• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

DIY kydex cheak rest

desertrat1979

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2006
Southern NV
Figure it took more time than money to make this one. All I need to do is get some hardware.

Sketched an idea onto graph paper, and cut it as a template.
5192012004.jpg

Then I got some Coyote Brown Kydex .090 thick from Custom Knife Kits. Using tin snips, file and sand paper I worked the sketch onto the Kydex.
5192012005.jpg

Oven @ 350* Kydex in for 5 minutes and it was very pliable. Its actually very easy to work and handle. I had penciled a centerline on the Kydex to use as a guideline for centering in the stock.
5192012006.jpg

I saved any other cuts for last. I wanted the Kydex to set a perfect as I could to minimize distortion. It worked, there wasn't any.
5192012009.jpg

Using a dremel, file and sand paper I cut and smoothed the slots, and bolt relief. Now off to the hardware store.
5192012011.jpg

Oh, the cost of a 12x12 sheet of kydex is less than $8. I doubt the hardware will be more than $5. It took about an hour and a half to draw it out, another hour and a half to do the cut n mold. Not too bad.

Re: DIY kydex cheak rest

Right on.
I did the same thing for my Boyd tacticool. Not wanting to drill through the stock I used velcro and spray contact adhesive. Loop on the stock, hook on the inside of the cheek piece. It takes a couple of plastic cards or butter knives and a sheet of paper to set and adjust but it turned out to be unbelievably solid.

Well right now its as done as its gonna get. The one thing I want to do is get a threaded insert to put inside the stock itself and epoxy it into place. Right now I am using a setup with 2 tee-nuts. It works fine, I just want the threads to be further inside the stock. But, everything works, its rock solid. Just had to play with it a bit to compensate for the stock pack.
5192012012.jpg

Plenty of clearance to remove the bolt.
5192012013.jpg

Still have to remove the stock pack if I need to take the bolt out. I am happy with it.
5192012015.jpg

If you want to add some "soft texture" or padding to it try 1/8"-1/4" neoprene (I got mine at Micheals Crafts Store approx $0.80 a 11"x11" sheet. A little 3M spray adhesive some clamping and stretching and it's real nice.

Well, I ordered some kydex and am going to try this for my 308 and 22. Hopefully it turns out well.

I just bit the bullet and ordered one from Defensive Edge.. easier then trying to mess around with it myself. I have also used the Karsten one too.

I am amazed at how easy it was. Took more time getting the hardware together than anything else.

wow, that looks great. im kinda shocked at how simple this was and why i never thought of trying it.

I'm jumping on the bandwagon...I'm sure if I do a quick google search I can find it, but I thought I would ask here first, Any good sources for buying kydex?

How long did it take the kydex to harden up after heating? Did you wrap it around the stock and leave it in place or use a clamp? Looks like a neat project.

it hardens very fast, just 10 sec and its hard. I used a hot air gun, and i put som thick papers between the kydex and my stock so i wouldnt heat it too much. Just make a mark on the middle of the plate so you know where to bend it. I just heated, bended and held it in place with my hands and waited...

also for padding, i used some armaflex insulation. i work in the mechanical field and we use this stuff to insulate chillers. its soft, and will hold its shape for a while. hot a 1/2" on my butt stock right now.

Any of you guys want to cut another out and sell it to me?

I need a LOT of altitude added, and have one stock I'm willing to drill, and would most likely need nonstandard slot spacing.

And being a hardware nut, I'll scare up that stuff easy enough. I have two sources less than two miles away, three if you go to four miles.

I'm clumsy enough it would probably be best for it to be pre-bent.

Just hopin...

My current cheekpiece is spray foam molded to the shape of the stock. Fixed height and I need another 10mm...

Man that's pretty slick. Looks like I'm going to have to order some kydex

Can you give more specifics on the hardware? I like those big, molded knobs.

Is it hard to get drilled through the stock straight? How did you do it?