• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dirty suppressors affect accuracy/precision negatively.

I know this is primarily rimfire related, but, how do you go about cleaning a welded centerfire can?
I presume it can eventually have the same detrimental effects. (or, does it?)

Yes, we also have conclusive evidence that centerfire cans can cause these same issues when dirty. Travis Stevens @ TS Customs as well as other TS Customs PRS team shooters have seen the effects. It isn't something that will ever be seen for most shooters though. We've only discovered it when working with extremely precise barrels with very finely tuned loads. Thus far, a dirty centerfire can isn't going to stop you from shooting 1/2 moa, from what we've seen. Yet it can stop you from shooting better than that.

To clean a sealed can, you dip them in horrible solutions that dissolve the fouling. It basically creates toxic waste though... which is not good.

Interesting Greg...
I don't shoot rimfire suppressed so I have not seen this first hand. What I have seen is on my centerfire the fouling builds on the muzzle to a point then will brake off or if I clean some will be dissolved. If left completely in tact accuracy is 100%, but when a significant amount is removed without completely removing it all accuracy suffers (usually pretty bad). After completely cleaning the muzzle the accuracy is restored. So there is definitely something going on there with either the precursor gas or the immediate air space. A little TLC never hurts...

I've seen accuracy affected negatively with both center fire and rimfire. If you ever weigh a suppressor before cleaning and after you'll see how much build up there is, or compare to advertised weight of new unused suppressor. We're talking many ounces of build up. I've had good results using an ultrasonic cleaner with 50/50 mix of simple green and water, still has lead in it but at least the mix isn't toxic. Have also seen build up inside muzzle brakes affect accuracy, takes a lot of rounds but it can and does happen.

My Thunderbeast started opening up my groups so I took it back to the factory (only 50 miles away) & they immediately weighed it. A brand new 30P (if you could still get it) weighs 16 ounces, mine weighed 24 ounces - a full 8 ounces of carbon & copper build up.
Thunderbeast offers a free cleaning once a year & basically they soak the cans in CLR bathroom cleaner. Although they have no problem doing it for you, I was told that I could soak it myself overnight every 500 rounds as a preventive measure.