• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Diving Boards" - Solutions or More Problems (WM-LRF)?

TheOtherAndrew

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2021
Wisconsin
"RAPTARs on MARS" - Weighing System Complexity vs. Workflow Simplification
[Scope + Weapon Mounted LRF] vs [BinoLRF + RDS]
(integrated azimuth/bearing to reduce glass (bino->scope) transition time?)
----------
RAPTARs et al. look cool for sure, adds weight but not too much - probably not optimally suited for PRS but more practical shooting styles (NRL/CD - "field matches") may have its benefits, but I wonder if these(WMLRF) truly are beneficial once in use (daylight) - or are they just redundancies and more-so useful fo night shooting?

A) Inside 400yd I think a WMLRF wouldn't be a great ROI - a pocket mono LRF or simply "eyeballing" distance can suffice in most scenarios, no?
B) 400-800yds with blind stages and semi hidden targets IDK if using your scope to find a target is going to help your overall speed to impact. Id guess that using a binoLRF would be the quickest way to find and range targets in that scenario; at that point what value is the WMLRF giving you other than confirming your binoLRF distance is similar? Plus you still have the issue of switching from bino to scope and reacquiring the target; even though you have an idea of targets general direction.
C) 800-1500yd I think a WMLRF would be pretty beneficial in workflow simplification (but at those ranges you normally have more time to shoot anyway...idk). Though I do think this is were WMLRF would shine, for daylight shooting - I [understand/more read a lot] that WMLRF is most useful for distance night shooting, no?
--------
The most useful (day) applications I can think of for WMLRF would be on open area stages with multiple, easily recognizable targets. In these cases you could see the targets that you need to hit with little issue, so find target area with RDS or [barrel slice], transition to scope and fine tune into target, click WMLRF for range/elevation solution, input ballistic answer into scope/hold (maybe clean up a wind call), fire - move to next target "XXXft to the right/left" and repeat.

Point being a WMLRF doesn't seem (at superficial glance) universally superior to binoLRF or even a pocket rangefinder (which I want to be wrong about, chime in with your thoughts/experiences behind rifles with WMLRF's and how your workflow is enhanced - or other intangible benefits that I likely missed). It seems to have limited application and won't replace a binocular for the [target acquisition/finding] portion in most cases.

Another way of approaching this - In your experience why/is a WMLRF 'juice worth the squeeze' given the price point on them is almost $10k?
---------------------
As a side note: A helpful improvement I can think of to increase overall speed (minimize transition time from finding target in bino --> scope on target) would be to have a compass azimuth integrated on both binoculars and WMLRF. That way you can use it as an 'indexing point' to get close enough to target vicinity during bino to scope transitions.

So I guess im wondering if 'azimuth' is displayed on WMLRF's like RAPTAR, or more likely the new Envision MARS?
-------

Last edited:
It’s hard to have a reliable compass on a gun.

Binos are primary but having the mounted LRF is useful. If you’re looking to be a top team at a field match, it’s not a bad thing to have. The ability to laze and stay on target is the major benefit. They really lend themselves to people are who are comfortable holding over. Thus you don’t have to dial to zero.

For reference I think the 4 most competitive field matches are Mammoth, Coleman’s Creek Sniper Match, the Burris Optics Team Challenge and Real World Sniper. All of the top 5 teams had gun LRFs at mammoth this year, same for Coleman’s, at Burris I’m not sure, there definitely was not as many. Finally 4 of the 5 at the RWS finale used gun mounted range finders.

You can see the top teams are seeking any advantage they can get.

I think they’re worth having if you can spend the dollars. In a pinch it’s a lot easier than transitioning to binos then back to the gun and relocating the target. It’s definitely more points on the board when you have one.

Reactions: TheOtherAndrew
+1 on JustSendit

I use WMLRF quite a bit, but it surely doesn't replace my binos. A WMRF is an extra tool that, in the competition world, might gain you a few (FEW) points if you're very familiar and comfortable with it.
Outside of the competition world, it's very handy to be able to scan/lase through your riflescope. Night hunting, shooting rocks, etc.

It seems a large portion of your concern is re-finding a target with your scope that you've already found/ranged in your binos. No equipment available will help with this more than practice. Just practice.

+1 on JustSendit

I use WMLRF quite a bit, but it surely doesn't replace my binos. A WMRF is an extra tool that, in the competition world, might gain you a few (FEW) points if you're very familiar and comfortable with it.
Outside of the competition world, it's very handy to be able to scan/lase through your riflescope. Night hunting, shooting rocks, etc.

It seems a large portion of your concern is re-finding a target with your scope that you've already found/ranged in your binos. No equipment available will help with this more than practice. Just practice.
Practice above all else, we agree.

The concern is simplifying workflow overall - Im pretty sure the MARS-Lc has an internal compass for DoF in its AB solver? If so would seem easy to just put the value on the HUD. Bino to scope and which one is ranging was just the example of a 'hiccup in workflow' that popped into my head.

Q: So for night shooting - is the MARS-Lc IR laser (<3.5mW?) enough for shooting to ~800yd under a PVS30? Or is a full power IR laser needed in addition?

Q: So for night shooting - is the MARS-Lc IR laser (<3.5mW?) enough for shooting to ~800yd under a PVS30? Or is a full power IR laser needed in addition?
Maybe I am misunderstanding your question or I am incorrect on the specs on the MARS LC; I thought the MARS LC only had a visible laser pointer not IR?

Reactions: TheOtherAndrew
I’m just saying the compass on any gun LRF I’ve seen gives readouts that are far enough off that’s not ideal. That’s my experience. Finding a landmark and revisiting it that from glass to glass is the best method.

How much illum you need is weather dependent. A good IR flashlight would provide enough flood to more than get going.

Go on ahead and +1 everything JustSendit says for me, so I don't have to login again.

MARS and other WMRFs have a place and a utility, but I don't think that utility is what you're asking about in this thread.
If you've got a PVS-30, you probably know somebody with a RAPTAR or Radius or such. Trade them a bottle of something that burns to borrow theirs for a week or two and find out for yourself.

• Love
Reactions: JustSendit
Maybe I am misunderstanding your question or I am incorrect on the specs on the MARS LC; I thought the MARS LC only had a visible laser pointer not IR?
Looks like youre right no IR illuminator on MARs Lc. Has red vis laser.

Same question though now just on the RAPTAR-S ES (low power illuminator version-the one civilians get)

I’m just saying the compass on any gun LRF I’ve seen gives readouts that are far enough off that’s not ideal. That’s my experience. Finding a landmark and revisiting it that from glass to glass is the best method.

How much illum you need is weather dependent. A good IR flashlight would provide enough flood to more than get going.
Got it on LRF compass. Same story with a Kestrel and handheld compass in my experience; I guess they call that a pattern ;).

I mounted a RDS at 12OC and looking at things ~4-500yds out my window it works a lot better than I expected, better than "eyeballin" it for sure.

Go on ahead and +1 everything JustSendit says for me, so I don't have to login again.

MARS and other WMRFs have a place and a utility, but I don't think that utility is what you're asking about in this thread.
If you've got a PVS-30, you probably know somebody with a RAPTAR or Radius or such. Trade them a bottle of something that burns to borrow theirs for a week or two and find out for yourself.
I do not own a WMLRF, I am thinking about buying one.

Main utility Ive noticed for WMLRF's isn't daytime ranging - its night shooting. But once you own a WMLRF Id assume you try to use it in the day as well. That is where the "how useful is [it]?" for day shooting comes in. So far my take is WMLRF in daylight shooting seems to have a limited role, not useless, but doesn't seem well worth their cost unless you also use it for night shooting.

Ronin points out fact that the MARS Lc doesn't have an IR flood option (which from my reading is absolutely necessary shooting 5-800yd no matter what NV youre using (PVS30 is what seems a good fit for me but im barely aware in the NV arena so Im not dead set on PVS30).

If main use of WMLRF is for night shooting and the MARS Lc doesn't have IR flood, then idk why a person wouldn't stick with the RAPTAR stuff. Perhaps the civilian (lower powered) RAPTARs IR isn't useful at distance anyway so its really a non issue and you need to get a standalone IR flood device regardless, like JustSendIt is suggesting...IDK

Go ahead an log in and expand on your view of WMLRF's utility, Im down for whatever.

I would say the RAPTAR doesn’t have the best IR functionality but it’s enough to get by. I was saying if you have no IR on your LRF or you want extra illum, then the quality flashlight with IR has suited my civilian shooting applications.

which from my reading is absolutely necessary shooting 5-800yd no matter what NV youre using (PVS30 is what seems a good fit for me but im barely aware in the NV arena so Im not dead set on PVS30).
That’s not really been my experience, if there’s a full moon and no cloud cover, you can absolutely see and engage steel out to pretty far distances without IR illuminating the area.

The terrain and illumination will dictate how well steel targets will be identified. Shadows and thicker vegetation obviously create natural areas where even on a clear night you’ll struggle.

Is the is the diving board thread? Looking for a manufacturer that makes a 35mm one that fits a geissele mount, I know reptilla makes a 34. Or any other viable options.