• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY hollowpoint PICS

isaaccarlson

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2011
Wisconsin
These are the jaws I use for making the hollow points. They grip well without damaging the bullet and they don't squeeze the rim.

jaws1.jpg

HP1.jpg

The on on the left was shot into a jug of water and the one on the right was shot into a half frozen jug of water. Both were hollow point. The far right is what they look like after they come out of the lathe. The original is next to it. They are very explosive. I want to try making the hole shallower but going deeper with a smaller diameter channel to keep the bullet together longer. The nose opens up and then comes off and the base keeps going.

HPresults.jpg

I shot some unfrozen pumpkins to do a little testing. The hollow points were explosive to say the least. I opened the pumpkins to see if I could find the nose sections. All I found was shredded seeds and tiny lead shrapnel.

Round nose entrance....
RNentrance.jpg

Round nose exit....
RNexit.jpg

HP entrance....
HPentrance.jpg

HP exit....
HPexit.jpg

Re: DIY hollowpoint PICS

How accurate are they shooting once so much weight is taken out of the lead?

Have you heard of a hydronic explosion bullet?
You drill a hole in the bullet like you have done. Then you put oil in the drilled hole. Then crimp a BB ( or something similar size to that if the hole drilled ) over the oil into the bullet.
When the bullet impacts it will compress the oil exploding the lead outward. I have only seen this done with a 44mag, but when loaded just right with the proper velocity the results are extremely impressive!

Not that it would work here but seeing what you are doing reminded me of this..

I thought someone wold say they were backwards. They are not. That really is the entrance. It is about the size of a 12 gauge slug.

Wow, that is explosive. I stand corrected. So the exit is just the still in tact core/base like you mentioned and the entrance is the petals/shrapnel... Crazy

Looks like there would be more blood than is usually associated with something shot with a .22 thats for sure.

Have you shot pumpkins with factory hollows? If so what do those holes look like?

I have shot them with stingers. Not much different than a regular HV round IMO. Just more shock so the hole is bigger than normal. Stingers have never expanded well for me. I don't like the way the hole is shaped. I am looking for a HP with a big cup on the front that is subsonic. I am going to try CCI subsonic hollow points next. They should keep more weight than the SV since the bullet is longer to keep the 40 grains with the hollow point. I am hoping they will stay subsonic after being bored out.

The Beeman crow magnum pellet is what got me going on this because I used them all the time when hunting with airguns. They will completely gut a small bird with a body shot and can cut a squirrel in half (I did it once). They look like this.

pell-hp2.jpg

SK makes a hp subsonic that is killer accurate in my guns. 1moa or better at 100yds. They hit prairie dogs with a thump.

Crow magnums are the ticket if you want to put a critter down now. I used them for years until I gave up airgunning this year. I took up rimfire shooting instead.

I cut the front off with a skew and then I hold a marked drill bit with a pliers and push it in until it reaches the right depth. It stays in the lathe the whole time so everything is concentric.

lathe would be the most precise way. Maybe I'll give it a whirl in a drill press, no access to a lathe.

No feeding issues. They work great. I just have to test accuracy. Hoping to do that tomorrow.

Guys,
I have a buddy in cali that uses a drill press with a marked drill bit to drill out .22's. It is quick and easy. He swears by them for short range varmints.

SOTA

This is a little off topic but years ago I had a jig that you put your .22 in and just the bullet tip stuck out then you used a file to put a flat on it.They were vary consistent and that big metplate was great on game.

I dont want to be a wet blanket or anything but this looks like a sucking chest wound just waiting to happen. Chucking a loaded rim fire into a chuck and then boring it out is just BEGGING for a darwin award.
Now with that said its amazing how much damage they did to that pumpkin
smile.gif

I will be picking up some CI SSHP tomorrow. If that does not perform the way I hope, then I will be making a shield for the lathe....I still feel safer turning it in the lathe than dropping one on concrete.....

Hey everyone,

Just sharing some info (photos) of another method(s) used for " .22 Rimfire Bullet Modification; Hollow Point/ Flat Point / Cup Point /...", for anyone interested.

I'm currently living in an apt, .. space is a bit cramped, which restricts many of my " Tinkering Projects ".

D Rock Bullet Modification System: Hollow Point / Cup Point / Flat Point.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=40815

SGB Bullet Trim Tool: Filed Flat Points
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307938

I just received (1/21/12) my new " D-Rock Bullet Modification System Die/Tools ", & set them up along side a hallway wall ( Table space 24 x 20 ).

IMG_3935_edited-1.jpg

D-Rock Tool/Die & Adapter Plate on ENCO Arbor Press.
IMG_3948_edited-1.jpg

D - Rock Arbor Adapter Plate.
IMG_3950_edited-1.jpg

IMG_3946_edited-1.jpg

Lft - Rt:
SGB Trim Tool : .940 / .860 / .800 .
CNC : (2) Aluminum Loading Blocks.
D- Rock : Modification System Adapter Plate.
ENCO : Arbor Press.
D- Rock : White plastic Loading Block.
D- Rock : Modification Bullet Sizer Die , (6) Forming Rod(s) & Collar(s), inside Plastic Storage Case.
Reference Material : Rifleman's Guide To Rimfire Ammunition.

JP

JunkYardPerro, looks like you are really into the rimfire scene. I don't blame you, I put more .22 LR down range than any other caliber. Nice pics.

Well, I used to be into " Highpower & Combat Pistol "..

However... I can't seem to find the funds to play as much, after the divorce & having to live on " Half " of my take home pay ) :

So, it's " Rimfire / Smallbore ", until I win Lotto !

JP