• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon Toolhead: After-Market Floating Feature

cobbonthecorn

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2012
I am considering my alternatives to producing "more accurate" loaded cartridges. I currently have a Dillon 550 with standard toolheads. I could get a second press, maybe a Forster Co-Ax (for the floating feature), or I could get floating toolheads like the Whidden's. So, I'd like to know are the Whidden heads basically drilled out holes with collars to allow the dies to move in the plane of the toolhead? If so, why aren't people just reaming/drilling out the standard heads and adding collars?

Just do like Lee (Or use the Lee lock rings) and put an "O" ring between the die lock ring and the tool head. Took my runout down to .001+/-.0005. Lots cheaper too.

Just do like Lee (Or use the Lee lock rings) and put an "O" ring between the die lock ring and the tool head. Took my runout down to .001+/-.0005. Lots cheaper too.

Bingo. I've just recently started using a 550, and tried the O-ring deal as it's always worked so well on my Rockchucker. It works just as well on the 550B;)

So just add an o-ring under the die lock ring. I'll try that. Have you noticed any difference running only one station at a time? Or doesn't it matter?

I have an order going in tomorrow so I'll get some Lee lock rings with the integral o-ring. (3 for under $4) Just to clarify, for those using the o-ring lock rings, do you let the head float as built? (With the pins as delivered from the factory) As a follow-up I have found some posts that suggest different results are expected when running single vs multi-station. Not a problem for me since I decap and wet tumble, then size, then hand load, and finally decap (to make sure the primer hole is clear), seat and crimp. In the last operation I will skip one cartridge to get only one cartridge in an operation at any time. Results should be interesting.