• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing dirty bore on my new old 1903

rojo

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2009
hi guys , not sure this post is in the right place , but I'll give it a shot , I have been given a 1918 vintage Springfield 1903 and it has not been cleaned in many years. I have a big bottle of Hoppes and a small bottle of shooters choice on hand.
What is the best way to clean the bore , it is not corroded or pittwd , just dirty and fouled.
please post , many thanks, rojo

Re: dirty bore on my new old 1903

Scrub it good with Hoppes and swab it out, inspect it, light oil patch and be done. I had a 1917 I was afraid the bore was gone on before I got a borescope, scrubbed it in a similar fashion for a while and presto. It was like a new barrel, shiny and clean with no serious imperfections other than normal wear and use. GREAT shooter now.

hi , will do , I have a LAPD snubnose , when I bought it I was told the rifling was shallow , it was full of lead , tried a bore brush cleaned alitle , fired a hundred hard cast lead wadcutter cleaned it right out, many thanks, rojo

If that doesn't quite cut it, wrap a little Chore Boy (Copper Pot scrubber) around an old brush with a little oil. That will take everything out, but won't harm the bore.