• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon 550 modification thread?

greg1147

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Sep 12, 2017
    Virginia
    I am looking for a thread that the operator of a Dillon 550 modified the powder drop from the standard to what I recall was a manual
    drop using a RCBS chargemaster. Did some searches and haven't found anything. Any one else recall seeing this, I believe the post was by a
    machinist or engineer. Nothing on You Tube so far. A link would be great TIA
    Greg

Normally would just be a funnel adapter for the Dillon powder die, dillon, area419 and others make them.

If you are thinking of the rube goldberg FX scale one that was F-class John:

Reactions: moaorbust
    Not the one I remember but similar. The setup he was using had three RCBS Chargemaster's operating to keep up with the press. and he was dumping the powder into a funnel in the powder drop port. Thanks for the response

I have a Lee Powder Thru die in station 2 with a Lee funnel in the top. It isn't fancy but it works and is what I had on hand from running a single stage press years ago.

I put the appropriate powder funnel in the powder die and use my area 419 powder funnel with dillon adapter...the adapter fits nicely innte powder die.

Drop the charge, put the powder cup back on the 120, lower ram, rotate the press, add bullet, raise ram, dump powder and repeat.

It's pretty quick going. I like to run my mandrel in station 1 for a 2nd time. I often do my brass prep and let it sit a while. I feel like the mandrel a 2nd time before loading helps.

I use a 2nd tool head with the sizing die and mandrel when doing my brass prep.

I run a Dillon AT500 powder die with their funnel in my 550 for loading .223. Works great, even w/ Varget. Measure powder on a charge master with a Area 419 pan. Using the uniquetek floating 550 toolhead and their bearing kit. Been very happy with this set up. CBTO has been right on. With Blueridge processed FC range brass, I just run a mandrel in station 1 to set neck tension and seat primer. Station 2 drop powder, station 3 seat bullet and done. SD is 6.
    A8CCF818-8443-4B51-A695-9EBFB03FECFD.jpeg

You can get an adapter to mount the RCBS powder dispenser directly to the Dillon powder die. I even made my own from a piece of PVC pipe. Pretty simple concept.

I run a Dillon AT500 powder die with their funnel in my 550 for loading .223. Works great, even w/ Varget. Measure powder on a charge master with a Area 419 pan. Using the uniquetek floating 550 toolhead and their bearing kit. Been very happy with this set up. CBTO has been right on. With Blueridge processed FC range brass, I just run a mandrel in station 1 to set neck tension and seat primer. Station 2 drop powder, station 3 seat bullet and done. SD is 6.
    View attachment 7910478

I actually kinda like the AT500 funnel better than the 419 funnel on my 550. I do wish it was a little bigger, though.

I actually kinda like the AT500 funnel better than the 419 funnel on my 550. I do wish it was a little bigger, though.
    The price is kinda high but check this one out:

I've got a very early RL550 that Dillon sent me the parts (free!) to upgrade to the RL550B (I think they are at C now ?).
    I have never had an issue with the original powder drop other than with IMR4350 powder, it just don't like that pencil lead looking stuff.
    I normally only use it for pistol rounds and occasionally 223 with 4227 or BLC-2 and it's worked perfectly with those.
    I honestly don't understand why everyone else has trouble ?
    Is it not accurate for you guys...or what ?
    Mine has always been +/- .1 of a grain at most and I constantly check to be sure.

Please, fill a brudda in if you would.

For ball powders, or maybe extremely short-cut extruded, sure. Works well enough for blaster ammo.

For stuff like Varget, RE-15 (back when it was popular), N140, etc. it's more like +/- 0.2 or 0.3 gn - on a good day. Way too big of a swing to be acceptable for a .223 Rem.

I've got a very early RL550 that Dillon sent me the parts (free!) to upgrade to the RL550B (I think they are at C now ?).
    I have never had an issue with the original powder drop other than with IMR4350 powder, it just don't like that pencil lead looking stuff.
    I normally only use it for pistol rounds and occasionally 223 with 4227 or BLC-2 and it's worked perfectly with those.
    I honestly don't understand why everyone else has trouble ?
    Is it not accurate for you guys...or what ?
    Mine has always been +/- .1 of a grain at most and I constantly check to be sure.

Please, fill a brudda in if you would.

You pretty much answered your own question, up there in bold. A lot of rifle loading is done with stick powders.

Just added a Uniquetek Micrometer powder bar kit to drop H335 into .223 for practice ammo. I measured multiple charges on my chargemaster and it was dropping 23gr consistently. With FC range brass processed by Blueridge I run the brass through my Giraud trimmer to chamfer and trim. In the 550 I run the brass through a expander mandrel to open case neck and prime in station 1. Drop powder in station 2 and seat a Hornady 75gr BTHP in station 3. Did a jump test @ 200y this morning from .020-.100 of jump in my Impact / Proof bolt gun. .020 measured .7 and .100 was .6. Larger groups in the middle. Went with .100 jump and load 100 rounds in about 20 min taking my time. This just made my life easier.

Attachments

• 6D3182B4-24ED-46B6-B8C5-9672D507AA42.jpeg
      6D3182B4-24ED-46B6-B8C5-9672D507AA42.jpeg
      493.9 KB · Views: 53
    • A43E02D3-E002-4A82-98B8-29E2949C0F3D.jpeg
      A43E02D3-E002-4A82-98B8-29E2949C0F3D.jpeg
      833.5 KB · Views: 51
    The price is kinda high but check this one out:

Been using it for a while now. Fucking love it. Beats my area419 and all the others.

Reactions: 6.5SH
    Been considering the funnel, how’s it fit next to your seating die? I use Forster and Whidden and I suspect they’ll be too thick. The Whidden measures 1.2”.

Thanks

Been considering the funnel, how’s it fit next to your seating die? I use Forster and Whidden and I suspect they’ll be too thick. The Whidden measures 1.2”.

Thanks

Fits no problem...here it is next to a SAC and Forster....Redding Micrometer seating dies are even slimmer....fits no problem....

I checked with EntirelyCrimson. Whidden dies might not work at 1.2”.
    @padom, it looks like you’ve got the powder die raised pretty high with the Forster; no issues there? My Whidden seater sits 3” tall. Thanks

For the Dillon RL550:
    The maximum compatible die diameter is 1.0” at the largest part of the funnel.
    Under 2.0” height (under the funnel flare), the die clearance is a maximum of 1.25”. However, the height may be usually be higher, this will vary by powder die funnel.

Thanks,
    Austin
    EntirelyCrimson LLC

Last edited:
    I checked with EntirelyCrimson. Whidden dies might not work at 1.2”.
    @padom, it looks like you’ve got the powder die raised pretty high with the Forster; no issues there? My Whidden seater sits 3” tall. Thanks

For the Dillon RL550:
    The maximum compatible die diameter is 1.0” at the largest part of the funnel.
    Under 2.0” height (under the funnel flare), the die clearance is a maximum of 1.25”. However, the height may be usually be higher, this will vary by powder die funnel.

Thanks,
    Austin
    EntirelyCrimson LLC

My powder die is set at the height it properly engaged the Area419 funnel....all I did was put the EC funnel on...works great for 1000s of rounds

Reactions: DellaDog