• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

DIY annealer

mattp8893

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
So has anyone actually made one of these home mad annealers shown on YouTube? I don't much like the idea and current process of using a drill and hoping I get them consistent every time. But also can't drop 400+ on an annealer right now so I was considering this option. Has anyone actually done it? If so is it really as easy as it seems and were the results satisfactory? Or would I probably be throwing 100 bucks down the drain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did one and my friend also did one. Works great and well worth the $100.00 I got invested in it. Got info from 6Br.com

That's the video I was talking about I couldn't remember the name though. I just wondered if other people had tried it with as much success as he had

I did one and my friend also did one. Works great and well worth the $100.00 I got invested in it. Got info from 6Br.com

Awesome that's all the reassurance I needed! I'll be giving it a try soon

Tried posting mine, pics don't post (back to that again huh) Then tried to delete comment and don't have permission to do THAT. Tried to help but website won't allow.

I recommend going for it I love mine. Too bad I can't show you.

Fixed, crap that is harder than any other site I've seen.

20150904_185530.jpg

Last edited:
I really like your design! Having the hopper has got to be way more convienient so you can just baby sit it and work on other stuff instead of feeding it! I was trying to think of a way to tweak it to work with one but I see you already did!

It works pretty well so far. The hopper holds just over 100 rounds of 308. Sometimes when it is full the weight of the cases put sideways pressure on the bottom cases and they fail to drop down. I just pull one out and add it to the top and it is good to go. Could probably fix that by adjusting the width of the drop. The only other problem is if the timing is off on the feed motor it can drop a second case before the first drops into the pan. I don't turn it on and walk away but I can definitely keep one eye on it and work on another task.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qh8o-haXX2w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
I've built one of these as well, based on the Skip's Annealer videos. It was fairly easy to build and inexpensive, but if you build one base it off of his latest version. This version uses a proximity sensor to control the feed drum instead of a separate speed controller. I built the version with dual speed controls and keeping the two drums in sync is a giant PITA.

I ordered one but haven't installed it yet because all the paperwork is in Chinese. I'll go look at my ebay history..

Well how about that.. went and looked at the item again on ebay and saw the wiring directions were actually part of the listing. Anyway, this is the part -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Green-4-Dig...-Sensor-12v-/401126722206?hash=item5d65040a9e

If you haven't looked at the video, the sensor mounts right where the brass sits as it is waiting to fall into the large drum. Once the brass falls in, the sensor doesn't read anything and triggers the feed drum to drop another piece. Seems much better than trying to sync the two drums.

This is great I'll definitely go that way now

I made one like Skips.. fooled with the hopper for a little while and it was a PITA to get everything sync'd.. So I just single load the cases. Have to sit there and monitor it anyway, and it only takes a little while to do a batch of cases. However, I only do <100 at a time usually, so if you do much more than that maybe the hopper route is the way to go.

I'm in the beginning stages of designing my own, based on previous designs though.

I have always been a tinkerer and work as a mechanical engineer, so having CAD software makes the possibilities endless.

I hope to have it done here in the next few months, so we'll see how it goes. I still have a couple other projects I'm finishing up on. If it turns out good I'll share the CAD data, prints, specs, etc.

So has anyone actually made one of these home mad annealers shown on YouTube? I don't much like the idea and current process of using a drill and hoping I get them consistent every time. But also can't drop 400+ on an annealer right now so I was considering this option. Has anyone actually done it? If so is it really as easy as it seems and were the results satisfactory? Or would I probably be throwing 100 bucks down the drain?

ive used mine for well over 4k rounds so far.. still going strong like the day i made it... being that i reload in increments of 50 or 100 x ~5 seconds per anneal once the torches are set (take about 1 min as in my 4th part of reloading start to finish using test brass) i can anneal my brass in less than 10min and not having a hopper doesn't bother me one second

I made one like Skips.. fooled with the hopper for a little while and it was a PITA to get everything sync'd.. So I just single load the cases. Have to sit there and monitor it anyway, and it only takes a little while to do a batch of cases. However, I only do <100 at a time usually, so if you do much more than that maybe the hopper route is the way to go.

100% spot on... having a single feed ramp is seriously not an issue... you need to manually load the hopper anyway and its not like you're going to walk away with torches going in the room and takes less than 10min.. plus i can tweak as i go and make sure everything is consistent

Last edited:
I also built one using Skip's design. I opted for the prox switch to operate the feed drum and it has worked flawlessly. I've only used it a few times annealing some 300 WSM brass but I'm sure I'll be using more as it's so easy to set up and use.