• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY building????

Nope it’s never been done before…….

Search this site for recommendations on actions, barrels, tools, headspace gauges etc etc etc. Do some research and reading and yes it will be easier than you think. Especially with the knowledge in previous threads on this site

Nope it’s never been done before…….

Search this site for recommendations on actions, barrels, tools, headspace gauges etc etc etc. Do some research and reading and yes it will be easier than you think. Especially with the knowledge in previous threads on this site

He was joking.
Yes, it's easier than ever. Choose an action, a compatible trigger, and a stock to put it all together. Actions usually follow a Remington 700 Short action or Long action footprint. Which one depends on your choice of caliber. The barrel to receiver mounting no longer requires a gunsmith if you get a pre-fit barrel made for your action. Just buy the barrel and screw it on your receiver and tighten to specific torque. You may have to also purchase bottom metal if you're selected chassis doesn't integrate it. That's the basics.

He was joking.
Yes, it's easier than ever. Choose an action, a compatible trigger, and a stock to put it all together. Actions usually follow a Remington 700 Short action or Long action footprint. Which one depends on your choice of caliber. The barrel to receiver mounting no longer requires a gunsmith if you get a pre-fit barrel made for your action. Just buy the barrel and screw it on your receiver and tighten to specific torque. You may have to also purchase bottom metal if you're selected chassis doesn't integrate it. That's the basics.
.408 cheytac

Based on your first 3 posts as a member, I am wondering if you are a bot, troll or child.

If not introduce yourself, what is your gun experience? What type of rifle for what purpose do you want to build?

Reactions: 338dude
Based on your first 3 posts as a member, I am wondering if you are a bot, troll or child.

If not introduce yourself, what is your gun experience? What type of rifle for what purpose do you want to build?
I am a David. I am from Saskatchewan Canada. I have a Chinese SKS, mossberg 835, .308 savage Axis, & mossberg .22 semi.

Been into guns forever. But bought my my first firearm @ 37.

Why not???
Sense the sarcasm?
13556C84-A23B-4A9F-A652-FFC13728B855.jpeg

I am a David. I am from Saskatchewan Canada. I have a Chinese SKS, mossberg 835, .308 savage Axis, & mossberg .22 semi.

And the next step is a 408 cheytac? You understand what your getting into correct? Because 408 is a big boy game to play when your not even sure if building a gun is possible….

But yes it’s possible. Lots more $$ all around vs something in a smaller platform if you don’t need true ELR distance

Reactions: Kalmik and 338dude
And the next step is a 408 cheytac? You understand what your getting into correct? Because 408 is a big boy game to play when your not even sure if building a gun is possible….

But yes it’s possible. Lots more $$ all around vs something in a smaller platform if you don’t need true ELR distance
Yes I am very sure

my friend is a ppcli sniper. He recommended this as the best

You own some low end firearms that are not accurate, but want to get into ELR shooting which is at least a $20,000 investment and you want 408 Cheytac that costs $18 each pull of the trigger and has massive recoil to start.

Even if you get the rifle and gear it sounds like you have very little knowledge or experience.

You sound ridiculous, not trying to be insulting, but can you even shoot .5 MOA at 300 meters now? Do you reload? You need to learn to walk before you run.

You're seeing a lot of negativity because you're talking about building a ridiculously expensive rifle that's ridiculously expensive to shoot with which to do extreme long range which requires a fair amount of specialized skill and knowledge to do effectively and safely. Essentially you don't konw what you don't know yet and so you're setting yourself up for expensive failure. We don't want you to fail and failing at ELR distances is incredibly dangerous. Those bullets go far and you can't call them back, once it's launched it's launched. Basically you're looking at burning a few barrels out before you really learn how to do it and you'll be unsafe in the process. We would all love for you to join the fraternity, don't get us wrong, but you really should learn to walk before you start running with the big kids. I would start by picking up an inexpensive heavy barrel Savage 10 or Remington 700 or Howa 1500 in 6.5Creedmoor or .308Win or something in that class and then take a long range precision rifle training course. That'll short cut the process by a barrel or two and several thousand rounds (it'll save you thousands of looneys in the end). Get to where anything up to 1000m or so is something you don't even blink at. Once you get that far then when you pick up the 408CT you'll be in a position to safely uptake the skills and knowledge that it takes to go to the, considerable, supersonic limits of the 408CT.

We can be a bit gruff and blunt but we see this kind of thing too much. Learning to fly a plane is easy. Learning to land one, that's the important part and it's the part that matters the most and it's a lot more complicated than straight and level flight. Same with long range shooting. Learning to buzz a round to hunting distances is trivial. Learning to shoot to distances where targets aren't super visible to the naked eye is not difficult but it is a lot of stuff to learn and no matter how you slice it it's expensive.

As the best what? What are you going to do with said 408.
Rifle for long distance accuracy
How far is long distance to you?
between 3-5000 meters
You own some low end firearms that are not accurate, but want to get into ELR shooting which is at least a $20,000 investment and you want 408 Cheytac that costs $18 each pull of the trigger and has massive recoil to start.

Even if you get the rifle and gear it sounds like you have very little knowledge or experience.

You sound ridiculous, not trying to be insulting, but can you even shoot .5 MOA at 300 meters now? Do you reload? You need to learn to walk before you run.
i am in Canada
It is hard to find a range pst 300
Especially in Saskatchewan.

But that is what I want to do. I will learn in the field.

A sniper has offered to teach me

OP you are being exceptionally dense. Someone has already told you the proper and safe way to work yourself up to long distance shooting. 1. Go buy a decent 308, 2. Spend a lot of time practicing . By the time you’ve burnt out that first barrel (usually above 7000 rounds)you should have learned how good a shooter you really are. You’ve already said you don’t have ranges over 300(?m) but have a friend who is a sniper who will teach you. A true ”sniper” would tell you all the things spamassassin said.

between 3-5000 meters

i am in Canada

Your expectations are a bit unrealistic given your current level of experience and the actual realities of shooting the distances you mention.

Make life easy on yourself.

Do all the research and build yourself something in .300 Norma Magnum.
Then learn how to shoot it to the limits of the ability of that cartridge.
And by learn how to shoot it, I don't mean you send 50 rounds downrange and are happy if a handful hit.
I mean learn it to where you expect that from your first shot to your last shot, you have a better than even chance of being on target unless a wind call or wind change messes you up.
You'll be able to probably get to 2000+ meters before you start to find that you have to go bigger.

Once you have gone that far, you'll have enough understanding to jump to the next level.
By then if you do some reading, you might decide to skip the .408CT all together and instead go with something in the .375 or .416 range.

Assuming you are actually legit and serious, trying to jump from what you have now to wanting to build your own .408CT and hit targets 5000 meters away is going to be a road full of much frustration, failure and expense.

Wasn't there some recent law change in Cannuckistan that limits energy on target to pretty much a fast .30ish caliber? It has pretty much thrown a wrench into the bigger ELR stuff from what I heard.

ETA:
Is a limit of 10,000 joules at the muzzle, anything exceeding that is part of the 2020 ban. .408 CT and .50 BMG fall into that.

Last edited:
OP you are being exceptionally dense. Someone has already told you the proper and safe way to work yourself up to long distance shooting. 1. Go buy a decent 308, 2. Spend a lot of time practicing . By the time you’ve burnt out that first barrel (usually above 7000 rounds)you should have learned how good a shooter you really are. You’ve already said you don’t have ranges over 300(?m) but have a friend who is a sniper who will teach you. A true ”sniper” would tell you all the things spamassassin said.
Ok I will start there

So what we’ve learned so far,

1) Canada still sucks and daddy says you can even have a 408 CT. But of course a buddy working for .gov recommends it because he can have it but you can’t. (Awesome circumstances by the way)

2) You say it’s hard to find a range past 300 yards. Then I suggest a 223. Step to a 6.5 if you want to get further

3) You’ll need to reload. You’ll need special setups for the 408 and definitely need some reloading and shooting experience in long range before even attempting this platform

“I will learn in the field”

This statement couldn’t be more wrong when your talking about a 408. You don’t learn on a 408. You end up on the 408 after years of learning.

You don’t need a 408. Doesn’t even look like according to the above post that you can even have one. So there’s that

Keep in mind we are not saying you “can’t” do it. We’re saying you “shouldn’t” if the only reason for this is because someone says you can’t

You could buy multiple decent setups in lesser cartridges vs the 408. Could even do something like an ASR Accuracy International in 300 Norma. (If you can own this in Canada). Then you can swap calibers at will. You could own something practical like a 6.5 and 300 NM. A setup that can get several thousand yards and has factory ammo if you don’t intend to reload

Not cutting your idea down. But your starting at the wrong end of the ELR shooting spectrum. But mainly for the range availability you listed you be better off with something like a .223 that you can shoot more often and easily find ranges.

Do you have regular access to 3-5000 yards? Or is that just your understanding of what long range is to you?

between 3-5000 meters

i am in Canada

Wasn't there some recent law change in Cannuckistan that limits energy on target to pretty much a fast .30ish caliber? It has pretty much thrown a wrench into the bigger ELR stuff from what I heard.

ETA:
Is a limit of 10,000 joules at the muzzle, anything exceeding that is part of the 2020 ban. .408 CT and .50 BMG fall into that.

^^^^ This…. Pretty sure you’re limited to 338 Lapua in Canada. If I were you I would get in touch with a Cadex dealer and have them put a rifle together for you. You could buy just the barreled action as well and do whatever stock or chassis you desire. Also the Kracken is a pretty sweet multi caliber option.

You're seeing a lot of negativity because you're talking about building a ridiculously expensive rifle that's ridiculously expensive to shoot with which to do extreme long range which requires a fair amount of specialized skill and knowledge to do effectively and safely. Essentially you don't konw what you don't know yet and so you're setting yourself up for expensive failure. We don't want you to fail and failing at ELR distances is incredibly dangerous. Those bullets go far and you can't call them back, once it's launched it's launched. Basically you're looking at burning a few barrels out before you really learn how to do it and you'll be unsafe in the process. We would all love for you to join the fraternity, don't get us wrong, but you really should learn to walk before you start running with the big kids. I would start by picking up an inexpensive heavy barrel Savage 10 or Remington 700 or Howa 1500 in 6.5Creedmoor or .308Win or something in that class and then take a long range precision rifle training course. That'll short cut the process by a barrel or two and several thousand rounds (it'll save you thousands of looneys in the end). Get to where anything up to 1000m or so is something you don't even blink at. Once you get that far then when you pick up the 408CT you'll be in a position to safely uptake the skills and knowledge that it takes to go to the, considerable, supersonic limits of the 408CT.

We can be a bit gruff and blunt but we see this kind of thing too much. Learning to fly a plane is easy. Learning to land one, that's the important part and it's the part that matters the most and it's a lot more complicated than straight and level flight. Same with long range shooting. Learning to buzz a round to hunting distances is trivial. Learning to shoot to distances where targets aren't super visible to the naked eye is not difficult but it is a lot of stuff to learn and no matter how you slice it it's expensive.
Well said

Reactions: theLBC
Ok I will start there
good call.
i think most experienced instructors would recommend .308 to start, especially if you want to go bigger, so you learn to manage recoil.
heck, people used to tell me .308 was too hard for a newb, lol.

Your expectations are a bit unrealistic given your current level of experience and the actual realities of shooting the distances you mention.

Make life easy on yourself.

Do all the research and build yourself something in .300 Norma Magnum.
Then learn how to shoot it to the limits of the ability of that cartridge.
And by learn how to shoot it, I don't mean you send 50 rounds downrange and are happy if a handful hit.
I mean learn it to where you expect that from your first shot to your last shot, you have a better than even chance of being on target unless a wind call or wind change messes you up.
You'll be able to probably get to 2000+ meters before you start to find that you have to go bigger.

Once you have gone that far, you'll have enough understanding to jump to the next level.
By then if you do some reading, you might decide to skip the .408CT all together and instead go with something in the .375 or .416 range.

Assuming you are actually legit and serious, trying to jump from what you have now to wanting to build your own .408CT and hit targets 5000 meters away is going to be a road full of much frustration, failure and expense.
⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

• Haha
Well I think we all just wasted time and effort trying to be nice to a new member. Maybe we were supposed to offer to smuggle him a gun that's illegal in his country. Good try!

Thank you very much
I will look to see if there is a long distance range within driving range

Interesting the OP states he has Tourette’s syndrome which is a neurological tic disease and may include neuromuscular twitches. Interesting that someone with this disease wants to shoot over two miles. Just questioning

Build a 6.5 Creed or a 308 work on building your shooting form up first. The only way to do that is sending rounds down range, and its much cheaper to do that with something smaller. But that doesn't mean you're stuck shooting groups at the 100 m line. Push a 6.5 to 1300 meters. You will learn a TON about wind calls, ammo, ballistics, etc by doing that. Those are the skills you need to succeed at extreme range.

I think you should absolutely go for it. Prove them all wrong. But if we were talking about car racing, for example, its easy to see why it would be a bad idea to hop right into a Nascar Cup car with no racing experience. Better to learn the ropes on the dirt tracks first.

Reactions: 6.5SH
Everyone I talk too about long distance says I can’t do it.
I want to prove them wrong.
And I love the challenge.

What you're asking for here is just like a high school freshman in beginning auto shop deciding he's going to build an F1 car. All because his buddy at the auto parts store said he'd teach him, and his other buddies said he doesn't know how to drive an F1 car, so now he's going to prove that he can too do it!

Hopefully you can see from this analogy how ridiculous your request is; you don't even know enough to understand reasonable limits but you want to jump from cheap low-end blasting guns to major league precision rifles and skills. This alone should be a clue that your "sniper" buddy is probably full of something brown.

Besides, if you can't even shoot past 300 yards, how do you expect to shoot long distance?

A more general observation for the group - I'm noticing more and more left-leaning people getting into shooting and asking silly questions like this. Not saying the OP necessarily qualifies, but - keep in mind who you might be helping, and what they might want to do with that info. It doesn't take a lot of reading on some of the leftist sites like Reddit to discover how many of these new shooters strongly believe that all conservatives need to be imprisoned or shot. Be careful you're not helping those people. And no, you're not going to convert them, and have no obligation (moral or otherwise) to do so.

Reactions: mikkyc and 338dude
Build a 6.5 Creed or a 308 work on building your shooting form up first. The only way to do that is sending rounds down range, and its much cheaper to do that with something smaller. But that doesn't mean you're stuck shooting groups at the 100 m line. Push a 6.5 to 1300 meters. You will learn a TON about wind calls, ammo, ballistics, etc by doing that. Those are the skills you need to succeed at extreme range.

I think you should absolutely go for it. Prove them all wrong. But if we were talking about car racing, for example, its easy to see why it would be a bad idea to hop right into a Nascar Cup car with no racing experience. Better to learn the ropes on the dirt tracks first.
What is a good scope. Brand???

I use Nightforce scopes and StrelokPro. Your ballistics will depend on your cartridge choice and bullet choice

The hide is a great place for long range information. I’d suggest searching whatever questions you have on here and reading up. There’s even a ELR section if your serious about that.

Reactions: Leatherman1973
Is there an app to learn ballistics and drag coefficients MOA and wind calculations????

Sign up for the supporter level account here ($20 US$ per month) and spend the next month watching all the training videos Frank has put up.
Then you'll have a pretty good idea of the answer to your questions.

Your sniper friend should be guiding you along the path…. There is much to learn and it is a journey rather than a simple one outing experience. As mentioned above, sign up for the on line training and learn at your own pace.

What is a good scope. Brand???
There's probably 10-15 brands one could name just off the top of their head that make a model suitable to this. If you want 7 different answers to this question, ask any 4 of us. The scope is almost irrelevant. How you're going to deal with the 4-10 degrees, not minutes of angle but whole damned degrees, of angle you'll need to get as far as you're talking about. That's not even Charlie Tarac territory, that's custom made mounting system territory. You'll have 5 grand in the optics and mount and even getting a zero is an undertaking.

Is there an app to learn ballistics and drag coefficients MOA and wind calculations????
Apps don't teach people things. They stop people from learning them. However, yeah, there are oodles of ballistics apps and tools to provide firing solutions however, very few are able to deal with transitions from supersonic to subsonic flight and at 3-5km you'll have bullets in subsonic flight loooong before they get to the target.

Everyone I talk too about long distance says I can’t do it.
I want to prove them wrong.
And I love the challenge.
Anyone that can see and can physically pull a trigger can learn to shoot long range. It's really quite easy. It's just not simple, there's a modestly sized pile of knowledge you have to take the time to acquire in order to do it safely and efficiently. That's an opinion I'm pretty sure will get universal agreement. So, the first thing I would do in your position given the above is, whomever is saying to you that you can't do it is someone that doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about and you can and should therefore discard their opinion entirely. Once you've stopped listening to them you can start listening to the very helpful gentlemen in this thread that are trying to tell you exactly how to get there from here because ≥they do know what they're talking about.