• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY: Barrel Swap

Jettheterror

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2017
Hey Guys,

Did a video for you on how I swap out my barrel on my precision rifle. I know for me it was a dark magic that only gunsmiths and witch doctors could perform because I hadn't done before and I couldn't find enough visual information to wrap my head around it all those years ago. Hope this helps someone out.

-Match Junkie

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don’t know what rifle you’re working with but check your headspace before you shoot. I recently started threading and chambering my own barrels. It isn’t rocket science but it does take some skill. Stay safe and Good luck

I don’t know what rifle you’re working with but check your headspace before you shoot. I recently started threading and chambering my own barrels. It isn’t rocket science but it does take some skill. Stay safe and Good luck
It's in the video. those barrels are made to crank on and shoot.
1618716721964.png

they're called prefits for a reason. Those barrels screw on and the headspace is right. That's how they're made

Reactions: Jettheterror
Bud, I don’t think you’re gonna convince people telling you about a safety step they feel is important that the safety step is in fact not important.

Especially when that step costs no more than $70-80 per chambering, and can be reused indefinitely.

Reactions: Jettheterror
Bud, I don’t think you’re gonna convince people telling you about a safety step they feel is important that the safety step is in fact not important.

Especially when that step costs no more than $70-80 per chambering, and can be reused indefinitely.
I understand. The whole premise behind shouldered prefits is they screw on and shoot. But you go ahead and have that shouldered prefit headspaced if it makes you feel good.

You're exactly right and anyone who does not check a new prefit barrel with the gauges is on a dead fools errand.
Manufacturers make mistakes and that mistake could cost you your life ......

You're exactly right and anyone who does not check a new prefit barrel with the gauges is on a dead fools errand.
Manufacturers make mistakes and that mistake could cost you your life ......
so please enlighten me. I'm actually asking a serious question. How do you headspace a prefit barrel? What changes are you going to make?

You bet your ass I’m checking headspace on a shouldered pre fit barrel. Headspace range is very small. Very easy for a small mistake to happen during machining. I would bet every supplier of prefit barrels advises this step. It isn’t headspacing a prefit but checking the headspace is correct. Well worth the price of 2 gauges.

You don’t headspace a prefit, the barrel manufacturer does. You *check* headspace on a prefit, and if it’s good, perfect, you never check it on that action/bolt combo again. If not, you call the manufacturer or vendor and tell them they shipped a faulty product, which is hardly unheard of in the wide world of business, and you want a refund or replacement.

Reactions: spife7980
You don’t headspace a prefit, the barrel manufacturer does. You *check* headspace on a prefit, and if it’s good, perfect, you never check it on that action/bolt combo again. If not, you call the manufacturer or vendor and tell them they shipped a faulty product, which is hardly unheard of in the wide world of business, and you want a refund or replacement.
Makes sense. checking is different than headspacing, which is where I guess I misunderstood. Point taken. Don't trust prefits.