• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY Cam System for 2K?

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    Did a search but didn't turn anything up...
    Commercially I see the Longshot LR-3, but I'd rather drop a grand on ammo than a cam system if possible.
    I'm by no means an electronics/circuit board wiz, but I can follow directions and basic schematics :)

Mirage in our location is a killer, outside of early morning/perfect conditions spotting scopes are useless at that range.
    The range has a Bullseye setup but it's more Bullshit...refresh rate is so slow it's ridiculous (and useless). No idea of the Longshot is any better, but at that cost I don't want to roll the dice, either.

There must be a thread here, somewhere?

Not sure if the ELR guys from cali have ever posted the plans for theirs but appear to be based on Ubiquiti PTZ IP cams and long range wifi gear.

ETA:
    It likely cost more than the LR-3 for both ends but can bet higher performance and image quality.

One of the guys who shoots in the NorCal ULR group uses a mid-range DSLR camera with a 200mm lens and massive optical zoom (4k or higher sensor) with an external monitor mounted. We were shooting at 2054 yards and he had the best view of the target, able to rewind to confirm, etc while the rest of us were just using spotting scopes. Before seeing this setup in action, I too was looking into a long range transmitter with remote camera setup, but now I think the digital zoom camera setup may be better.

I’m currently building a setup now using directional antennas, Wi-Fi router and security camera. Test run at house gets me 400 yds to my phone. The final setup will have directional antenna on both ends. I don’t know about 2000 yds. but 1000 seems likely. Once I finilize the setup I can let you know if it can reach 2000 yds

Attachments

• FDDCF44F-ADB5-4760-9ED5-E01077D39EE2.jpeg
      FDDCF44F-ADB5-4760-9ED5-E01077D39EE2.jpeg
      540.3 KB · Views: 25
    One of the guys who shoots in the NorCal ULR group uses a mid-range DSLR camera with a 200mm lens and massive optical zoom (4k or higher sensor) with an external monitor mounted. We were shooting at 2054 yards and he had the best view of the target, able to rewind to confirm, etc while the rest of us were just using spotting scopes. Before seeing this setup in action, I too was looking into a long range transmitter with remote camera setup, but now I think the digital zoom camera setup may be better.
    I'm looking into the Nikon P1000 for this very application. From what I've seen so far they are very impressive.