in, spin the turret, put another piece in, they fall into the tray at the end. When I’m sizing that’s the only thing I’m doing so the other stations the brass runs through unaffected. May save you some time vs the single stage by touching the piece twice. Food for thought.

For sizing/reprinting on a Dillon I only touch the brass once, I put it in, spin the turret, put another piece in, they fall into the tray at the end. When I’m sizing that’s the only thing I’m doing so the other stations the brass runs through unaffected. May save you some time vs the single stage by touching the piece twice. Food for thought.

I only touch the brass once sizing/de-capping on a single stage currently and I don’t have to index anything. With an in-line fab case ejector the case gets kicked into the tub on its own as my hand is on the way the the shell holder with the next case.

It’s sounding like my best use case may just be for 223 loading with the powder measure and dropping tac/lever/xbr/staball.

Reactions: 03machstock
I only touch the brass once sizing/de-capping on a single stage currently and I don’t have to index anything. With an in-line fab case ejector the case gets kicked into the tub on its own as my hand is on the way the the shell holder with the next case.

It’s sounding like my best use case may just be for 223 loading with the powder measure and dropping tac/lever/xbr/staball.
I size on a single stage than move to the 550 after that to prime, charge, and seat and it works great. I have my AT to the left of the 550 and have no problems with the $5 Dillon funnel on top of the powder die.