• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dirt Bikes

SouthFork

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 28, 2006
Kalispell, MT
Need some help. Dirt bikes. I know nothing about them. I do know that I can fit one on my raft trailer and use it as a shuttle rig after I build a bracket to attach it. Mostly going to be driving a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. Its a county road so I will probably have to get a motorcycle endorsement. But that is beside the point.

Looking at getting something that is decent as I don't want to be fixing it etc. I am 6'2 and 275. I have property I can ride on to figure it out and will definitely video the first ride so you can all laugh at me.

I just took the training wheels of my bicycle last week so I figured I might as well upgrade.

What should I get?

Be prepared for 1000 choices.

There is no "best".

My last was a race-modified WR250F, my daughter uses it now around my ex's property and teaching friends to ride. It was more than enough for the riding we did. I had a YZ450 at one point and that was just stupid for trail riding. I was about 250lbs in those days.

Reactions: Bender
275 lbs and only 6'2" ?
Maybe a Harley fatbob with the 114 engine ?
I have a 56 inch chest and a 38inch waist. Now spend my days building houses. I can be up and down on scaffolding or ladders quicker than most guys. Oh and I lift. Cant help how I was built.

Do you want to haul ass, go over jumps and throw monster rooster tails, or more basic dirt road transportation.

All kinds of choices for the first. For the second, something like this would get you around:

Well, just like asking "What gun should I get?", you're going to get 100 opinions, but here's one from someone with nearly 60 years of off-road motorcyling experience, as well as being a former Motorcycle Safety Foundation instructor and USMC Combat Motorcycle Instructor . You'll need something street legal if you're going to be on public roads. Given your height and weight, I'd suggest something in the 400cc class. It will be a better first bike than the 650 class, lighter, and easier to handle. A Suzuki DRZ400 would probably be ideal, or something equivalent from another maker. And I extremely strongly suggest you take a MSF Beginning Rider course.

71138_princess_2_girls_bike_pink_bike_cinderella_toys_princess_toys_princess_birthday_kid_bike_12_inch_bike_16_inch_bike_bike_with_training_wheels.jpg

Do you want to haul ass, go over jumps and throw monster rooster tails, or more basic dirt road transportation.

All kinds of choices for the first. For the second, something like this would get you around:
I have not kept up with the latest manufacturer offerings, as I currently ride a highly modified late 90s XR650L in CA, that I've had since about 2000, as well as a CRF450F in NH, which I've also owned for many years, but that CRF300L looks like it would be an excellent bike for you.

The guy is in good enough health. Get an old 500cc thumper,I rode Yamahas, and in the off season you can use it to pull stumps up. Learn on that. They teach you what you need to know.
I do strongly suggest, as posted above, that you take some riding lessons to start with.

I love my KTM 450 six days

That said, at your weight you’re at risk if you’re taking much jumps or whoops or anything, that’s a lot of energy transfer, I’d invest in your health before the bike.
I want to drive a dirt road. Thank you for your concern about my health. I get a wellness check twice a year along with blood work. Heart is always solid and I run a low resting heart rate. I am on my feet for 14-16 hours a day. Normally do 7-8 miles a day. Diet is a lot of chicken and rice and veggies. Just built big.

The guy is in good enough health. Get an old 500cc thumper,I rode Yamahas, and in the off season you can use it to pull stumps up. Learn on that. They teach you what you need to know.
I do strongly suggest, as posted above, that you take some riding lessons to start with.
Thanks for the input. Montana offers three levels of a riding course. Its on the list before I just go tearing down a road. Not in my 20s anymore.

Reactions: UKDslayer
I rode dirt bikes since I was a kid. I'd still be riding today if it wasn't for the carpel tunnel and arthritis.

Last bike I had was a KTM 450 EXC. If I were to buy one today, it would be the 300 XC-W.

What ever you do, get something with a wide ratio gear box, and an engine with a wide power band. It will be more forgiving for someone starting out, and a lot more useful.

Stick to the Dual-Sport segment. I'm 6'2" also, and weighed between 220-245lbs. So, I always rode/raced, "Big Bore" 2 & 4 stroke bikes(50+years). Something like a 350-400cc 4-stroke would be enough to do what you want to do. I'm a Honda/Kawi guy, but, Yamaha/Suzuki make good bikes. IF, I got back into riding again, the Suzuki DR400 could be a possibility.
Hell, even a Honda XR650L, would be a fantastic choice.
Read up, test ride, have fun. Waaaay too many choices out there. Keep it simple. Try and stay with an air-cooled 4-stroke, and you should be GtG, as far as reliability/serviceability is concerned. Good Luck! Mac(y)(y)

Last edited:
Top 3 choices if you're looking for a new bike. If you're looking for used, the field widens exponentially.

ALSO:
Yamahas are only 200 class - good starting bike for some, too small for you

I want to drive a dirt road. Thank you for your concern about my health. I get a wellness check twice a year along with blood work. Heart is always solid and I run a low resting heart rate. I am on my feet for 14-16 hours a day. Normally do 7-8 miles a day. Diet is a lot of chicken and rice and veggies. Just built big.

Wasn’t talking about your heart, good friend of mine is just a big dude, he was into snowboarding for a long time, destroyed himself pretty good, just like shooting, velocity plus mass, there is a reason lots of the guys who professional moto cross, and big air snow boarders, are more lanky in their build.

The Honda would be good, you a smaller KTM will out preform a larger Honda or Suzuki, but it’s more maintenance and cost, my bike was twice as much as the Honda and I also have to change oil every 25hrs, but that bike is a damn weapon on the dirt or street.

The DRZ is a option, but it’s a new old bike, I’d probably go Honda unless you’re looking to tear the trails up, but with your size if you get too crazy you’re going to likely have some maintenance issues too.

Wasn’t talking about your heart, good friend of mine is just a big dude, he was into snowboarding for a long time, destroyed himself pretty good, just like shooting, velocity plus mass, there is a reason lots of the guys professional moto cross those and snow boarders are more lanky in their build.

The Honda would be good, you a smaller KTM will out preform a larger Honda or Suzuki, but it’s more maintenance and cost, my bike was twice as much as the Honda and I also have to change oil every 25hrs, but that bike is a damn weapon on the dirt or street.
I try not to abuse myself. Not getting into a new hobby. Just need an easier way to get back to my truck at the end of the day from fishing. I was literally thinking a scooter, but the road I drive on needs work. Normally it will be about a 5 to 6 mile run on the dirt road as its 7-8 river miles. Thought about just biking it. I can get a company to shuttle me but they will charge upwards of $150 as its pretty remote. That adds up quick. Would rather take care of something and have it for long term.

I try not to abuse myself. Not getting into a new hobby. Just need an easier way to get back to my truck at the end of the day from fishing. I was literally thinking a scooter, but the road I drive on needs work. Normally it will be about a 5 to 6 mile run on the dirt road as its 7-8 river miles. Thought about just biking it. I can get a company to shuttle me but they will charge upwards of $150 as its pretty remote. That adds up quick. Would rather take care of something and have it for long term.

I’d look at the CRFs

Reactions: SouthFork
Two routes for you too take:
1. Dual sport bike , on and off-road, from the factory. 4 stroke bikes. Might be good first bike as the power is more tame per CC than the off-road counterparts. Will be much heavier than the off-road bikes due to DOT requirements. Suspension is soft. Would be sufficient for fire roads for certain.
2. Factory off-road bikes. The use of these on-road is state dependent. On road can have different meanings in each state. So check. Some states allow for these bike to be licensed in road. Good option. Bikes are much more high performance and generally much lighter.
Find a good dealer with a large selection, multiple brands, as well as a knowledgeable salesman and see what sounds right.

I’m several inches taller than you and a big guy, if it were me I’d get a Honda XR 650R, tall seat with denser foam, and handle bar risers. Maybe a foot peg lowering kit. It would also have enough power to ride to town. It’s a big thumper, but you control the throttle.

Last edited:
the 300L has a rider triangle that might be too small for you. i just sold mine last week. the suspension is too soft, riding it is like walking on a water bed. i had a drz400 as well and that would be my suggestion. it's very well mannered bike that won't try to kill you.

Well, just like asking "What gun should I get?", you're going to get 100 opinions, but here's one from someone with nearly 60 years of off-road motorcyling experience, as well as being a former Motorcycle Safety Foundation instructor and USMC Combat Motorcycle Instructor . You'll need something street legal if you're going to be on public roads. Given your height and weight, I'd suggest something in the 400cc class. It will be a better first bike than the 650 class, lighter, and easier to handle. A Suzuki DRZ400 would probably be ideal, or something equivalent from another maker. And I extremely strongly suggest you take a MSF Beginning Rider course.

It's Montana. Anything with a horn, headlight, tail light, and brake light can get a plate. I have a plate for several of my old motocross 2t bikes that are setup for single track.

The drz400 is the most anemic, underpowered, heavy pig of a bike. It does not belong off pavement.

Find an old xr400, or ktm 400exc. Plenty of bike to go 60 down a dirt road and light enough to not hate life trying to pick it up when you dump it.

Decent riding boots, pants, helmet, gloves, etc should all be worn. I've dumped bikes at 90+ without a scratch on me, but my gear was messed up.

vs a full off-road bike, you can get this one (and other "dual sports") tagged. you're a big guy and this will be a good/great bike for you. sister company husqvarna makes a very similar version. this is pretty much 95% trails and 5% road.

Find out where the dealers are in your area and spend a weekend going around and riding a bunch of bikes. You'll end up with a favorite or two. And of course, various recommendations so far vary from 5k ish to 12k+, so ...

Reactions: 10ring'r
Have you thought about buying a cheap 250cc beater and learning on it. Spend a couple months learning to ride and then step up to a nicer bike. You are going to crash it a few times, especially in the beginning, so get something cheap to fix. I know you are big, and a 250 will be underpowered at first, but that could be a good thing for a little while.

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
Depends on your price point. From cheapest to most expensive, for your intended use, I'd go with one of the following:

Used Suzuki DRZ-400
Used Yamaha 07+ WR450F
Used CRF250X (This would be my last option at your size)
Used Honda 09+ CRF450X
Used KTM 14+ 450 or 500 EXC-F

New Yamaha WR450F
New Honda CRF450L or X
New KTM 450/500 EXC-F
New Husqvarna FE500

Someone suggested a KTM 300 two stroke. I owned a Husky TX300 and regret selling it every time I think about it. They're amazing. If you don't care about mixing gas, not a bad option. You won't be able to just pull up to the pump and fill up though, unless you buy one of the newer TPI bikes. Just a consideration.

If you're going to go highway speeds (75+) for extended period, might want to look into something like a KLR650, KTM 690, Husqvarna 701, or something in that class.

Used bike prices, like everything else right now, are full blown retarded. So unless you find a used bike someone rode once, got scared of and stuffed it in the garage, or it was vet owned and well maintained, you're probably better off buying new.

Last edited:
I would say to stay away from the 450 class bikes, been there done that. If you want to ride freeway, skip to the 650cc+. I had a ktm exc350 and it was nice, I'm not a very aggressive rider, but have been riding for a long time. I'm a similar build and I actually enjoyed my kids Kawasaki KLX300R just as much as my KTM. If I was going to own the KLX300R I would have resprung it for my weight. But it had plenty of power for roads and single track riding and cost $10k less then my KTM.

So if I was in the market right now, I'd look at a new KLX300 or CRF300

Reactions: Duc
How much do you bench?

How many bow kills?

Do you work with concrete?
Two 35lb plates plus the bar. I am a beast.

Too many to count. Normally I get two to three kills per arrow as I have a 150lb draw weight. I don’t typically like to brag about stuff like that but these circumstances I feel I need to flex.

I can’t keep up with those guys. They polish off a 18pack of Keystone light at the end of the day plus a couple of gas station burritos. I like to watch my girlish figure and am more of the White Claw type.

@Bender

This is actually me. But since it the ‘hide I feel I need up the persona and try to brag. You caught me. I will go back to watching my 600lb life.

Attachments

• FB5FBA1F-1FFF-41F2-A64B-0087BA9B306D.jpeg
    FB5FBA1F-1FFF-41F2-A64B-0087BA9B306D.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Haha
Reactions: Bender
Figure out what kind of dirt bike riding you want to do. You said ride 8 mi down the road, but you also have property to ride on.

Realistically anything on two wheels will do the road. How much$? How fast and light? Do you want to mix gas? Do you want fuel injection? Out of the ones I saw mentioned already I’d vote Honda 450x or Yamaha wr450 if you could find used with less than 300hrs and a maintenance record. That would probably be less than 4500$ and with a piston and rings replacement will last a good while with not much fiddling as long as the valves clearances are in spec. Check advrider.com flea market to get an idea of a the market

From reading all the postings, then, re-reading your OP, It was mentioned to search out a dealer, or two, see what's on their floors, go used, because it sounds like you don't want to spend a fortune on something to ride to the river, then back.
A good, used, Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha, in the 400 to 600cc range, would serve you quite nicely. Make sure you stick with a 4-stroke/air-cooled motor. Don't get wrapped into the 2-stroke/4-stroke hyper race bike thing. It's a never ending money pit. Ask me how I know. Like I said before, keep it simple.
Any of the Honda XR's, Suzuki DR's, Kawi KL's, would serve you just fine. If you don't have much m/c experience, stay away from the KLR650, they're pigs. Great bike, but, heavy, especially with 5-6 gals. of gas, and the suspension sucks. Great bike, but you'd probably go broke modifying/improving it.
Go used from a decent dealer you feel you can trust, so you don't have a crap load of money wrapped-up into something that's only going to be used a few times a year.
When it comes to dirt bikes/dual sports, it IS a bottomless pit. Does the term, "rabbit Hole", mean anything to you?? Just a warning! Mac;)
Scan0022 (2).jpg
001.JPG

Bikes are even more specialized to a certain task than rifles are... and pick the wrong one for what you are trying to do and things get miserable. Your size (or weight) doesn't need to correspond to a engine size. One of the biggest mistakes people make is picking their bike by what the scale says. You may have to put different springs (or valve) but that's not that difficult/expensive for a good shop.

I have a friend that sold his 450mx bike and picked up a crf 230, a huge step down in power and performance- but he enjoys riding so much more and isn't afraid of the bike.

On most new 300 2-strokes you don't have to mix fuel anymore- and the maintenance is nothing like they used to be-- (these are my favorite bikes)- but probably not the best choice for your stated purpose.

Reactions: jbuck88
I just got my first bike last year for more economical farm transportation. ATV's and UTV's suck gas like a ...... well you know. I am a little bigger than you but I got a Kawasaki klx230 and absolutely love it. Light and nimble and takes me everywhere. I dont go very fast though. I have had it on pavement and while its stable, it's light nature scares me at higher speeds. If you can find a KLX300 I'd snag it in a heartbeat. I've watched and read every review out there and it tends to be better sprung and adjustable compared to the honda CRF300l. If you are just looking for a light easy to ride bike they =/<300cc do great. If you want speed and some real motocross performance go 400cc and up. I can't afford to risk injury with that stuff so the small light easy to get on bikes are nice and lots of fun. Watch some you tube videos by "Dork in the Road". He has reviewed a lot of dual sports.

Displacement isn't real important. There's lots of 125's with more hp than an air cooled 400.

Just about anything will do the job. Some faster than others, some heavier and more miserable, etc.

I've looked for bikes in this corner of the state. Sadly Facebook classifieds are the only place I see them and they want what they paid 5 years ago. Best bet is go new or take a drive to SLC.

I have a 56 inch chest and a 38inch waist. Now spend my days building houses. I can be up and down on scaffolding or ladders quicker than most guys. Oh and I lift. Cant help how I was built.
Just because you're big, strong, and fit doesn't keep a bike from wrecking you. So choose wisely.